shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Insurance - Unique situation, help needed!

TooManyOptions

Rough_Rock
Hi

I have an "interesting" situation..

I am a UK citizen, currently living in the UK and my girlfriend is a US citizen, living in the US.

in the process of selling my house. Once it's sold, I plan to travel to America for 3 months, then come back to the UK and rent or buy somewhere for a while with a view to eventually moving to the US to live with my girlfriend.

Whilst in the USA, I plan on buying an engagement ring, in the region of $10,000-$12,000.

Obviously, I will need some kind of insurance for the ring. There is the possibility of insuring it in my girlfriend's name in the US, but obviously I can only do this AFTER I pop the question (it is going to be a surprise). I will need some form of cover in the interim period.

I won't have any home contents insurance, as I will have sold my house and won't be able to insure it in my name in the USA as I am not a US resident.

Any thoughts/advice would be welcomed!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
She needs to insure it in her name then. Or you do in her name. Does she own or rent? It will need to be added to her policy.

ALSO--I edited this to add:

Because you are planning or considering a Tiffany, you MUST MUST MUST be sure that whoever you have insure it identifies it as such for replacement as such.

TooManyOptions

Rough_Rock
ame|1315710641|3014816 said:
She needs to insure it in her name then. Or you do in her name. Does she own or rent? It will need to be added to her policy.

ALSO--I edited this to add:

Because you are planning or considering a Tiffany, you MUST MUST MUST be sure that whoever you have insure it identifies it as such for replacement as such.

Once I give it to her, I'll pay for it to be insured in her name, most likely with Jewelers Mutual or similar. The problem is what to do in the interim - there will most likely be a period between buying it and proposing and I really don't want it to not be insured :shock:

She rents and has some kind of insurance, I will look into that more once I give the ring to her, but I suspect the cover offered won't be great compared to a separate policy.

Thanks for the advice regarding ensuring it is listed correctly - I had planned on doing that anyway! :)

Edit - do you think I could take out an insurance policy using her name and address and pay for it myself without her knowing, to cover the period between buying the ring and giving it to her?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could try to do it in your name (Jewelers Mutual is a good course of action) and at her address til you give it to her, then put her name on it. I don't know if they'll do that but in your situation it's a good thing to check into.

TooManyOptions

Rough_Rock
ame|1315712679|3014842 said:
You could try to do it in your name (Jewelers Mutual is a good course of action) and at her address til you give it to her, then put her name on it. I don't know if they'll do that but in your situation it's a good thing to check into.

It says "US Residents only" all over their site, so I suspect not.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Right but you're giving HER address, in the US.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Explain to your insurance person at Jewelers Mutual what you're doing. You're in the process of moving to the US, where your fiance or intended fiance lives and where the ring will be kept.

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Just a thought - what about proposing with a "stand in" ring and then pick out the ring together? I have seen some cute ideas here - even some home-made rings.

TooManyOptions

Rough_Rock
moosemom|1315745245|3014950 said:
Just a thought - what about proposing with a "stand in" ring and then pick out the ring together? I have seen some cute ideas here - even some home-made rings.

I had thought of that, but I want the "wow" factor. We saw the Embrace when walking past the store last year and she loved it, but would never dream I'd get it for her.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
You should be able to insure it in her name ahead of time, because is is her ring - I assume you're not going to wear it before you give it to her. In the event that anything happens to it before you propose, you'd have to let her know, but I'm sure that she'd be willing do the paperwork to get a new ring. Give jeweller's mutual a call, I'm sure they'd be hapy to go over the details with you.

TooManyOptions

Rough_Rock
HopeDream|1315787939|3015451 said:
You should be able to insure it in her name ahead of time, because is is her ring. In the event that anything happens to it before you propose, you'd have to let her know, but I'm sure that she'd be willing do the paperwork to get a new ring. Give jeweller's mutual a call, I'm sure they'd be hapy to go over the details with you.

Pretty much what I was thinking - Insure it in her name and if the worst comes to the worst, I have to tell her.

I wasn't sure whether I'd be best calling them or just applying online in my gf's name.

HopeDream|1315787939|3015451 said:
I assume you're not going to wear it before you give it to her

lol

HollyRF

Rough_Rock
Ah! I just got a Tiffany Embrace in July from my fiance! She'll LOVE it. It's the most amazing ring – really sparkles like crazy!

Good luck to you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results