shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Guard

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Where did you get yours? I will need one to go in between my wedding and engagement ring and would like it to be VERY thin if possible. Thanks!

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Anybody?

*M*

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I presume it''ll be PT? I know SP has some pretty thin PT bands that can be used as a spacer.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
When you said ring-guard, I was thinking of the whole "wrap" style thing that people used to get as anniversary gifts in the 80''s.

Are you talking about a spacer band to keep a pave or eternity band from rubbing against another ring w/ stones?

I have an eternity band as a wedding band and I bought a very thin (I believe it''s 1.8 m) vintage band off of e-bay. It has very, very, very faint engraving that you can barely see, especially given it''s size.

I know that''s a no-no here, but it was v. cheap, the right size and serves the purpose in a lovely way~

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Well if my E-ring is white gold, should the guard be WG, too, so it doesn''t mess up the e-ring? I didn''t mention the metal differences in the original post (*doh*)

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 3:20:39 PM
Author: dtnyc
When you said ring-guard, I was thinking of the whole ''wrap'' style thing that people used to get as anniversary gifts in the 80''s.

Are you talking about a spacer band to keep a pave or eternity band from rubbing against another ring w/ stones?

I have an eternity band as a wedding band and I bought a very thin (I believe it''s 1.8 m) vintage band off of e-bay. It has very, very, very faint engraving that you can barely see, especially given it''s size.

I know that''s a no-no here, but it was v. cheap, the right size and serves the purpose in a lovely way~
Ok, yes. A spacer. I''m so silly... I named the whole post wrong! Go me! I am most definitely talking about a spacer. Do you know how to change the name of the post?
3.gif
Your band sound absolutely scrumptious by the way! I lurve vintage!

*M*

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 3:21:18 PM
Author: poptart
Well if my E-ring is white gold, should the guard be WG, too, so it doesn''t mess up the e-ring? I didn''t mention the metal differences in the original post (*doh*)

*M*
I think you could do a search but the last I read there is no harm in wearing a platinum band next to WG or vice versa.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Dtnyc,

I''ve read that when they rub against each other that the platinum can possibly wear away at the white gold. If it''s really a non-issue, that would be great! Now I''m just plain not sure...

*M*

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Try doing a search- I know that plenty of people have asked this question in the past.

I know that my mom''s original e-ring was set in white gold and she wore it w/ a plain plat. band for at least 20 years w/o issue.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2007 3:33:13 PM
Dtnyc,

I''ve read that when they rub against each other that the platinum can possibly wear away at the white gold. If it''s really a non-issue, that would be great! Now I''m just plain not sure...

*M*
I remember reading about this too. Are BOTH rings WG? If they are, it''s best to stay with a WG spacer too.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 3:58:28 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 3/23/2007 3:33:13 PM

Dtnyc,

I've read that when they rub against each other that the platinum can possibly wear away at the white gold. If it's really a non-issue, that would be great! Now I'm just plain not sure...

*M*

I remember reading about this too. Are BOTH rings WG? If they are, it's best to stay with a WG spacer too.
The wedding ring will be platinum and the engagement ring is white gold.

*M*

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I have several that I use as a spacer but all are 2mm or smaller. I switch out between a plain band, a channel set diamond half eternity band and a sapphire and diamond eternity band. I got my plain and half eternity at my local jewelers and my erternity band at a gem show.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Catmom! Do you like having the plain spacer bands? That''s what I would be getting. Dtnyc suggested maybe they aren''t really necessary, so I''m wondering if you find that they have kept your rings looking nice, and if they''re really worth it. I wonder if they come in only about 1 mm though, because both wedding band and e-ring will be 2.5 mm.

*M*

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2007 10:44:09 AM
Thanks Catmom! Do you like having the plain spacer bands? That''s what I would be getting. Dtnyc suggested maybe they aren''t really necessary, so I''m wondering if you find that they have kept your rings looking nice, and if they''re really worth it. I wonder if they come in only about 1 mm though, because both wedding band and e-ring will be 2.5 mm.

*M*
I actually like my plain band the best because it really "hides" better between the two rings. I do need to have a spacer otherwise my anniversary band eats at my ER. The spacer band has really helped with that issue. Honestly I was a little upset at first but I''ve since gotten so used to having three rings on that now it looks funny to me without the spacer. I think it may be hard to find a band that is only 1mm. I wonder if you could have that made or if it would be too small?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2007 10:44:09 AM

*M*
I have a spacer because my eternity wedding band is a tad too big. It''s a vintage piece & we couldn''t have it sized- I think it''s size 6, my e-ring is a 5.75. The eternity band sits low enough that the girdles of the stones wouldn''t hit the prongs or stones in my e-ring, but having the thin spacer band that is 5.75 makes everything feel more secure and comfy on my finger. It''s so thin you really don''t see that much of it, but it does make my e-ring and wedding band "pop" on their own more because they aren''t squished together. My e-ring & w-band don''t sit completely flush, and having the thin band between just helps everything line up a little better.

After a friend saw mine she got a thin plain plat. band because she felt like her channel set eternity wedding band and e-ring were "competing" and they weren''t sitting flush, she got a thin plat. band made - I think you can have a 1mm or 1.5mm band made for this purpose. Since her w-band is channel set there was no issue at all w/ the stones rubbing, but she just liked the look of having the rings slightly spaced & stacked.

We both did it for "visual" purposes (well I wear mine for comfort issues) but some people have custom spacers made so that their rings all sit flush and some people wear them so that the stones over their rings don''t eat into one another.

I will try and find a picture of my rings together so you can get an idea.

What type of wedding band do you think you are going to get?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Dtnyc! I am purposefully getting my new wedding band a little bigger because my hands tend to swell a LOT in the summer, as well as in the morning, so it''s uncomfortable to have the ring at 3.75 mm if I''m going to be wearing it all day, which I will be. It would be great if I could find a jeweler to make just a 1mm band in between the two as well as keep the wedding ring in place if it''s a little loose on some days. I am leaning towards getting it in WG though, just in case, since my e-ring is WG. And this is the band I''m going to get:

*M*

917-plain 2.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
If you''re looking for something a little unique and about 1mm, Sundance has nice, tiny bands. Most if not all of the jewelry is handmade, so there''s some beautiful, unique stuff.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Mercoledi! I like them a lot!

*M*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results