shape
carat
color
clarity

River Cruise--Holiday/Vacation

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sharon: My internist took one last year and said it was the best vacation he ever took. AARP Magazine with Kirk Douglas on the cover has a good writeup on Viking River Cruises (and others).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1457912894|4004651 said:
Hi Sharon: My internist took one last year and said it was the best vacation he ever took. AARP Magazine with Kirk Douglas on the cover has a good writeup on Viking River Cruises (and others).

Thank you Kristie! I wonder what made it so memorable...and I'll check out the magazine!

Incidentally, I know two people who've taken this itinerary and said it was "tops" compared to others they've done.

cheers--Sharon

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I plan to take one when the kids are grown. My friend took one and said that while it was expensive, it was wonderful and they had a fabulous time.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like an interesting cruise Sharon. I've only been on one -- down the Amazon River on this boat,
which is a bit different than the typical cruise. If you're into giant bugs, fish-eating bats with 6 ft wingspans, and lots of mosquitos, I highly recommend a float down the Amazon. LOL.

la_amatista2.jpeg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1457920642|4004720 said:
That looks like an interesting cruise Sharon. I've only been on one -- down the Amazon River on this boat,
which is a bit different than the typical cruise. If you're into giant bugs, fish-eating bats with 6 ft wingspans, and lots of mosquitos, I highly recommend a float down the Amazon. LOL.

Thanks Matata--you needed your cats for protection! I'll consider the Amatista for 2018! :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1457919578|4004704 said:
I plan to take one when the kids are grown. My friend took one and said that while it was expensive, it was wonderful and they had a fabulous time.

MH, we are taking our grown kid!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh, I have looked at those, too!!! I love the idea of it very much! I will look forward to seeing your review afterwards!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1457921761|4004736 said:
momhappy|1457919578|4004704 said:

MH, we are taking our grown kid!

I keep seeing the commercials for the Viking River Boat Cruises and DH and I have a running joke about how we are jumping on one of those as soon as the kids are off to college ;-)

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW! I AM into giant bugs - mosquitos...not so much. What a fabulous looking boat.
I'll be watching this thread with interest. A river cruise sounds so much more relaxing that driving around a country.
Sharon, I'm excited for you that you are considering this : )

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sharon! We have booked our first river cruise this summer on the Danube with Tauck who came highly recommded by my travel agent. I'm not sure that they offer the interesting itinerary that you posted though. St. Petersburg is one of the most fascinating places we have ever been!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial|1457962328|4005030 said:
Hi Sharon! We have booked our first river cruise this summer on the Danube with Tauck who came highly recommded by my travel agent. I'm not sure that they offer the interesting itinerary that you posted though. St. Petersburg is one of the most fascinating places we have ever been!

How exciting! Sundial, did you choose the itinerary, and your travel agent recommended the vendor? I always wonder how this works. Are people "brand" loyal to vendor like they are here! II wonder if they have a Tiffany or Cartier ship, LOL.

Anyway, it is the itinerary that is the draw for us. So I need to do some homework as to boat/ship/cruise line.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1457959549|4005001 said:

WOW! I AM into giant bugs - mosquitos...not so much. What a fabulous looking boat.
I'll be watching this thread with interest. A river cruise sounds so much more relaxing that driving around a country.
Sharon, I'm excited for you that you are considering this : )

Thanks JA. Last trip we walked Paris but drove about Tuscany. The driving while relatively easy was stressful.(I got shingles when I got home but enough about that...) I said I wouldn't do the driving bit again. As Russia is such a large country, yet I am not sure overland by car/foot is a good idea. Long ship seems a great alternative!

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sharon! We have booked our first river cruise this summer on the Danube with Tauck who came highly recommended by my travel agent. I'm not sure that they offer the interesting itinerary that you posted though. St. Petersburg is one of the most fascinating places we have ever been!

Oh, I will look into this cruise line. They include gratuities and I find that SO much easier! I like everything possible included!

http://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/cruise-companies/viking-river-cruises-vs-uniworld-river-cruises/

I hope to go in 2017. The one thing that scares me is that we have 3 elderly parents at this point, and I need to see if trip insurance covers emergencies during travel.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, my husband has commented he'd prefer driving in Europe, and there is zero way I would consider that (anywhere)! It seems sooo much more stressful. I can't think of anything more relaxing than riverboat cruising! The all-inclusive aspect just takes a lot of work out of it, too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What do you think about jewelry on this kind of trip?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1457963446|4005042 said:

How exciting! Sundial, did you choose the itinerary, and your travel agent recommended the vendor? I always wonder how this works. Are people "brand" loyal to vendor like they are here! II wonder if they have a Tiffany or Cartier ship, LOL.

Anyway, it is the itinerary that is the draw for us. So I need to do some homework as to boat/ship/cruise line.

cheers--Sharon

We decided on our itinerary first and then got her suggestions on river cruise lines. We have also added some land time to the trip.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1457967027|4005058 said:
Hi Sharon! We have booked our first river cruise this summer on the Danube with Tauck who came highly recommended by my travel agent. I'm not sure that they offer the interesting itinerary that you posted though. St. Petersburg is one of the most fascinating places we have ever been!

Oh, I will look into this cruise line. They include gratuities and I find that SO much easier! I like everything possible included!

http://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/cruise-companies/viking-river-cruises-vs-uniworld-river-cruises/

I hope to go in 2017. The one thing that scares me is that we have 3 elderly parents at this point, and I need to see if trip insurance covers emergencies during travel.

These river cruises book up in advance so you do want to plan ahead. You should be able to find trip insurance that will address your needs. We have purchased CSA on past trips and actually had them pay a claim one time because of a cancellation due to a medical emergency. As for jewelry I will wear a few of my good pieces but I will probably leave the larger solitaire at home.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Travel agent here. I'd recommend Viking, I've rarely heard of any problems/complaints with them. I just got an email for a buy one/get one sale they are having right now. Might be worth checking it out.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1457980606|4005170 said:
Travel agent here. I'd recommend Viking, I've rarely heard of any problems/complaints with them. I just got an email for a buy one/get one sale they are having right now. Might be worth checking it out.

Thanks. I recently received a mailer and saw the itinerary I was interested in.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial|1457976364|4005149 said:
canuk-gal|1457963446|4005042 said:

cheers--Sharon

We decided on our itinerary first and then got her suggestions on river cruise lines. We have also added some land time to the trip.

:wavey: Thanks Sundial.

There are cruise information night--we will attend one. Things a little hectic around here at the moment, but when they settle down we will attend one of these info sessions! AMA hosts.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1457967274|4005062 said:
Sharon, my husband has commented he'd prefer driving in Europe, and there is zero way I would consider that (anywhere)! It seems sooo much more stressful. I can't think of anything more relaxing than riverboat cruising! The all-inclusive aspect just takes a lot of work out of it, too.

DS:

My husband hadn't driven a standard in decades, but they are so sophisticated now it wasn't an issue. Travelling on the highways are a dream and drivers courteous. That wasn't it either...it was planning exact routes and traffic inside unknown cities. While we had a Garmin, it isn't the best way to let you know how to get around. Or finding parking. Exits/signage in foreign languages are a challenge even if you have some native language capability. Driving in small towns abuut Tuscany was easy (but narrow!) it was the cities that had me on the edge of my seat.

I am too old for that nervous travel. I loved that as a youth in Asia and Europe, but now I am all about ease and luxury! :cheeky: :lol:
I suspect that is why overland tours are as popular as cruising. But Russia is a LONG haul!

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1457984286|4005209 said:
diamondseeker2006|1457967274|4005062 said:

DS:

My husband hadn't driven a standard in decades, but they are so sophisticated now it wasn't an issue. Travelling on the highways are a dream and drivers courteous. That wasn't it either...it was planning exact routes and traffic inside unknown cities. While we had a Garmin, it isn't the best way to let you know how to get around. Or finding parking. Exits/signage in foreign languages are a challenge even if you have some native language capability. Driving in small towns abuut Tuscany was easy (but narrow!) it was the cities that had me on the edge of my seat.

I am too old for that nervous travel. I loved that as a youth in Asia and Europe, but now I am all about ease and luxury! :cheeky: :lol:
I suspect that is why overland tours are as popular as cruising. But Russia is a LONG haul!

cheers--Sharon

My husband drives Porsches and strongly prefers manual transmissions, and I am sure he just dreams of driving at unlimited speeds on the Autobahn or something! lol! Aside from the fear associated with that scenario, ALL of my other hesitations you have named above!! I am 100% with you on ease and luxury. Let me write a check and then relax . Russia is a very long haul for sure. I'd probably have to stop a few days in Europe to break up that long trip! I really want to do a Danube riverboat trip first, though, and that way we can decide if that is how we'd like to travel again. My husband will retire early in mid-2017, so I am kind of planning for a trip around or after that time. Right now he can't be away for more than a week at a time even though he has 6 weeks vacation.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial...thanks! I think I would be conservative about what I took with me as well. I also agree that the trip cancellation insurance would be necessary on a major trip like this.

amc80...that is very good to know that you approve of Viking. One thing I think my husband will prefer is that they do not require any semi-formal nights. He really likes to relax on vacation.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sharon! :wavey:
So funny you mentioned a European river cruise..
I just booked one for the fall.. it's a 7 day sailing on the Rhine from Zurich to Amsterdam on Avalon River Cruises.
We have sailed in Europe for the past few years and wanted to try something different.
Hubs gets seasick if it's really rough so a river cruise is perfect.. no waves. :dance:
I realized on the last cruise we took that we didn't do any of the activities on board at all (no bingo, no trivia) so I think a small ship will be fine.. give me free internet so I can still troll Ebay on our down time and I will be happy. lol
I do think that we (at 53) will be on the young end of the other passengers.
Our last day is in Amsterdam and of course I already have looked up where the Cartier is there. I know you would too!
A cruise in Russia sounds wonderful!! I have heard great things about Viking too.
Let us know what you decide. :wavey:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubies-R-Me|1458174556|4006424 said:
Hi Sharon! :wavey:
So funny you mentioned a European river cruise..
I just booked one for the fall.. it's a 7 day sailing on the Rhine from Zurich to Amsterdam on Avalon River Cruises.
We have sailed in Europe for the past few years and wanted to try something different.
Hubs gets seasick if it's really rough so a river cruise is perfect.. no waves. :dance:
I realized on the last cruise we took that we didn't do any of the activities on board at all (no bingo, no trivia) so I think a small ship will be fine.. give me free internet so I can still troll Ebay on our down time and I will be happy. lol
I do think that we (at 53) will be on the young end of the other passengers.
Our last day is in Amsterdam and of course I already have looked up where the Cartier is there. I know you would too!
A cruise in Russia sounds wonderful!! I have heard great things about Viking too.
Let us know what you decide. :wavey:

Hey Rubies! :wavey:

Did you find exactly what you wanted for this fall, or did you find itineraries and certain rooms already picked over? I know my sister was looking for their family (Mediterranean) but said what she wanted was already gone for 2016.

Thing is, I am not a great cruiser, either! No big waves or bingo for me! :lol: I'd prefer a smaller vessel with no buffets and excursions to Cartier and Bvlgari!! That is interesting about the age category--I know these cruises don't tend to be for families, but the plan is for our 22 year old to come along.

My pal recently went on a long River Cruise in China and said they were spoiled--they adored it! Sounds good to me!

cheers--Sharon

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again Sharon! :wavey:
Just finished watching my favorite show.. "My 600lb Life" Heartbreaking and fascinating all at the same time! :cry:
We usually go in the late fall.. because it's off season, there is a lot of availability and the prices are lower. I think in the summer there is a much greater demand and if a river ship has only 80 cabins or so I'm sure they do sell out. If you get queasy and but still want to consider an ocean cruise try a cruise that leaves from Venice and goes down the Adriatic. In my experience that is the smoothest part of the Mediterranean.
I did hear that river cruising is definitely an older crowd in general but in the summer there will certainly be some families so your 22 year old might have some other young folk to hang out with. We have been on big ships and small ships and I agree with you 100% that small ships are the way to go unless you really like the shows, activities and lots to do. In Europe it's really all about the ports (and the shopping of course!) so whichever cruise you choose it will be awesome!!!! :D

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We've been considering River Cruises and everyone I've spoken to raves about Tauck cruises, it sounds like they do various amazing itineraries around Europe....but it's not cheap! I have no connection to them, just passing on what looks to be a good recommendation.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubies-R-me....you are a genius! I will now pick cruises that have cities with major jewelers! That never crossed my mind, believe it or not!

Wouldn't it be awesome if some of us could plan to be on the same cruise? That would make it even more fun!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi DS!
Yes.. how fun would that be? We could run shore excursions to the fancy shopping streets for the whole ship. Volume discount! :appl:
I'm in!! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results