shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring thickness and 4/6 prongs

mission1

Shiny_Rock
I've now got my BN diamond (0.9ct round, ideal/G/SI1) and am in the process of choosing a setting. I'd decided on 6 prong as I thought this would round it off and make the diamond look slightly larger, but when I looked at a 4 prong setting at the jewellers it didn't make the diamond look as square as I'd feared. I appreciate that it's just down to personal preference, but any views based on the pic below (diamond is just balanced between the prongs, so they'd be tighter in once the stone is set).

My girlfriend had said a while ago that she quite liked the slim/tapered look on rings. She's quite petite but thinks she has chunky fingers (does every female think this? :D). The image below is a 1.6mm platinum - any thoughts, and would I notice the difference if I found one at around 2mm?

image1.jpeg

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@rockysalamander do you think the warping would be true in platinum as well as gold? I'm in the process of designing a ring and have been pondering this.

At OP, to be honest, I've always been paranoid about 4 prongs and have always chosen more. I do see the argument of the prongs overwhelming the stone, however.

I think the look of the ring you posted is classic and elegant. Congrats to you!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander do you think the warping would be true in platinum as well as gold? I'm in the process of designing a ring and have been pondering this.

At OP, to be honest, I've always been paranoid about 4 prongs and have always chosen more. I do see the argument of the prongs overwhelming the stone, however.

I think the look of the ring you posted is classic and elegant. Congrats to you!

Platinum is squisher than gold, so yes it is an issue. Platinum is preferred due to its ability to hold stones because it deform under a blow vs gold which tends to crack. Palladium white gold is a good middle ground if you can get it. I personally have platinum for anything I buy. Platinum will tend to be matte finish over time. Gold retains a shine better.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer 6 prongs to 4 for a round stone always. I just like the look more. I have gems that are 4 mm in eight prongs even and I don’t think the prongs overwhelm them.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer 6 prongs to 4 for a round stone always. I just like the look more. I have gems that are 4 mm in eight prongs even and I don’t think the prongs overwhelm them.

If the prongs are well done and delicate, I'll change my vote to 6. But, so many jewelers make them huge and clunky and then all I see is prongs.

So, @mission1 have you seen this jeweler's prong work to judge if they can do delicate for a 6-prong?

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Hi, they get very good reviews, but I haven't checked examples of their work, no.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prongs can catch on something and bend.
More prongs is safer than fewer prongs.
Thicker prongs are safer than thin delicate ones.

Diamonds are expensive.
I'd go with what's safest, but to each their own.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve done 4 and 6 prongs and then my mother ham handed her ring with a dish towel and her diamond flew in the kitchen and we have never been able to find it. It was uninsured and from my late father, so ever since then, I’m back to 6 prongs.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
It's a personal style preference. The 6 prong may make the stone look bigger, as eyes may focus on the 4 prongs which would make the stone appear smaller. The 6 prong is also more secure.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all. On balance I think I prefer the 4 prongs if they're slim enough, but from the options I looked at they were either tiny prongs that looked good but I wouldn't trust, or chunky prongs that squared up the stone too much.

In the end, and informed by your responses, I've gone for a design with 6 delicate prongs, and I trust the jeweller to do a good job. The ring itself has a slightly thicker platinum shank than I'd initially aimed for - it's 2.5mm when I had 2mm in mind - though not sure I'd notice 0.5mm in reality? It has a slight taper/pinch towards the stone and I've asked the jeweller to increase the taper a bit.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty! I love the 6 prongs.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Just pondering (obsessing) - does the SI1 diamond in the first pic look in any way cloudy to the experts on here? The bit I'm looking at is the slight greyness at the 6-9pm in the photo. I haven't noticed it does "in person"

Cloud was one of the grade settings (not the primary setting and the inclusions appeared to be very localised), but I did check with the BN gemologist who said there were no issues.

L

lydial

I do not think your girlfriend will like 2.5 mm shank with a 0.9 ct diamond. not if she is looking for delicate and dainty. Reconsider. It will not look dainty. If the taper is down to 1.5 it may be ok.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Arghh - thanks, I think! The band has a pinch/taper - as per the attached, and the jeweller has subsequently increased the taper for me, so I'm committed to this ring now. I'll raise with the jeweller again....

Attachments

• 1575982811682.png
    1575982811682.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 32

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I loved the first setting you showed. I prefer 4 prong on RB with delicate prongs, but that’s just me. I’m sure she will love it either way. Sometimes you have to go with your gut/instincts because too many different views/ opinions can overwhelm you in the process.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
I loved the first setting you showed. I prefer 4 prong on RB with delicate prongs, but that’s just me. I’m sure she will love it either way. Sometimes you have to go with your gut/instincts because too many different views/ opinions can overwhelm you in the process.

I liked it too - but it was only a 1.6mm shank and the 4 prongs were very small, so I was worried that it wouldn't be robust enough.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
I took on board the feedback on here that 2.5mm was going to be a but thick, and asked the jeweller to thin the band to 1.9mm, with a gentle taper. I can't get a decent photo but I'm really pleased with the end result - and now looking forward to seeing my girlfriend's reaction!

Thanks all for the replies on this thread.

IMG_8314.jpg IMG_8331.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results