shape
carat
color
clarity

Reverse shoulder replacement surgery? Anyone had this?

Q

Queenie60

My husband is having reverse shoulder replacement surgery tomorrow. Have any of you experienced this? And if so, what is the outcome? Did you get the results you had hoped for? I welcome your feedback as this will help me in the days ahead.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
This isn't something I've heard of but I do hope it all goes well with a speedy recovery.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No help but sending warm wishes for a speedy and successful surgery. For you both! :lol:

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother had this done in February. She had a good result. Not as painful as her knee replacement which I understand is because of the removal of lots of the soft tissue (rotator cuff, tendons, etc.). I would push for him to go to a rehab place post surgery for a week or so and then have in home care rather than relying on you or someone to take him to therapy, doctors, etc., several times per week. My mom also got this chair (rented) that has passive range of motion. She sat in it with her arm in this thing and the chair moved her arm up and down very slowly which helped her not get edema or locked shoulder. By the time she was able to do PT on her own, she hadn’t lost the strength, flexibility, etc., that she would have if she just sat there waiting til it was time. Also, she had this “ice machine” that looked like a large thermos. You put ice packs and water in it. Then there are tubes that go from the Ice machine up to this shoulder harness. You put that harness up on the shoulder and draped across the front and back of the upper arm and turn the machine on. It circulates the ice water thru the tube and is much easier to keep ice on, which she had to do for like 20 minutes at a time every hour. Fill it up once per day and it stayed cold all day. After she was in rehab for two weeks, she came to our house for two weeks because she is 85 and lives alone and I wanted to make sure this chair worked and that she was complying with her restrictions and doing the icing and taking all her meds. If she was at home, she would have been driving and working in the garden the next day :)

Q

Queenie60

My mother had this done in February. She had a good result. Not as painful as her knee replacement which I understand is because of the removal of lots of the soft tissue (rotator cuff, tendons, etc.). I would push for him to go to a rehab place post surgery for a week or so and then have in home care rather than relying on you or someone to take him to therapy, doctors, etc., several times per week. My mom also got this chair (rented) that has passive range of motion. She sat in it with her arm in this thing and the chair moved her arm up and down very slowly which helped her not get edema or locked shoulder. By the time she was able to do PT on her own, she hadn’t lost the strength, flexibility, etc., that she would have if she just sat there waiting til it was time. Also, she had this “ice machine” that looked like a large thermos. You put ice packs and water in it. Then there are tubes that go from the Ice machine up to this shoulder harness. You put that harness up on the shoulder and draped across the front and back of the upper arm and turn the machine on. It circulates the ice water thru the tube and is much easier to keep ice on, which she had to do for like 20 minutes at a time every hour. Fill it up once per day and it stayed cold all day. After she was in rehab for two weeks, she came to our house for two weeks because she is 85 and lives alone and I wanted to make sure this chair worked and that she was complying with her restrictions and doing the icing and taking all her meds. If she was at home, she would have been driving and working in the garden the next day :)
Thank you for sharing this wealth of information. Surgeon has a PT center in premises and wants to begin PT very soon after surgery. Do you have name of the chair? I appreciate you taking the time to respond

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wishing your husband the best for a speedy recovery @Queenie60!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No info from me either I’m afraid, but I hope all goes well and he recovers quickly and smoothly!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best wishes to both of you! Hope he has an excellent outcome!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wishing your dh an easy and full recovery and sending you lots of good wishes @Queenie60.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m hoping your husbands surgery goes well tomorrow and that he has a speedy recovery.

Q

Queenie60

Wishing your dh an easy and full recovery and sending you lots of good wishes @Queenie60.

Thank you for your kind words Missy

I’m hoping your husbands surgery goes well tomorrow and that he has a speedy recovery.

Thank you @Calliecake

Q

Queenie60

No info from me either I’m afraid, but I hope all goes well and he recovers quickly and smoothly!!

Thank you Yssie

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A colleague of mine had this done. He showed me the x-ray afterwards - reverse ball and socket, fascinating! This fellow had rotator cuff surgery on his other shoulder years ago. He found the recovery from the new surgery to be far quicker and far less painful. Now he claims to have a completely different (better) mobility with his arm. Has medical science improved on mother nature? I hope the surgery went (goes?) well and wish your husband a speedy recovery.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60 I hope everything goes okay today. The chair my mom got was called a CPM (continuous passive motion). She “rented” it from this place Kinex. Medicare covered most of the cost of the rental.

Not sure where you are located, but that link will show you the chair/machine, there are videos on YouTube on how to use it. Kinda funny, the PT place had never heard of it, but everyone was glad she had it as it got her a good start on PT before she had to do active range of motion exercises. Hope all is well.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Queenie60 I hope he has a successful surgery and an easy recovery..

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60, I hope your husband's surgery went well and I'm wishing him a speedy recovery <3

beatricecrummles

Rough_Rock
I've never heard of it but, it sounds painful. However, sending prayers for you husband's surgery success and may he recover soon. Keep us posted.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60, I hope your husbands surgery went well today and you both are doing well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results