shape
carat
color
clarity

rhodolite garnet,

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
Hi Newbie (sort of) here :wavey: . Wondering where I can buy a nice rhodolite garnet, I"ve seen some lovely ones, a silver bracelet with a rhodolite centre, dont' remember who had it. I also recall a set of a ring, earrings, and pendant all yellow gold and rhodolite. It was beautiful. I love the color. I wonder how garnet manages to have so many lovely colors. But not blue, correct? Can garnet be blue too? Anyhow, I've been admiring your lovely things, you gals have great taste. I saw the garnet thread, garnets are very versatile! Who is "DAN" who made that lovely silver bracelet. :confused: I would probably get a ring made in silver, it's my favorite metal, I have lots of silver from Mexico. I love the color of pure, white, silver. I would be loving a ring with rhodolite in a simple silver setting. :love: thanks darlings :razz:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so many great sources of rhodolite, so really shop around. Another is Barry Bridgestock at AC Stones. Keep in mind, though, that a lot of garnet, especially red garnet, goes dark in low light and turns muddy in incandescent light - at least this is my experience. It can be very disappointing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1303742335|2904515 said:
There are so many great sources of rhodolite, so really shop around. Another is Barry Bridgestock at AC Stones. Keep in mind, though, that a lot of garnet, especially red garnet, goes dark in low light and turns muddy in incandescent light - at least this is my experience. It can be very disappointing.

Very true, and you don't want burgundy or brownish red rhodolites either.

Gene at precisiongem.com gets nice material in. It's also called Umbalite.

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
As mentioned, there's a lot of rhodolite out there with some being sold under trade or location names like umbalite, tanga, etc. and, as TL mentioned, brownish muddies are to be avoided. There actually are some rhodolites these days that show blue under different light sources although these ones are scarce and command fairly high prices. Other ones are being found that have a color shift to a more orange/golden color, not to be confused with the browns. Biggest thing to look for in a rhodolite is that red/pink or red/purple color under sunlight or incandesant light source. Also watch out for silk in the stone. Silk will destroy the flash and brilliance of an otherwise good piece faster than anything I know. Some of the silkies are being hawked with "sleepy" or "softened" in the description. A better word to describe them would probably be dull :roll: .

All that aside, rhodolite's are one of my all time fav's :D . They cut sweet, they show great eye impact and with all that they've got going for them, they're still one of the most reasonably priced gemstones out there IMHO.

Good luck and I hope you find an awesome one :D

Pete

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, there is such a thing as a blue garnet but they are generally a colour changer, which is uncommon and towards a darker tone. A rhodolite should be easy enough to find and not terribly expensive although do make sure not to get something too dark as most rhodolites tend to do so.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1303747445|2904571 said:
Yes, there is such a thing as a blue garnet but they are generally a colour changer, which is uncommon and towards a darker tone. A rhodolite should be easy enough to find and not terribly expensive although do make sure not to get something too dark as most rhodolites tend to do so.

Actually fine rhodolites, like Ruffysdad described, with the lavender in them and light tone, are very difficult to find. I know as I've been looking.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
The bracelet is mine :wavey: . I got my Rhodolite from Gene @ Precision Gem. I contacted him and told him what I was looking for. He had the stone cut quite quick. I'd definitely order from him again. Daniel M works frequently works with silver. Caren was always quick to answer my (hundreds of) questions. Both vendors were excellent!

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
thanks for all the kind replies. I've got my work cut out for me! lots to investigate! I love the color of this stone, I have a beautiful pinkish red spinel, they are very sparkly stones, spinels. I'll most certainly contact DanielM., gorgeous work! I'm picking up an aquamarine ring next week, so I'm investigating a next project. My jeweller here is mostly high end diamonds, not really a colored stone expert. So, I"ll investigate some of this info. Thanks! :appl:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I would love to know what happened to the lighter pink rhodolite that was around a couple of years ago. There are still some beautiful raspberry purple pink stones out there but mostly in darker tones.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the lighter raspberry colored stones but so many I see are darker. I think they look great in the white metals.

I am attaching my "find" at a local jeweler. He had this rhodolite very reasonable. I put some 1/2 ctw PC studs I had with it and had him make me a ring.

rhodmac.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
marcy|1304038233|2907532 said:
I like the lighter raspberry colored stones but so many I see are darker. I think they look great in the white metals.

I am attaching my "find" at a local jeweler. He had this rhodolite very reasonable. I put some 1/2 ctw PC studs I had with it and had him make me a ring.
I like the color on that one. Good use of studs. I turned some into side stones for a ring too.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Marcy ~

That is just beautiful. Love the color! Thanks for showing a great example of that luscious raspberry pink rhodolite can be.

Crasru ~

I saw that and the cut alone would make me curious to see it IRL. Let us know if you change your mind and decide to hit the hot button!

~ faegrace

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
crasru|1304053483|2907754 said:
I am afraid to push the button because I decided not to buy rhodolites but I saw a new one on Gary Braun's Finewater website and it looks nice.

http://www.finewatergems.com/new-gemstones.html

PLEASE grab that one !!!!! :love: :love: :love:
I HAVE to see !!!!
I have absolutely, totally, without a doubt exhausted
my gemstone fund for a long while, and
MUST live vicariously through others !!!!
And goodness, what a beauty!
I am loving garnets lately! !! !! !

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Faegrace and Innerkitten.

Someone bought that gorgeous rhodolite. I hope it shows up here in CS.

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
NEWS

Hi, well I went to see my jeweller here in town, and he's going to make me a ring, with a rhodolite, or a red/pink spinel, or a rubellite tourmaline. He's going to get some stones for me to see. The setting will be white gold, with pave diamonds about 14 either side. it will sparkle like crazy! I've had my eye on this setting for some time. I've been wanting something red for some time too. I can't wait! he's also making me a ring, in my old (original) e-ring setting, I asked him to get me a blue/green un-treated aquamarine. :)) If anyone has any good sites for stones, let me know. I can always buy and bring him one. I"m going to look on my Mac for pictures of colors I like, and post them. Can't wait!! How do I manage to get through this waiting.. :?: .it's going to be tough...anticipation....like that old ketchup commercial... :wavey:

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
that is a gorgeous ring...I love the color! :appl: I would like a stone that color, but I would need an oval one for the ring I want. It will be set length-wise, across a pave diamond band.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1304038233|2907532 said:

Marcy - nice color, and not too dark and no shed of brown or orange, which is good as far as rhodolites are concerned.

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
Found my garnet, had my ring made up with ruby and iamond halo, and diamonds on sides too, i love it

_27713.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring! Please share the stats and post a ton of photos! Your ruby and diamond eternity is amazing too :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results