shape
carat
color
clarity

RG or YG Barbara Miligrain Pendant for this OEC?

Novabling

Rough_Rock
I'm a long time PS fan and found this forum immensely helpful 3 years ago when I was looking for an engagement ring. Now I'm hoping the experts here can help me decide on a setting for my next project!

I've purchased a gorgeous sparkly OEC from the wonderful Adam at OWD. The stone does not have a cert, but according to Adam it is 0.96 ct, VS1, 6.1mm, is an L/M but faces up like a J.

I'd like to set it in Brian Gavin's Barbara w/ Miligrain but I can't decide -- rose gold or yellow gold? What is best for an everyday pendant?

_34690.jpg

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Does your skin tone happen to have a pink or yellow undertone to it? I'm asking bc I got the Barbara pendent in white gold and I wish now that I got it in rose gold to sort of match my skin undertones. I feel like the white in the metal stands out on my skin and I'd like the chain to blend in more so that it appears the bezel is floating on my collar bone.

Just a thought.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I think it would look beautiful in either. However, I agree that it's a good idea to go with what looks best with your skin tone. Do you already have rose gold pieces? Do you have pieces in both colors that you can take a pic of next to your arm or hand? I think you might get more opinions if people could see yellow vs rose gold on you. Or you could try going to a store to compare how the colors look on you before making a decision. Btw, I love the Barbara milgrain pendant! Great choice for your pretty oec! :appl:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UrsTx|1443576102|3933332 said:
Does your skin tone happen to have a pink or yellow undertone to it? I'm asking bc I got the Barbara pendent in white gold and I wish now that I got it in rose gold to sort of match my skin undertones. I feel like the white in the metal stands out on my skin and I'd like the chain to blend in more so that it appears the bezel is floating on my collar bone.

Just a thought.

LOL! I avoid rose gold for precisely the reason that UrsTx is suggesting it - it blends in with my skin too much.

I bought a pre-loved diamond that's almost a twin of yours (except that it's a color or two lower) set in rose gold but I rarely wear it because rose gold just isn't my thing. One of these days I'll have it re-set in the Barbara in white gold, since I'm mostly wearing white metals these days.

I think the diamond itself will look good in white, yellow, or rose gold. The question is which will you wear most often. Or - if you don't see the finished pendant as an everyday thing, which would be most likely to wear on the occasions when you'd be wearing that pendant?

Actually, you're inspiring me to just do it and get that diamond re-set!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, it's about skin tone and also about what you will wear everyday and what other color metals you wear. I wear all three colors, and I love all of them. I find I wear my rose and white gold more in the winter (I live in New England ) when my skin is paler and more like it's natural color where the peach/pink tones show. In the summer, when I've gotten some color on my face and arms and hands, I like how yellow gold looks on me. I like to mix metals, but I don't seem to like to mix yellow and rose. Just white with one or the other. And the question of whether you want the chain to blend in or pop is also something to think about. Like so many things, I think this is all personal preference and what you think you will wear the most and what other jewelry you will be wearing.

Novabling

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your responses, great input and advice! My skin has more pink tones in the winter but more yellow in the summer months. I currently wear a rose gold and pink diamond wedding band with a platinum ER and love mixing rose and white gold so my first inclination was rose gold.

However, I've seen some gorgeous yellow gold bezels and am drawn to the classic look of the yellow gold. I didn't think I would have such a hard time deciding!

Novabling

Rough_Rock
VRBeauty|1443633763|3933508 said:
UrsTx|1443576102|3933332 said:

Just a thought.

LOL! I avoid rose gold for precisely the reason that UrsTx is suggesting it - it blends in with my skin too much.

I bought a pre-loved diamond that's almost a twin of yours (except that it's a color or two lower) set in rose gold but I rarely wear it because rose gold just isn't my thing. One of these days I'll have it re-set in the Barbara in white gold, since I'm mostly wearing white metals these days.

I think the diamond itself will look good in white, yellow, or rose gold. The question is which will you wear most often. Or - if you don't see the finished pendant as an everyday thing, which would be most likely to wear on the occasions when you'd be wearing that pendant?

Actually, you're inspiring me to just do it and get that diamond re-set!

VRBeauty would you mind posting a photo of your rose gold piece? I'd love to see it to at least get an idea of the look!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
From that photo, the undertone looks brown rather than yellow, so I'd lean toward rose gold - but almost all the OWD photos look brownish to me, so it's tough to tell. I'd pick whatever you like best with your skin - try a few on at a local jeweler.

I have a white gold bezel with rose gold chain on my k/l OEC and I LOVE the mixed metals. Less classic of a look for sure, though.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My necklace is at home and I'm not, and won't be for a few days. If you're still trying to decide when I get back I'll gladly post a picture for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results