shape
carat
color
clarity

Ribbon or flower for hair? Veil or no veil?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I''m stuck.
8.gif
I always planned on doing a ribbon hairband like this one but didn''t know what kind of veil to put with it.

Then I started looking at birdcage veils because I love the vintage look and I think it would fit with my dress really well. And I love the flower below to go with it, since I plan on taking off the veil after the ceremony. I asked FI what kind of veil he saw me in and of course he said anything but the cage! Damn!
39.gif

Now I don''t know what to do. He said he wouldn''t care if I wore one but why would I now knowing that he hates them?! Do I even need a veil? What would you suggest? Flower plus some veil, ribbon plus some veil? No veil? Here are dress pics for reference...
sunnydress2.JPG

sunnydress1.JPG

Thanks guys.

MS-AA-S2181.jpg

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''ve gotta say, Sunnyd, that I only vaguely remembered what your dress looked like from your past post. But when I saw it today I thought "Wow!" It''s really gorgeous and one of my favorites on PS. I can''t believe it didn''t make as much of an impression on me the first time. I must''ve not been paying attention.
3.gif

Anyway! I don''t think you need a veil at all, but I tend to be kind of anti-veil in general. I think your dress has a lot going on all by itself and some other type of hair accessory would be absolutely perfect. I love the idea of either a hairband or a flower. I also like those hair pin things, especially a flower design with crystals. I think they can look really vintagey if you get the right one. The hairband you linked to is perfect though and I think it would look great all by itself.

What is your ceremony like? It is formal in a huge church? Outside on the beach? I can''t remember the details at all, but I think the details are important when choosing accessories.

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Hi sunnyd, OMGosh I''m loving your dress especially the back. If you dont mind me asking where did you get it? I honestly think with or witout vail will be fine. But I like the idea of the flower on the side so my vote goes to that. I''m sure which ever you decide on it will come out beautiful. congrats on such a beautiful gown.
30.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Thanks elrohwen! I''m blushing. Hehe! The details are that both ceremony and reception are taking place in a hotel ballroom that is super art deco in style. I''m calling it formal looking, but not formal feeling if that makes sense.

I''m down with no veil, but then wonder if I would miss the veil. Plus I''m really cheap and would prefer to spend as little as possible on something I''ll wear for 20 mins...

deca54687.jpg

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I''m anti-veil, too but I love the birdcage veil. I know some say it reminds them of a turkey net - I don''t care. So, that''s the only veil I do like.
However, I do like your other options of a flower or the headband, too.

What I came here to say is guys typically don''t know crap about what looks good. If he said he specifically doesn''t like the birdcage veil did he say why? Most times because it''s non-traditional and is the only thing that comes to mind that he could have an opinion about. Do you think he would really be against the ''fingertip length'' or ''bobbin lace''? I''d find out why he doesn''t like the birdcage and see if there''s any substance to it. If you like it, I think your dress is perfect for it.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 2:46:35 PM
Author: xoxo
Hi sunnyd, OMGosh I''m loving your dress especially the back. If you dont mind me asking where did you get it? I honestly think with or witout vail will be fine. But I like the idea of the flower on the side so my vote goes to that. I''m sure which ever you decide on it will come out beautiful. congrats on such a beautiful gown.
30.gif
Thanks xoxo! I love the back too, it''s mostly the reason I got it. Haha! It''s by San Patrick, one of the Pronovias lines. They actually have a lot with the ruffly back. Love ruffles!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I totally remember your venue now. Also one of my fav venues
3.gif
(I sound like such a suck up
20.gif
lol)

I''m going to stick with my no veil stance. Birdcages are cute, but I agree with you that if your FI has already said he doesn''t like them, no point in getting one. Stick with some other fab hair accessory.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
My vote is for no veil! I think it would conflict with your pretty sleeve details!
But I think you can do vintage glam with a hair flower or another headpiece.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
BIRDCAGE... OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM. If I didn''t have such a fat face, and a girlier body, I TOTALLY WOULD HAVE ROCKED ONE!

BUT, that said, I think the flower would have really made a nice piece for the pictures.... and would be more functional for the evening. (Less damage to the hair.)

tlh

Ideal_Rock
like this....

flowerpower1.JPG

tlh

Ideal_Rock
or this....

flower power.JPG

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 3:45:17 PM
Author: TheBigT
My vote is for no veil! I think it would conflict with your pretty sleeve details!
But I think you can do vintage glam with a hair flower or another headpiece.
Ooh yeah didn''t think of that...this is good, I''m gonna need all the ammo I can get when I tell my mom that I may not be wearing a veil...oy!
11.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
That dress is SO gorgeous!

I think the flower option you posted is a really great one.

To answer your question, you only "need" a veil if you want one. I didn''t have a veil, and have zero regrets about it!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 4:25:54 PM
Author: musey
That dress is SO gorgeous!

I think the flower option you posted is a really great one.

To answer your question, you only ''need'' a veil if you want one. I didn''t have a veil, and have zero regrets about it!
True. I may still need to battle my mom on it though.
2.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Can you try on some different length veils with your dress (which is also one of my all-time favorites - SO GORGEOUS
30.gif
) - I feel like if nothing else, that might make you more at peace with whatever decision you make.

Also, I don''t know what its like now, but when I got married 2.5 years ago (do I sound old? LOL
3.gif
) I was able to get my chapel-length veil for $20 on eBay
1.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 4:48:45 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Can you try on some different length veils with your dress (which is also one of my all-time favorites - SO GORGEOUS
30.gif
) - I feel like if nothing else, that might make you more at peace with whatever decision you make.

Also, I don''t know what its like now, but when I got married 2.5 years ago (do I sound old? LOL
3.gif
) I was able to get my chapel-length veil for $20 on eBay
1.gif
Yeah, I''ll have to find somewhere where I can bring my dress to try some on. LOL, what a chore...

Good ol'' ebay! You''re definitely not old either silly.
9.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I thin a flower with that dress would absoulutley stunning.

I really love your dress Sunny it is just so beautiful
30.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Here are my thoughts on the veil. How many have you tried on? Reason being, i always thought I wanted a birdcage veil, didn''t really see myself as a veil type person. Then I got a cage veil. Woops, she made it too short. So, the maker took it back to make it longer but I still am not happy with the way it sits on my head. Then I went to the bridal salon and tried on veils. I liked the cathedral veil a lot on me however it covers the whole back of the dress and I am getting married in the mountains, just not the look that I am going for. Then I went to a few more stores. I really liked this short poofy sholder veil made out of french netting but alas...I''m not a 5''9'''' model and the look was just too overwhelming on me although I completely love it. Lastly, I found Artikal (we discussed this in one of my threads). I went to her studio last week and she talked me into a cage veil again. Actually, I tried hers on and since she is a hat maker by trade, her veil just seemed to lay right on me. So now I have a feather (coctail peice) for my hair, 2 bircage veils, and a hair flower. GRR...this certianly was harder than finding the dress.

Just wanted you to hear my experience because if a cage is what you like, that is probablly what you should get, but I would go try some on.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What about a mantilla for the ceremony, and then the side roses for the party? I was watching Platinum Weddings on Sunday, and the one bride had a dress similar in the front to yours. She wore a mantilla, and it looked amazing.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
LOL em1, how many have I tried on...umm zero. Besides my mom''s "wedding hat", but that doesn''t count. Hahaha! I''m jumping the gun a bit, as usual.
37.gif
I''ll have to find somewhere that will either let me return a purchased veil or bring my dress in to try them on.

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
I would do the ribbon headband and forego the veil. I think the ribbon look would be stunning with that dress. But the ribbon headband with a veil is too much, I think.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Oh Sunny ... I just drool over your dress every time I see it. I
18.gif
that train!!

I know that it may not be popular but I vote veil ... I think that that dress & you will be stunning with a veil that maybe has a matching lace type trim. Yum! I also happen to think that you and that dress would look fab in a birdcage veil. I know ... naughty, naughty!

eta - Actually, I'm totally useless. I really think that you will look terrific with a flower in your hair or the headband & veil - so super cute!!
Let's just put it this way ... go with what you love and no matter what ... it's a sealed deal. You'll look stunning. All options are great.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
LOL Spark you crack me up!!

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks sunnyd for sharing the name of your dress it is Beautiful!!
30.gif
btw, if you dont mind I would like to post a link to this lady that does amazing flower pieces its on etsy. I couldnt do it right now cuz I''m replying with my cell phone but once I get home I''ll post her link. She has some lovely, beautiful pieces. I hope you''ll like them.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 3:04:38 PM
Author: xoxo
Thanks sunnyd for sharing the name of your dress it is Beautiful!!
30.gif
btw, if you dont mind I would like to post a link to this lady that does amazing flower pieces its on etsy. I couldnt do it right now cuz I''m replying with my cell phone but once I get home I''ll post her link. She has some lovely, beautiful pieces. I hope you''ll like them.
Thanks! And of course I don''t mind! LOL I''ve been stalking that site looking for the right one to speak to me, so I might have seen it already. But post away, I love looking at them.
1.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t read the other responses but did you think about a veil and then remove that and put the flower in before the reception? I love the idea of a flower in the hair (it''s something I want to do too!) but I never thought about it with a veil. What if you put the veil under the hair (ie. a bun or whatever you do?) so that the flower is still visible?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 5:55:35 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
I didn''t read the other responses but did you think about a veil and then remove that and put the flower in before the reception? I love the idea of a flower in the hair (it''s something I want to do too!) but I never thought about it with a veil. What if you put the veil under the hair (ie. a bun or whatever you do?) so that the flower is still visible?
Ooh I didn''t think of that. Okay so that''s another option. So many options!!
39.gif
9.gif
I need to figure out my hair...oh boy.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don''t normally like birdcages, but I think the art-deco venue, vintage-looking dress, and your beautiful long bangs are all screaming BIRDCAGE ME! Can you talk your FI into it? Maybe bargain by wearing the birdcage for the ceremony and taking it off for the reception?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 6:14:24 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I don''t normally like birdcages, but I think the art-deco venue, vintage-looking dress, and your beautiful long bangs are all screaming BIRDCAGE ME! Can you talk your FI into it? Maybe bargain by wearing the birdcage for the ceremony and taking it off for the reception?
I know!!! It would be perfect! And I was gonna take it off for the reception anyway, but I don''t want the first thing he thinks when he sees me to be, what is that thing eating her face?! LOL, sad but true.
9.gif

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Hi sunnyd here is the link her name is Myra Callan http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5060316 Was she one of the ones you already have contacted? Let me know what you think, I love her pieces
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results