shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Superstitions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sheribaaby

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone.. I was just wondering what superstitions are out there about e-rings - My sister insists that it is "bad luck" to let someone else try on your ring... "bad luck" to wear your wedding band before the wedding...

Has anyone else ever heard of those?

Any others out there?

Sheri

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Nope, never heard them. But then I don''t believe in that stuff.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is bad luck to buy at a mall or anywhere offline.

Actually there must be a superstition, or at least a stigma, about wearing a used diamond - especially from a divorce.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Kenny I agree with you about wearing a divorce diamond. I don''t consider it superstition but almost a bad karma kind of thing.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I''ve heard those but don''t believe either of them. I MAKE people try on my engagement ring to see how pretty it is!
2.gif
9.gif
And I wear my wedding ring around the apartment sometimes since I don''t get to wear it for real for another year!
39.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Part of the divorce proceedings should be to grind up the diamond in a garbage disposal.

32.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Na, why break the garbage disposal. Just sell the thing. I think its only bad karma if you KNOW The diamond is from a divorce. So if its sold, it can be recerted and nobody will be the wiser. Why grind up good money. At least get some money for the diamond in a divorce.

Or, the woman could keep the diamond and reset it if she can get rid of the emotional attachement. Like a pendant.

I just think its bad karma if a divorced person say gives the diamond to her daughter or friend or sister who wears the diamond KNOWING it was from a divorce. Or if a man uses a diamond from his first marriage for his second wife, YIKES!

But recycling it to a stranger in the form of a sale or the person who owns it wearing it as a different piece of jewelery, nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 10:55:48 AM
Author: kenny
It is bad luck to buy at a mall or anywhere offline.

Actually there must be a superstition, or at least a stigma, about wearing a used diamond - especially from a divorce.
OK......Kenny what''s up? Second reference to divorce today. I hope this isn''t something you are personally going through??

Rod

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
subtle, rod!!
40.gif

re: the superstitions...i don''t know that i believe that karma attaches itself to something like diamonds...or superstitions. if you unset the diamond, it''s just a diamond. plus many of the ones we see out in the stores or similar have been ''pre-owned''...and if you own an old stone it is definitely pre-owned maybe a few times over. kind of interesting to wonder about the history of a diamond.

as for letting people try it on etc...i let anyone who wants to try it on and i try on their rings too, i love seeing my set and rings on other people''s hands because it usually looks totally different than when you wear it!! if bad superstitions or something attaches to that, well then at the last bayarea gathering i got like 30 rounds of bad luck because i think everyone at the table wore my ring and i wore everyone elses too. heee.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... I can understand why superstitious people might attach those kinds of beliefs to something as significant and sentimental as an e-ring. Personally, I''m not superstitious at all... so all are welcome to try on my e-ring, and if I had a wedding band, I''d be doing the exact same thing as Albi!
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 10:55:48 AM
Author: kenny

i hope not cause I just bought one
40.gif
. It''s not the diamonds fault and buying it on consigment allowed me to help the previous owner get a fair price for her stone which helps her too.. I wouldn''t want it in the same setting she used but who knows where the stone was before she bought it. We don''t always no the history of antique or estate pieces either. I guess it''s just how you look at it.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I heard a weird one: Apparently the concept of an open culet was not going over well in certain Asian cultures because they felt that an evil spirit could get into a stone by entering that culet. Maybe a fung shui thing. Pretty strange, huh?

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 12:00:06 PM
Author: Mara
subtle, rod!!
40.gif

re: the superstitions...i don''t know that i believe that karma attaches itself to something like diamonds...or superstitions. if you unset the diamond, it''s just a diamond. plus many of the ones we see out in the stores or similar have been ''pre-owned''...and if you own an old stone it is definitely pre-owned maybe a few times over. kind of interesting to wonder about the history of a diamond.

as for letting people try it on etc...i let anyone who wants to try it on and i try on their rings too, i love seeing my set and rings on other people''s hands because it usually looks totally different than when you wear it!! if bad superstitions or something attaches to that, well then at the last bayarea gathering i got like 30 rounds of bad luck because i think everyone at the table wore my ring and i wore everyone elses too. heee.
I guess not.........sorry, shouldn''t have been so direct. I just hope Kenny is OK.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have heard it is bad luck for someone to try on your ering but don''t buy into that sort of stuff. I love letting people try on my ering and love trying on theirs as well.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
My mother told me that when she got engaged, she had this crazy idea that it was bad luck to take off her ring, so she never did, for a time. Now she doesn''t wear it around the house much. I take mine off to sleep and put it back after the shower. I don''t buy into the "not trying on w-band" and such superstitions. I wouldn''t mind letting someone try on my ring if I know this person is going to be extra careful with it.

I don''t buy into the wedding superstitions I know of either, I''ll probably be trying to convince my FI to take the wedding pics before the ceremony! I''m not really fond of the garter and bouquet thing, but I do like the "something old, something blue, something borrowed and something blue" one.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 4:20:59 PM
Author: anchor31

I don''t buy into the wedding superstitions I know of either, I''ll probably be trying to convince my FI to take the wedding pics before the ceremony! I''m not really fond of the garter and bouquet thing, but I do like the ''something old, something blue, something borrowed and something blue'' one.
HI:

I always thought of this practice as a "tradition".

cheers--Sharon

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t believe in any of that stuff.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results