shape
carat
color
clarity

Robbins Bros - overpaid? please help!

journey201

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm new to PriceScope and I'm soooo glad I came across here! :)

I'm recently engaged, and my fiancé got me this beautiful ring. I'm very happy with the setting. But after looking over the diamond certificate and doing some research online together, we're afraid that he has overpaid for the quality of the stone.

I'd like to ask you to critique the diamond.

IGI cert.
Cert date: March June 17,2010
Shape: Cushion
Measurement: 5.66 x 5.48 x 3.88 MM
Carat Weight: 0.94
Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade: SI2
Cutting Style: Modified Brilliant
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Depth: 70.8%
Table: 63.6%
Girdle: Thick to Very Thick, FAC
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Price: $3,895 (Diamond only, before $398.03 Corp Discount Applied)

Do you think I can get a better color diamond? I can clearly see yellow tint on my current diamond. Also, what part does the Depth and Table play? Is mine too high? Do you think I can go for GIA cert. diamond?

If by all means I can get a better quality diamond for the price, I would want to visit the Robbins Brothers store and ask for a trade. Since the corp discount was applied, it's not refundable. So I need to do best I can to get the best quality diamond for the money. Any tips on what to prepare before I visit? I hear RB Torrance is notorious for bad service...

Thank you so much in advance!!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if you are unhappy with the diamond, I would look into exchanging it. Are you looking for a cushion cut?

as far as that particular diamond there is not much we can say from the numbers but I would look for GIA or AGS certification as other labs are considered to be 'soft' on grading color and clarity.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say that if it were a GIA graded stone it would have probably been lower in color, more like a j/k and may be even lower in clarity, maybe an I1. If you check a site like James Allen which has GIA certed stones with actual photos similar diamonds sell for between 1500 and 2500, I would definitely say you overpaid. Even though they say no refunds, I would try my hardest to get one anyway. If you like the setting say you'll keep the setting you just want to return the stone. Then you have the freedom to check out any online vendor with much better pricing and GIA certed stones.

This is the James Allen page with similar specs: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1371410.asp

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
if you can trade or return the stone. do it and look for GIA or AGS ones for sure~

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would try to return the diamond if at all possible and we'll help you start over. We get posts like this fairly frequently. I'll see if I can find the most recent thread. That grading lab is not one of the good ones, so your stone is likely much lower in color and clarity than it says. So there's little doubt that he overpaid. If you have no other choice you could insist on exchanging for a GIA diamond but you'll have to pay more to get one that is really I SI2 since the other one would have been cheaper with an inflated report. Be very careful to look and see if you can see inclusions because you sometimes can with an SI2.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you can get your money back. It was probably not the best idea to buy something you can't return and then come ask us if you overpaid..... what if you did? You can't return it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results