shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring feedback before proposal

Ls121

Rough_Rock
Hello!

New to these forums and getting ready to pull the trigger on something to surprise my gf with and looking for some feedback.

I've done a lot of looking around and I really like this: http://eriebasin.com/eb-diamond-engagement-ring-1796.html

You can see video of it here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMpBWNmDjYt/?taken-by=eriebasin

I do believe this one is around 11K. This one shows as sold but I think he has other similar things and this one might be avail despite that.

I'd love to hear general feedback, if folks think this is a good value (the site only deals in antique stones), and then what folks think of this specific ring and stone.

Thank you!

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
It looks like an interesting piece but might be a true "surprise" if it's for an engagement ring and she has not stated a preference for a pear, set east-west (that would be very unusual as an e-ring). As far as price you would need to make a comparison to other similarly sized pears of same color and clarity to get an idea. Cut is very tricky with fancy shapes.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
absolutely beautiful and an unusual setting. You could most definitely purchase a loose stone though and have that setting custom made.. case in point, loose stone:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-...que-pear-shape-diamond-gia-g-si1#.WD2_m7IrJEY

Or go for a bigger stone with the savings!

Additionally....This is for an engagement ring, correct? Unless your lady has specifically come out and said "I want an east/west set pear engagement ring" or has several pinned on her pinterest account, then please HESITATE. I love an east west marquise, oval or emerald cut diamond. BUT even though i LOVE pear diamonds, i dislike the look of them set e/w. It's the unsymmetrical look, really bugs me. :errrr: So make sure you've done some sleuthing to make sure this is the look she wants for an e-ring.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely do some sleuthing before you buy it. It's a lovely ring, but it isn't for everyone. If your conclusions lead you to believe she will love it, then by all means try to find another..

Ls121

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies! The vendor will accept a return within 10 days so the plan would be to go for it and then give her the option to return if it's not her perfect thing. I like the idea of making a decision and going for it but at least there would be an out if she's not into it.

Any thoughts about the diamond shown here?

I don't love the idea of knocking off a small designer who is working today (I think it's different to knock-off a more vintage ring or one made by a big company) but I want to get a reasonable deal as well and I know these vintage diamonds can be tricky in terms of price and value. Thanks!

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
The pear stone linked by farrahlyn is, in my opinion a MUCH prettier stone, and a true antique (the 1950s does not really count :twirl: ), probably from the early 1900s. If you only paid $6800 for the stone you could have a simple setting like the Erie Basin setting made and come in WAY under $11,000.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm taking it that this setting is totally your preference. Why not go for a style like this for your wedding band? Bear with me now... something like this or with a much smaller diamond:

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...7ct-ji1-emerald-cut-diamond-gia-nice-i1-r3270

More inset like this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5c/ec/80/5cec803169bb06c172acb5e6d284a53a.jpg

I KNOW i've seen something like this recently with a pear stone, i just can't remember where.

Anyway, i suggest this because i'm just imagining your GF getting this ring and maybe she's actually a gal that REALLY wants a lovely Round Brilliant stone in a micropave halo. and she is SUPER excited about being engaged! Then later when on the phone and describing the ring to her friends, looking at the ring and thinking "well, DF said i can exchange this but what was he thinking? this is really not me at all."

Point being... .If you're gonna spend all that money, don't just take a shot in the dark, really DO IT RIGHT! See if she has a pinterest account/ask a sister/mother/BFF. At the very least, buy the stone after finding out the shape she loves and set it in an inexpensive solitaire setting and tell her she can pick out whatever setting she wants within XYZ dollar range. At least this way you've done some legwork vs "Oh hey, i like this pear setting, it's cool. i'm gonna buy that and she can just return it if she wants, no biggie." Women are sentimental, it's a big deal to us. Put some legwork into finding out her likes and i promise you she will be bragging and swooning to her friends and family at how hard you worked at getting something that she loved and "omg i can't believe he picked out exactly what i wanted!" Or just straight up ask her what her preferences are.

That said.... the stone i linked is DELICIOUS. :lickout:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that particular pear diamond is not an attractive one. It's barely sparkling at all in the video.

You also wouldn't be knocking them off if you had someone else make it - there are plenty of sideways-set pear rings in the world.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That pear has shoulders and not that attractive (especially for $11k). I think you should find your own pear and then have
it put in that setting.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ls121|1480451556|4103514 said:
Thanks for the replies! The vendor will accept a return within 10 days so the plan would be to go for it and then give her the option to return if it's not her perfect thing. I like the idea of making a decision and going for it but at least there would be an out if she's not into it.

Also just a thought but MOST women aren't going to tell their fiancee that they don't like the ring AFTER he has already given it to them... it seems ungracious and likely to be something that might upset the engagement which should be a happy time, and most people would rather suck it up even if they hate it. If you're not 100% sure she would love it, ask BEFORE you buy.

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
I agree with everyone else - the pear is not attractive - it has a strong bow-tie in the center. You will get a MUCH better stone if you buy it separately and have it set. Diamonds already set in rings generally (not true of ALL vendors, but many) are duds.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1480460319|4103556 said:
Ls121|1480451556|4103514 said:

Also just a thought but MOST women aren't going to tell their fiancee that they don't like the ring AFTER he has already given it to them... it seems ungracious and likely to be something that might upset the engagement which should be a happy time, and most people would rather suck it up even if they hate it. If you're not 100% sure she would love it, ask BEFORE you buy.

Exactly what I was thinking: I think most women would rather take the ring that isn't their style rather than to come across as picky and unsatisfied with the ring their loved one picked out for them. It's chancy.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Yes I am sorry but I am not a fan. I was given a pear for my first engagement ring and we set the stone together then he surprised me when it was finished. We have to wear the ring every day and unless she is a total out of the box thinker and wants something this "different" I would feel her out first.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I imagine the woman who wears the east west pear, I think of a bold, confident, established woman who rejects conformity and is independent minded. She bucks trends and takes chances. She is possibly artsy and esoteric.

Others may see a different type of woman.

If you intended is like this, then it may not be so chancy.

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
I think the setting is cool. I don't think it's riskier per se to surprise her with an unusual ring like this than with a "normal" round brilliant - IMO the point of a surprise is to pick something that makes you think specifically of her, not to hedge your bets with something popular.

But I think you should consider what others have said about the surprise aspect. We all know someone who claimed they wouldn't be hurt if someone returned their gift, but then they totally were and it was A Thing. Guaranteed she doesn't want that to happen here, and 10 days isn't very much time to sort through the issue - especially if she likes some aspects of the ring but not others. Since it's a unique style, she probably can't quickly find something similar that she prefers. Keep all that in mind if you go the surprise route, and take her to a jewelry store to look at rings afterward - that might help underscore that you're serious about getting what she prefers.

My ring wasn't a surprise but I found it romantic that my fiance gave me his input on styles - so I think there are ways to use this lovely pick that she'll appreciate a lot, even if you don't buy it as a surprise.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results