shape
carat
color
clarity

Reviews of Steven Kirsch?

btran1985

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Although this is my first time posting on pricescope, I am not new to the forum. I have been doing a lot of research on here and reading about different jewelers to decide on who I should have create my engagement ring and wedding band. I was looking for an expert in micropave work as I wanted something that looked similar to the classic Harry Winston ring. After reading numerous posts, I decided to go with Steven Kirsch. Everyone said he was very easy to work with and will communicate with me throughout the process, and will get the work done on time. My fiancé and I dropped off our diamond at his NYC office 9 weeks ago today. Initially, he told us the ring would be done in 4 to 6 weeks. And well, we still don't have it. After 2 weeks, we emailed him for progress pictures, but didn't hear back. Called him during the 3rd week and his assistant said that he was very busy but that she'd pass the message along to him that we were wanting progress pictures. Several weeks went by and still no email or calls from him, so my fiancé decides to email and call again. Steven didn't answer him, so I called using my work phone on June 5th. Steven picked up the phone and told me he'd have it done 2 & 1/2 weeks. Before hanging up I reminded him that I would like progress pictures and he said okay, but guess what? Still no pictures. My fiancé emailed him as well as called him yet again yesterday June 17th, still no answer from him.

Initially, I didn't want to rush him because I wanted him to do a good job on the ring. But its getting kind of ridiculous, I mean he's 3 weeks past the time he quoted me. I've been losing sleep over this because it's such an expensive object that we just left in his hands! And I was the one that told my fiancé to get me a Steven Kirsch ring, and now I feel like I made a big mistake. I'd feel so much more reassured if he emails me pictures or even just tells me that he hasn't started on the ring! We're from KS and made a special trip to NYC to see him when we dropped off the diamond, otherwise I would be knocking on his office doors!

Has anyone else worked with him recently? What has your experience been like?

-Betty

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
My only experience with SK was when I was searching for a jeweler to design my halo. I submitted a quote on line and after hearing nothing for a few days, I picked up the phone and called. A man answered the phone and I told him that I was wanting to speak with someone about a quote on a custom halo. He rudely replied, "did you submit the online form?" I told him that I had, but got no response. His suggestion was to wait longer....
I'm sorry that you are having a difficult time with SK. I ended up going with ERD and Chris always responded to me within the hour. We maintained constant communication (at least a few times per week) throughout my ring process - everyone deserves that. I hope that you get a response soon and more importantly, I hope that your ring turns out gorgeous, which I'm sure it will as SK is very talented.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1371597617|3468357 said:
My only experience with SK was when I was searching for a jeweler to design my halo. I submitted a quote on line and after hearing nothing for a few days, I picked up the phone and called. A man answered the phone and I told him that I was wanting to speak with someone about a quote on a custom halo. He rudely replied, "did you submit the online form?" I told him that I had, but got no response. His suggestion was to wait longer....
I'm sorry that you are having a difficult time with SK. I ended up going with ERD and Chris always responded to me within the hour. We maintained constant communication (at least a few times per week) throughout my ring process - everyone deserves that. I hope that you get a response soon and more importantly, I hope that your ring turns out gorgeous, which I'm sure it will as SK is very talented.

that was pretty much my experience with him,too. Twice I submitted requests for quotes and never heard from him either time- so I went on to work with other vendors. This was a couple of years ago and I thought from people's comments that he was more responsive now, but sounds like this is not always the case. The good news for you is that most people are quite pleased with his work. Hope you hear from him soon.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think Steven's pitfall can be time managment. I had my 3 stone done by him over the holiday seeason. It was suppsed to be 8 weeks but ended up being closer to 11 weeks. It didn't bother me though as this was not my ering and I had other custom projects going on. However he was very responsive to me via email (I actually never called him through the entire process and I'm also out of state).

I hate to tell you not to worry, as I know you are in good hands with him and you will love your ring. Don't loose sleep over this. I would email Steven and say you would appreciate a realistic date of when the ring will be done. If possible give him a deadline and remind him that you are past the orginal timeline (which by the way happens ofen in custom in my experience).

Also my ring was done a week earlier but I told him I want photos of it. His photographer only comes in once a week (which wasn't initally explained to me at first). So he might be holding off on finishing your ring till a closer day of his photographer coming in if that makes sense.

btran1985

Rough_Rock
This is the first custom piece that I've had made and it makes me feel a little better knowing that its not unusual for the jeweler's not to meet the deadline. And I was not aware either that he has a special photographer that comes in to take the progress pictures. I figured it was just from his own personal camera. Thank you so much for your response. It puts me so much more at ease.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have done about 14-16 custom projects and all were late except for the ones by Victor Canera and DanielM. I know it is frustrating especially if this is as something as important as an ering, but just try to breathe through it. Like I said I think it will get done soon, but Steven is probably just behind with other projects. It seems he either has great communication with clients (like me) or others seem to have trouble getting in touch with him.
However with that said just know that your ring will be stunning and well worth the wait.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I said this on your other thread, but this time of year is busy for custom ring makers as they have the usual business plus lots of wedding bands, more than likely, because of summer weddings. I wouldn't worry for a minute about Steven. And I did also say that progress pictures are not typical and I would definitely not expect them when a ring maker is clearly extremely busy.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fwiw, I've not had the opportunity to work with SK, but would definitely be put out if I had repeatedly tried to contact him with little to no response, particularly when he was not coming through with what he said he would do. I understand the reasons, but still!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1371608235|3468450 said:
I said this on your other thread, but this time of year is busy for custom ring makers as they have the usual business plus lots of wedding bands, more than likely, because of summer weddings. I wouldn't worry for a minute about Steven. And I did also say that progress pictures are not typical and I would definitely not expect them when a ring maker is clearly extremely busy.

Oh Process pictures?!?!?!! I thought we were talking about final glamour pictures. I apologise my earlier comment was based off of that in mind.

OP- I really doubt even if you asked for these pictures they will happen. Steven pays a photographer for his jewerly shots so I doubt he will do inprocess pictures for you. Most jewerlers don't unless there are questions about how to move forward with a design element. I'm assuming the design you are having made is one that he has already done in which case I would not expect process pictures at all. I don't think I have actually ever gotten them with any of my custom projects because they were allready part of the vendor's current offering.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
It seems like some of the more popular designer get some sort of "pass" for bad customer service. Why is it acceptable for a custom piece to be late and even more importantly, why is it okay for them not to communicate with their customers???? When I chose my jeweler for my halo, I went with my gut. I contacted all the popular choices and two local jewelers in my area. I felt that while the popular jewelers (like SK, VC, etc.) would most certainly deliver a fabulous completed project, I just didn't feel like they were right for me in terms of customer service. Sure, price was a factor too, but had I felt that SK, VC, etc. would have given me top-notch customer service, I would have happily paid the extra money because I truly do feel that their work/craftsmanship is spectacular. As some of you know, in the end, I chose ERD. Chris from ERD communicated with me multiple times per week, he always answered my question promptly & professionally, and I received pictures immediately upon the completion of my ring. Not only was my ring on time, but it was completed and shipped sooner than I expected. On top of all that, my ring is simply stunning. I have no doubt in my mind that I chose the right jeweler and while we all have different choices to make (which is perfectly fine), I wouldn't find it acceptable if a custom piece was late or if my jeweler was not communicating with me. ERD treated me like my ring was the only ring, not just another ring in a long line of custom projects. My point in sharing all of this is not to sell ERD - just that I think that people should have higher expectations of their jewelers. I don't think that it's too much to ask to return an email or a phone call, just as I don't think it's too much to ask to have a project completed on time (even if it is a "busy" time of year).....
I'm sorry to hear that your experience has had a couple of bumps in the road, btran1985, but I'm sure that your SK ring will be gorgeous - he truly does deliver a fabulous product! Please share pics when your ring finally arrives :)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1371728428|3469196 said:
It seems like some of the more popular designer get some sort of "pass" for bad customer service. Why is it acceptable for a custom piece to be late and even more importantly, why is it okay for them not to communicate with their customers???? When I chose my jeweler for my halo, I went with my gut. I contacted all the popular choices and two local jewelers in my area. I felt that while the popular jewelers (like SK, VC, etc.) would most certainly deliver a fabulous completed project, I just didn't feel like they were right for me in terms of customer service. Sure, price was a factor too, but had I felt that SK, VC, etc. would have given me top-notch customer service, I would have happily paid the extra money because I truly do feel that their work/craftsmanship is spectacular. As some of you know, in the end, I chose ERD. Chris from ERD communicated with me multiple times per week, he always answered my question promptly & professionally, and I received pictures immediately upon the completion of my ring. Not only was my ring on time, but it was completed and shipped sooner than I expected. On top of all that, my ring is simply stunning. I have no doubt in my mind that I chose the right jeweler and while we all have different choices to make (which is perfectly fine), I wouldn't find it acceptable if a custom piece was late or if my jeweler was not communicating with me. ERD treated me like my ring was the only ring, not just another ring in a long line of custom projects. My point in sharing all of this is not to sell ERD - just that I think that people should have higher expectations of their jewelers. I don't think that it's too much to ask to return an email or a phone call, just as I don't think it's too much to ask to have a project completed on time (even if it is a "busy" time of year).....
I'm sorry to hear that your experience has had a couple of bumps in the road, btran1985, but I'm sure that your SK ring will be gorgeous - he truly does deliver a fabulous product! Please share pics when your ring finally arrives :)

This is interesting to hear as I recommend ERD all the time- in fact I believe I recommended them in your thread about your own halo. Though they have never once in 6 years contacted me back about a price quote. My neighbor's Emilya/ HW styled halo was over 5 weeks late due to a mistake which was later fixed, but still took time. My point is to not knock ERD, as already stated I still recommend them though I don't have fantastic CS experience with them. But I recongize that for the vast majority of custom projects timelines are never on schedule and no two people will have the same experience- it is not by any means a pass for bad customer serivce. It is just the nature of the beast. I have found this out the hard way as I think only 2 out of the dozen plus vendors I have worked with were the only ones on time. So trust me when I say all vendors do this. Regardelss of whatever timeline they give you- they will TRY to meet it but in my experience 80% of the time that timeline slips to the right. I think a good company will call or email and let you know. But also remember alot of business don't have an admin staff so I take that into consideration as well. For me I'm paying for the end result and as long as it gets to me I'm not going to be picky about a timeline.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results