shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Shopping... Again :) And I found my DREAM SETTING!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I was away everyone. I just wanted you all to know I got a job at a really fun company :) and thanks for the dust!!!!!!
Doesn't pay much, but my SO said don't worry about it. If you love your job, I'm happy. *Squeal*!

About a month ago (when i posted about looking for a job) my SO gave me some really upsetting news. He was going to propose around valentine's day, but was stopped. For reasons, I will not discuss because they still make me upset to this day. That said, however, he promised that because I was being good and waiting i could get a better E-ring. *even bigger squeal*

so, he took me shopping! Again! I had my heart set on an antique diamond about a month ago, but he just didn't like them. He wanted something modern and new. I hadn't given ring hunting much thought (the last few times we went I was extremely stressed out), but this time around. it was different. We knew we were getting engaged, we know our timeline, and because I'm being a good little SO and agreeing to wait six more months, he's been more agreeable about letting me have *gasp* SIDE STONES! (he hated them before). He said this is your ring. I want you to love it.

I asked him can we see the engagement ring store. and he said yes! So yesterday we went for a three hour ring hunting expedition and I found my dream setting. One that he actually agreed with. Yay!

Now, here is the problem. We would like to get a smaller diamond now, and increase the diamond size later, but according to the lady selling the ring the ring is made with exact specifications per diamond and cannot be resized. meaning, i can't upgrade my diamond later unless I want to upgrade my entire ring. Has anyone ever heard of this? Would *you* get a ring knowing you could never increase the size of the diamond without losing your engagement setting?

My SO said why don't we put in a cz until we can afford the 1carat we want.

What do you all think about that?

engagement-simong round.jpg

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
First: congrats on the job!

I really love that setting, it''s gorgeous. I think the small diamond vs. CZ placeholder question would be a really tough choice for me, but my gut reaction is that I''d be happy with the smaller stone, and instead of upgrading the original e-ring, I''d expand my jewelry collection in the future -- RHRs, earrings, etc. How much are you in love with the setting, and is there a big difference (to you) between the two sizes?

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
That''s an awesome setting!!!
I can understand what the jeweler said because the side diamond swoops (I guess lol!) may need to be extended outward if the diamond is bigger. That''s the only thing I could fathom, lol!
But, it''s awesome nonetheless!

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your replies!!! :)

I absolutely adore the setting. I''ve actually been looking for something like it for a while, but didn''t think my SO would be okay with it because he likes solitaires
7.gif
~ But... He said okay!!

Its really funny. my SO was the one who said I want to upgrade her diamond in the future what is your policy?

and *that* is when we heard it would be difficult to do. So, i''m thinking.. maybe getting a lower quality stone in the size i want and, then, when we can afford it, upgrade the stone quality?

purelily

Shiny_Rock
PS Miss kitty I LOVEE your puggee!!! He''s sooo cute! :)

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
So, i''m thinking.. maybe getting a lower quality stone in the size i want and, then, when we can afford it, upgrade the stone quality?

Also an option! Maybe see if your jeweler can put a couple of stones side-by-side so you can get an idea of what''s available? I hope you guys come to a decision that you''re happy with :)

And thanks! Pugs are my favorite, and I''m spoiling mine rotten.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
That is beautiful!!!! CONGRATULATIONS! What a gorgeous setting!

36.gif
So excited for you!

To answer your question on cz now and real thing later, that all depends. Is it going to take a long time to save for the stone he can afford? If it's a matter of a few months, then go for it! It'll just be a quick placeholder. If it's longer, I would say no only because you might feel weird with a CZ ring (a lot of people can tell and also you would know it wasn't real)... Also CZ gets very scratched up quickly with daily wear. I used to have the fun rings as a little girl (remember those birthstone play rings?)and never wore them over a week because they'd get that glassy look! You wouldn't be able to wear it once it got like that, and during your happy time when everyone's grabbing your hand!

How about getting the STONE now (1 carat) in an inexpensive plain setting...and saving up for your DREAM setting down the road???
30.gif

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 10:51:41 PM
Author: purelily
Thanks for your replies!!! :)

I absolutely adore the setting. I''ve actually been looking for something like it for a while, but didn''t think my SO would be okay with it because he likes solitaires
7.gif
~ But... He said okay!!

Its really funny. my SO was the one who said I want to upgrade her diamond in the future what is your policy?

and *that* is when we heard it would be difficult to do. So, i''m thinking.. maybe getting a lower quality stone in the size i want and, then, when we can afford it, upgrade the stone quality?

oh.. my.. god.. I just want to say that setting is absolutely STUNNING!! LOVE IT!!

so how would you define "lower quality stone"? a poorly cut stone? a visibly included stone? a stone of a lower color?
I say if you want to get the most for your money go with a well cut J (maybe even a K!) eye clean Si1/Si2 (there are even some decent I1s out there!) But in no way would I even put a well cut stone like that in the category of lower quality.. that''s why I asked what you mean. Have you done any stone comparisons in person?

But anyways, this is a tough one!! I guess you have to decide what your priority is.. the setting, or the center stone? If it were me I think I''d put most of the money into the stone and put it in a solitaire setting. Then save up for that awesome dream setting!
I''m kinda getting the feeling that the setting is the priority for you though..
I don''t think there''s anything wrong with putting a CZ in there as a place holder. They''ve got some decent ones out there now that mimic diamonds pretty well.

It''s a tough choice but you gotta pretty much decide whether you want more - the setting or the center stone?? You''ll get both eventually of course - but what must you have RIGHT NOW??
9.gif
and what don''t you mind waiting on?

purelily

Shiny_Rock
MissKitty I love puggies too! My dog is a pug mix. So, doesn't look really like a pug, but you can see his pugginess. Also, we did look at stones side by side and.. funny thing is I sort of preferred the H VS2s :-p I dont know how I could pick them out but the lady laid them out in front of us and I was like That one! She looked sort of shocked... Hahaha.

Bliss Yah, i had the same feeling about a cz. I love the setting, but I've considered putting it all towards the stone. the setting isnt too bad in price though.. its $1325. So... I'm a bit torn. My SO really likes the idea of a CZ. hehehe. And, to answer your question, it wouldn't take him that long to get it. It really would be a temporary thing. Maybe 6 months. I was totally for getting a .5 diamond in the setting and then upgrading it! But, since you can't do that... I'm confused :-p But i could still get the .5 diamond now.. and when i upgrade trade out the diamond and put in a colored stone and get another setting and diamond! hehehe.. I'm a monster. Yikes.

Namaste I tried it on and I was in love. What do I *have* to have? I dont know... But.. I know I really like this setting because I went in on a chubby finger day ( I wear a 5.25 usually, but I was a size 6!) and it still looked Gorgeous! And I think it made my finger look longer!!! hahaha. (maybe it was just me) The solitaires (also size 6) gave me a sausage effect. I thought to myself. Wow. How'd my fingers get so swollen? but if the ring looks good when I'm swollen it'll look even better when I'm not swollen! yay! :) So maybe.. I want the setting. I dont know.. *sigh* ETA: Ooh, about the lower quality stone, I hope I dont offend anyone when i say this, but I meant just a diamond that isn't as "high" on the grading chart. So instead of looking at the H that i wanted maybe looking at a J and instead of the VS2 an eye clean SI! or 2. The only thing I'm not negotiating on is the cut. I refuse to get a poorly cut stone.
31.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Im not sure about the setting stuff im afraid...but it is a very pretty setting
30.gif
and will look lovely no matter whats in it!

But YAY for your new job - many congrats purelily
36.gif

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Blackpaw !

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
I had a thought, would you go a coloured stone? like a sapphire or some such? to begin with? then you could have a nice RHR or pendant down the track
31.gif

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Hey Blackpaw yah, I had thought about that. I was thinking that a green tsavorite would be beautiful with the setting :)
I''ll see what my SO thinks about that :)

Thanks for your suggestion!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very cool setting. I like it a lot. What if you got a white sapphire that is around the specs of a diamond the size you want it, and wear that until you can afford the diamond?

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Freke for the suggestion :) I think if we were looking at sapphires I wold probably want a blue one
12.gif
but... I dont know. I''m so undecided I''ll let him figure out what to do :)

Also, I just wanted to say I LOVE your spinel!! its GORGEOUS!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww...thanks!!! I love it, and hopefully soon I''ll have a new home for it! Yay!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
congrats! its a beautiful setting! i to am surprised you cannot vary on size.

I would say if you can afford it now, get what you want. like others said..theres always rhr, earrings, necklaces...
9.gif

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
That setting is GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Have you considered buying an estate diamond? =) Maybe you might find one that''s cheap?

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I''m happy to hear things are going so well for you, yay! That setting is very, very pretty. It is too bad it can''t be changed to accommodate a bigger diamond when you upgrade. My vote would be against CZ because... well, you never know what other priorities come up later...and I would want a real diamond engagement ring. But, that''s just me! Between going with a "lower-quality" 1 carat now vs. getting a smaller diamond and then accessorizing with other jewelry later, I don''t know what to advise, they both sound like great options to me.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I LOVE that setting! Just beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results