shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SDBridetobe

Rough_Rock
Wow, my very first post. I have been hanging out on PS for sooo long now, but never took the time to create a profile and respond to what I read. I know---shame on me. I just got engaged this summer after waiting 6 long years. Here is the thread on my ring, posted by my fiancee.
love.gif
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-ring.18627/

Here is my question. Now that I finally have the ring, how and when should I clean it?

Any tips would be helpful!
wavey.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I you do a search, you'll find many threads on people's preferences for cleaning their rings. Some have bought a popular, high-quality ultrasonic (Bronson? I think), while others advocate a simple solution of a bit of ammonia, a drop of dish soap and warm water, with soaking first, then using a baby toothbrush for gentle scrubbing. Others advocate Windex and Spic N Span.

I use a little jar of cleaner my jeweler gave me. And since I use a local jewelr, I stop by about once a month to have him put my rings in what i call the "cooker" and then steam--like new.
1.gif

PS One thing I have read is to not use any type of metal scrubbing brush or wire pipe cleaner on diamonds/precious metals.
6.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
speaking of cleaning,anybody try the $90 steamer from Wink ?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use the little Connesiuers (sp) jar and brush and then soak it in hot water from the tap till it cools after a rinse real fast. Every night usually.

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
I just bought this at the suggestion of a fellow PS'er:

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=728

It was much cheaper than the Sharper Image version and only took two days to arrive by regular mail.

My ring looks brand new again (okay, so it was only three weeks "old" in the first place). However, the real test were the little diamonds earrings I've had since grade school. I don't think they've ever been cleaned, and they were full of icky stuff. They look brand new too!

I'm not sure what "ultrasonic" does, except that I know it works. Can any technical/scientific people explain?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
New Shiny, I am glad that worked out for you.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
The most high tech cleaning solution that I know of is on the market by a company called Sparkle,Sparkle in Scottsdale AZ. They also developed a solution just for platinum and Rhodium plated jewelry. The owner is a tech, geek, braniac, but very nice guy and I think he will do well with his products. I am a tough sell and bought some. Most other cleaning solutions in those little jars are soapy water with a touch of amonia. One fancy one is just generic 409 solution.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi SDBridetobe,

I recently purchased a Branson ultrasonic. I also purchased some touch up cleaner at winkjones.com, it has a very pleasant smell, and I use it when I am in a hurry. Great for earrings. I think ottofrei is a reputable place too. I think you should invest in the ultrasonic as well as touch up cleaner. Once a week is probably enough cleaning, or more if you get your jewelry more soiled.

Best,
Lori

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Here is my hightech technique: Dawn dish soap and water, both warmed in the microwave. Add jewelery, let it soak and then use a little soft tooth brush to get the gunk out. Works every time. I think warming the dish liquid really helps.

Suz

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, its just dishwashing liquid (from a dispenser mounted on my kitchen sink) on a soft toothbrush, brush, rinse under warm water, and thats it. I can clean my diamond without even taking my ring off.

For the more stubborn jobs, e.g. diamond bracelets, then its the ultrasonic because there are too many stones to clean. Even then its only about one a month because I have found that the bath gel I use in the shower also cleans diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results