RIP. No More Pee Wee

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So fresh and creative.

"He captivated kids and freaked out adults." NYT

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
We are so sad too @kenny, we used to watch his PeeWee's Playhouse Saturday morning show with our children - it was hilarious!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Pee Wee was a HUGE part of my childhood and part of my children's childhood.
To say that he informed my personality is an understatement. What a loss. What great memories he gave us. I loved him. We all did.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
We also watched Pee Wee's Playhouse with our kids and thought it was hilarious. Years later we saw him in a more serious role, and were surprised by his acting talent - he wasn't just a goofball. Then during the thick of the pandemic we were catching up on some comedy series we never really got into in their first runs on tv (so much easier to stream episode after episode) and low and behold there he was again in 30 Rock season 1, episode 12 (Black Tie.) He had us in stitches all over again, and it is still one of our favorite episodes! He was a delight!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Fez (from Euphoria), too. Sad day all around.

I don't know what kids saw in Pee-wee but, as a young adult, I thought he was absolutely hilarious.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just learned about crimes Paul Reubens pleaded guilty to. :nono:
This is described in this link:

I disagree with cancel culture.

From the best person to the worst person ever, their good and bad sides BOTH exist.
Good and bad don't cancel each other. :doh:
They both coexist.

Bad X does not cancel good Y.
Nobody is all good or all bad.
Nobody.

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do remember his arrest after the exposure incident.

I never really watched him so don't have an opinion on his acting abilities but I do know many thought he was very funny. And I agree, to a certain extent, that bad X doesn't cancel good Y, but only up to a point. To me, it depends on the bad X. Something like murder would cancel any good Y I can think of.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do remember his arrest after the exposure incident.

I never really watched him so don't have an opinion on his acting abilities but I do know many thought he was very funny. And I agree, to a certain extent, that bad X doesn't cancel good Y, but only up to a point. To me, it depends on the bad X. Something like murder would cancel any good Y I can think of.

Let's say I donated a billion dollars to address world hunger.
Years of data proved my donation resulted a substantial reduction in hunger.
Then I murdered someone.

That billion dollars I donated vanishes, time reverses, and those people retroactively go back to being hungry?
That wold be canceling.

1. First do a good thing.
2. Then do a bad thing.

#2 cancels #1? Really? Uhm, I don't think so.

Surely there must be another more-accurate word to describe a person's bad vs. good.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I do understand and practice ...

After paying attention to the misogynist lyrics of songs by the Eagles I would not support them with my dollars by going to a concert or buying their music.

Still I feel no guilt/shame enjoying the Eagles' music itself, in spite of the disagreeing with some lyrics.
I also appreciate the the music of Richard Wagner, whom I believe held antisemitic views.
Sorry, but enjoying good music does not make ME antisemitic.

Weren't many founders of America slave owners?
So that means America is hereby cancelled? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results