shape
carat
color
clarity

Roman Catholic Service at Hampton Court Palace

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Roman Catholic service will be held on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at Hampton Court Palace. It will be the first Roman Catholic service held there in almost 500 years since Henry VIII threatened to break Great Britain's ties with the Church in 1530. It is also the venue from which Henry VII made his threat against the papacy, a threat which, ultimately, led to changing the official religion of Great Britain from Roman Catholic to Anglican.

In recent years the Roman Catholic and Anglican Churches have moved to end divisiveness between them. It is no longer against the law for a British monarch to be married to a Roman Catholic, although, since the days of the Stuart kings, it is still illegal for the monarch to be a Roman Catholic himself.

Here is a link to an article in, "The New York Times"...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/10/world/europe/hampton-court-henry-catholic.html?_r=0

AGBF

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Fascinating! I wanted to attend a mass there years ago, but DH was concerned that I'm Catholic and it would be disrespectful and tourist to do so.

It's such a beautiful building with such an interesting history.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1455043866|3988925 said:
A Roman Catholic service will be held on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at Hampton Court Palace.

I misspoke above. The service is not about to be held; it was already held on February 9. It was conducted "mostly in Latin" by The Archbishop of Westminster, Cardinal Vincent Nichols supported by the Anglican bishop of London, Right Reverend Dr. Richard Chartres who was there to show solidarity. There was accompanying choral music from the 15th and 16th centuries.

Link...http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/09/hampton-courts-chapel-royal-stages-first-catholic-service-for-450-years

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results