shape
carat
color
clarity

rose ceremony?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Our officiant suggested doing a rose ceremony...has anyone done this or been to a wedding that had one? thoughts/experiences?

here is one version

Rose Ceremony
Your gift to each other for your wedding today has been your wedding rings - which shall always be an outward demonstration of your love and respect; and a public showing of your commitment to each other. You now have what remains the most honorable title which may exist between a man and a woman - the title of "husband" and "wife”.

In the past, the rose was considered a symbol of love and a single rose always meant only one thing - "I love you." So it is appropriate that for your first gift - as husband and wife - that gift would be a single rose. Get Roses from bride's mom and groom's mom. Please exchange your first gift as husband and wife.

In some ways it seems like you have not done anything at all. Just a moment ago you were holding a single rose - and you are still holding a single rose. In many ways, a marriage ceremony is just like that. For yesterday, you were a man and a woman deeply in love; tomorrow, you will be a man and a woman deeply in love. But something has happened here today; something mysterious and sacred and unexplainable. For today you have stood in front of your friends and family and God and committed yourself together in a ceremony and commitment of love.

My request is that no matter where you are, that each year on this date you exchange a rose as a remembrance of the love that brought you here today - and also as a recommitment of your vows to each other.

In every marriage there are times where it is difficult to find the right words. It might be difficult some time to words to say "I am sorry" or "I forgive you". If this should happen, if you simply cannot find these words, leave a rose at that spot which both of you have selected - for that rose says that “No matter what, I love you."

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
While it sounds nice and no less meaningful than a unity candle or sand ceremony, etc., I could never take it seriously because of "The Bachelor" shows. A cheesey rose ceremony at the end of each show, and how many of these people have actually gotten married to the "winner"?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guilty Pleasure|1315494826|3012705 said:
While it sounds nice and no less meaningful than a unity candle or sand ceremony, etc., I could never take it seriously because of "The Bachelor" shows. A cheesey rose ceremony at the end of each show, and how many of these people have actually gotten married to the "winner"?
That is EXACTLY what I thought of when I saw this post!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, slg, it seems a bit cheesy to me, too. Perhaps because of the TV show.

That said, I'm no fan of any of these special ceremonies in weddings.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
Just so you know, I don't really watch the Bachelor, and while I thought it tread a little close to being corny, all of the symbolisms got the best of me... I really really think it's lovely, and if you want to pull it off, do it. :))

It struck a chord with me because I know something like that would mean a lot to my FH and me. In the end, the ceremony is for and about you two and no one else!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
mscushion|1315512720|3012921 said:
Honestly, slg, it seems a bit cheesy to me, too. Perhaps because of the TV show.

That said, I'm no fan of any of these special ceremonies in weddings.

haha I thought of the bachelor also :) When our officiant was describing it thought it sounded nice! I am not really sure if we will do it or not...I will ask FI what he thinks. I was just interested to hear some opinions!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1315494873|3012707 said:
Whatever you do, DON'T say, "will you accept this rose." Otherwise you will hear giggles from your guests!!

I find it to be more in the category of a "symbolic" something that doesn't mean much because like you said you start with a rose and end with a rose. All you've done is switch roses. Nothing signifies you being a joined couple. I bet you can find something that is more meaningful.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1315494873|3012707 said:

+1

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
It's a lovely thought, but I agree that those silly reality TV shows ruin it. Instead of a rose, you could use another flower to distance it from TV. How about a bright red or white carnation (based on the meanings here: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/carnation-flower-meaning.html)? Also, the Japanese have a language of flowers, with each flower representing a different emotion. You could use any of the ones on this list that symbolize love, such as a red tulip:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_of_flowers

ETA: Just realized that's not actually the Japanese one I was referring to, but this one is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanakotoba#Flowers_and_their_meanings

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results