shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Bearer Age Limit?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

Is there an age limit for ring bearer's? Does he HAVE to be a kid??? I know a couple of kids that can do that part but none of them are really close to me. Their more of an acquaintance.

I really, REALLY want my youngest brother to be the ring bearer but he's already 13. When we celebrated our grandmother's 70th wedding anniversary, he was the RB but that was understandable bec he's the youngest grandson. He's pretty cool with the idea bec he's sculpting our ring plate!

FH says the RB SHOULD be a kid and having my bro do it would look weird.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone had a teenager/adult as the ring bearer? I'm so confused...
7.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i don''t think there is an age limit, altho most ring bearers i have seen are younger, have you thought of making your lil bro a junior groomsmen? that might be more suitable, especially at 13 when he might be embarassed to tell people that he is the ring bearer, just my thoughts
1.gif

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
i should''ve mentioned that he''s ok with being the RB bec he said he wants to make the ring pillow/plate for us as a wedding gift.
1.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
oh then i think you''ve answered your own question
9.gif
at least he is at the age where you can give him the real rings, instead of the fake ones for the little kiddos
3.gif

JR320

Shiny_Rock
Maybe he could be a groomsman who happens to be in charge of carrying the rings?

My 13-year-old cousin will be a groomsman in our wedding and he is totally exciting about hanging out with the guys.

We asked my 5-year-old cousin to be our flower girl and she said "I''m too old to be a flower girl! ...and besides, I probably won''t know anyone there." haha. So we made her a "bridesmaid" But she''s basically fulfilling the same role as a flower girl, only she''ll be wearing a dress the same color as her older cousins who are my bridesmaids, who she adores. Maybe you could do something similar with your brother.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I would totally say make him a jr. groomsman who is in charge of the rings. He can come down last with the rings instead of a BM. If he wants, he can stand up there with all of the guys. I think it makes total sense!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
We had my 8 year old little brother as a RB, and some people told me that was too old. He looked liek a jr. groomsman, carried the real rings, and stood up there the whole time. I say if he''s up for it and it''s what you want, then why not? It''s your wedding
2.gif

luvbug

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think there''s a limit

One of my "ring bearers" is my 16 yr old godson. He''s so excited about being in the wedding I don''t think he cares what his function is. I''m trying to come up with a better name maybe Ring Attendant or something cooler...if I can think of one

I love that he''s sculpting his own plate - what a beautiful idea!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 12:24:31 PM
Author: ficklefaye
9.gif
at least he is at the age where you can give him the real rings, instead of the fake ones for the little kiddos
3.gif
Ditto. If he wants to do it, then I think it''s a great idea
1.gif

iota

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think it''s a fantastic idea to use your little brother.

Why force something impersonal onto your wedding when you have a ready, willing and excited family member who''s up for the job you want him to take. Forget the optics...

Plus, I think it''s soooo sweet - the fact you''re going to make him part of your wedding and the fact a young teenager is willing to do this for you. And, it''s not like you''re using some random teenager, this is your brother for crying out loud and your friends and family will know that. If your FH''s nosy aunt doesn''t recognize him, it should be more than enough to shut her up by saying, "That''s the bride''s brother."

Oh, and I wouldn''t put him in the groom''s party. You can but for the most part, those people really should be the groom''s close friends. Maybe your brother can stand next to the groomsman after his part in your wedding though.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 12:27:59 PM
Author: JR320
Maybe he could be a groomsman who happens to be in charge of carrying the rings?

My 13-year-old cousin will be a groomsman in our wedding and he is totally exciting about hanging out with the guys.

We asked my 5-year-old cousin to be our flower girl and she said ''I''m too old to be a flower girl! ...and besides, I probably won''t know anyone there.'' haha. So we made her a ''bridesmaid'' But she''s basically fulfilling the same role as a flower girl, only she''ll be wearing a dress the same color as her older cousins who are my bridesmaids, who she adores. Maybe you could do something similar with your brother.
Hilarious- my FI''s 5 yr old cousin is our flower girl. She was the flower girl in her mom''s wedding 2 years ago, and is pretty pumped to do it again. When I talked to her about it and took her shopping for dresses, she decided that each dress she tried on would be for the next time she was a flower girl- meaning she''ll have to be in at least 5 more weddings :) Now our 5 yr old ring bearer is a little nervous- i''m a bit scared he won''t make it down the aisle. And it doesn''t help that his 8 yr old brother is calling him "jewelry boy."

Personally, I think "jr. groomsman" would be more appropriate for your brother. IMHO.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
My fiance has one more groomsmen than I have bridesmaids. i really want one of them to be the ring bearer however my fiance thinks it is innapropriate for a 32 year old. I think its funny. My good friend had her grandmother be her flower girl and it was awesome.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think 13 is acceptable as long as he still looks like a youth. An adult ring bearer would looks silly as those jobs were created for kids (flower girl and ring bearer).

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Well, since we are being ultra serious the most appropriate age for a ring bearer and flower girl is between 5-7 yrs according to our priest. Anything outside of that should be what is appropriate for your wedding, friends, and family.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s a great idea to have your brother be the ring bearer...especially since he''s excited about it! That''s so cute! I was just the best WOman/ ring bearer for my brother so how''s that for breaking tradition!
3.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
My brother had his godfather''s son as a ringbearer, and I think he was 15 or so. IMO, it''s your wedding and you can do whatever you want!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2009 6:40:36 AM
Author: honey22

Date: 7/24/2009 12:24:31 PM
Author: ficklefaye
9.gif
3.gif
Ditto. If he wants to do it, then I think it''s a great idea
1.gif
I third...or thrito!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s no age limit!

Wasn''t Robbie a flower girl right around the time of her own wedding? She looked great!

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
thanks everyone!

luvbug, have you come up with the title yet? I''m thinking about change the name too! Right now I''m stuck with "Bearer of Rings" haha. it doesn''t sound good though...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 12:27:24 AM
Author: Haven
There''s no age limit!

Wasn''t Robbie a flower girl right around the time of her own wedding? She looked great!
You read my mind, Haven! I was just thinking about Robbie''s turn down the aisle as a flower girl.

I think it''d be a great way of incorporating your brother, cleokizzy. He can be your Ring Dude and all will be well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results