shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Clarity Help

john4552011

Rough_Rock
Hello. My girlfriend and I went ring shopping about 1 year ago. She did not like anything big on her finger since she has very skinny fingures (good for me lol) the ring she loved was at Kay Jewlers... The center stone was only 3/8... Ring was nice but I am the kind of person that thinks an engagement ring is something really special and I dont want thousands of people wearing the same thing. So I went to a local jewler that I know and we put a ring together. We first started out with a ring that was 14 k white gold .61 center F Color and I Clarity total diamond weight is 1.23... I didnt like that it was I clarity so he had me come in a week later to go through the diamonds he had. So I picked one out and paid for it all in full, and he gave me my receipt. I don't understand the clarity though. The center is .62 pt H-I Color (guess this is average) the clarity is 5/2?? What does teh 5/2 mean unless I am reading it wrong. I know he said the inclusions are very minor and won't be seen with the prongs over it. Total diamond weight is 1.24 pt. What does the 5/2 mean on the diamond scale for clarity. Hope this stone isn't too small, one month to pop the question on vacation :naughty:

Maybe his handwriting is that bad and says si2?

paid $2,200 ( I know him) did I get ripped off? He says he is very picky how he grades his diamonds. If it was in another chain store that it would probably be 2-3 steps higher on the diamond scale for clarity and color.

lapelirroja

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like it's probably an SI2.... but without a certificate of grading from an actual lab (AGS, GIA, etc), who is to say what his actual "grading scale" is. I'm no diamond expert, but I assume recommendations here would be to return that (if possible) and look for a certified diamond, which should still work with your budget.

druidtime

Rough_Rock
Yeah I think he meant SI2. Sometimes my mother will mix up SI2 with S12 or 512.

At 2200 USD and a .62ct (round i am guessing?) and 14kt setting, I will be the first to say you did *OK* for going into a jeweler.

If the question is did he 'rip you off' I would say no. He made his money, yes, but not a rip-off.

If the question is could you have done better, I am sure many will chime in and say yes. As others have said his grading is subjective to himself and not standardized.

I see the pro of you getting this ring made at the jeweler is that you chose it, it is unique, you physically got to see the stone in person, and that it is satisfactory to you.

I'm sure she will love your special selection.

Good Luck!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
john4552011|1307192239|2937613 said:
Hello. My girlfriend and I went ring shopping about 1 year ago. She did not like anything big on her finger since she has very skinny fingures (good for me lol) the ring she loved was at Kay Jewlers... The center stone was only 3/8... Ring was nice but I am the kind of person that thinks an engagement ring is something really special and I dont want thousands of people wearing the same thing. So I went to a local jewler that I know and we put a ring together. We first started out with a ring that was 14 k white gold .61 center F Color and I Clarity total diamond weight is 1.23... I didnt like that it was I clarity so he had me come in a week later to go through the diamonds he had. So I picked one out and paid for it all in full, and he gave me my receipt. I don't understand the clarity though. The center is .62 pt H-I Color (guess this is average) the clarity is 5/2?? What does teh 5/2 mean unless I am reading it wrong. I know he said the inclusions are very minor and won't be seen with the prongs over it. Total diamond weight is 1.24 pt. What does the 5/2 mean on the diamond scale for clarity. Hope this stone isn't too small, one month to pop the question on vacation :naughty:

Maybe his handwriting is that bad and says si2?

paid $2,200 ( I know him) did I get ripped off? He says he is very picky how he grades his diamonds. If it was in another chain store that it would probably be 2-3 steps higher on the diamond scale for clarity and color.
no such grade... :rolleyes:.. ask him to sent the stone to GIA lab for grading.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not recommend buying a diamond without a lab report from a reputable lab. We cannot comment on whether you were ripped off or paid a fair price, because without a reputable lab report we, and you, have no idea what you really bought.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results