shape
carat
color
clarity

Return band - flat vs domed engraved ring

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Hi.
I asked DK to make me a band for the ring he recently made. While it’s beautiful and the workmanship is amazing, I find myself bothered by the fact that it’s not a perfect match to my ring. Specifically, my ring is comfort fit domed and the bad is flat. In the communication with DK, I asked to have a (verbatim) “wedding band made to match the beautiful ring you just made.” I then specified the width, metal choice and the engraving I wanted. I did not specifically ask for domed vs flat because in my mind he would make the band to match the band of the ring he had just made for me.
So I need your opinion here - am I being too picky? Like I said, it’s a beautiful ring, just bugging me a bit that they are not the same style. But at the same time, don’t want to return it, when I did not specify exactly domed rather than flat.
Here are some pictures of the 2 together (the diamond is not at its peak performance because I can’t get peanut butter off from the bottom *facepalm*) 40870796-C0DA-4B51-A165-741F95A76704.jpeg 891CF103-3A9E-4B72-8033-960EB04822B3.jpeg 6773550E-E5DF-4DB9-974E-B528930D119C.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you aren’t being too picky. It’s not what you want, nor thought what you were getting. Were you given a cad? I guess this really doesn’t matter. They want you to be happy. Tell them of the miscommunication. They may offer to take it back. If it’s domed, will it still have milgrain? Do you want it?

Order another one and ask for it to match the dome/profile of the soli they just made you. Ask to see a cad with both rings on it ( your ring is recent enough I’m assuming this would be easy to do) to confirm. But I don’t know how much has to be taken into account for the engraving.
The band I asked to be made to match just after my ring was done but before shipped, they did the cad this way.

Or keep this one as an option to wear/stack at different times or sell it second hand. What size is it?

blue dawn will do wonders on peanut butter, I assume.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Just popping in to say I love your set.

But I don’t think you are being too picky at all. He can replicate the band no problem

I’d ask if he can exchange it potentially

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Yup. It's awful. Send it to me straight away. I don't want you to have to live with that burden one more second. Matter of fact, you'd better just go ahead and send BOTH rings to me. :evil2:

But seriously, I think the ring is truly lovely, but if it's not what you want, you should get what you want. Try reaching out and talking to them. See what can be done.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is pretty! But DK is amazing. He remade the head of a ring when it was me who wasn’t happy with my setting decision after living with it for several months. He’s a class act. Reach out. He wants you 100% happy!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you have it remade (because this isn't even a question), ask them to use the same CADs as in your e-ring band, so they match exactly. Easy fix.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Hi.
I asked DK to make me a band for the ring he recently made. While it’s beautiful and the workmanship is amazing, I find myself bothered by the fact that it’s not a perfect match to my ring. Specifically, my ring is comfort fit domed and the bad is flat. In the communication with DK, I asked to have a (verbatim) “wedding band made to match the beautiful ring you just made.” I then specified the width, metal choice and the engraving I wanted. I did not specifically ask for domed vs flat because in my mind he would make the band to match the band of the ring he had just made for me.
So I need your opinion here - am I being too picky? Like I said, it’s a beautiful ring, just bugging me a bit that they are not the same style. But at the same time, don’t want to return it, when I did not specify exactly domed rather than flat.
Here are some pictures of the 2 together (the diamond is not at its peak performance because I can’t get peanut butter off from the bottom *facepalm*) 40870796-C0DA-4B51-A165-741F95A76704.jpeg 891CF103-3A9E-4B72-8033-960EB04822B3.jpeg 6773550E-E5DF-4DB9-974E-B528930D119C.jpeg

If there's one thing I know is that DK wants you happy!! I am sure he will not have a problem casting another ring. I love the rings though!! Is that his 18K yellow gold? Love the rich vibrant yellow!!

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Silly question…but can engraving be done on a domed band? Does anyone have pics? Would love to see the second version if you decide to change it out…which you should do if you aren’t happy! DK is the best!

michkal

Rough_Rock
I think it looks great, but I’m not an expert by any means. Can that engraving look as good on a domed band? The metal and widths are a perfect match and I think it’s lovely! However, I’m sure if something can be done to make you happier, go for it. I just think the engraving is nice on a flat band the same width and the solitaire band.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would definitely talk to DK. He will definitely make it so that you love it. I also prefer domed and comfort fit. I have had a similar band to that and the engraving was done on a domed band.

The white gold band was made by DK and the yellow by schubachs. I prefer the domed because it feels better. Sorry these pictures are not great. I have since sold both.

618205-96b3e90a19cc3a19dc7fe81c28e988ef.jpg 618206-8111d9adcef0707b85291d7b61bce0b5.jpg 618207-6f9565fc49d89aaaa3e4ed6b232da43e.jpg

Last edited:

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
you aren’t being too picky. It’s not what you want, nor thought what you were getting. Were you given a cad? I guess this really doesn’t matter. They want you to be happy. Tell them of the miscommunication. They may offer to take it back. If it’s domed, will it still have milgrain? Do you want it?

Order another one and ask for it to match the dome/profile of the soli they just made you. Ask to see a cad with both rings on it ( your ring is recent enough I’m assuming this would be easy to do) to confirm. But I don’t know how much has to be taken into account for the engraving.
The band I asked to be made to match just after my ring was done but before shipped, they did the cad this way.

Or keep this one as an option to wear/stack at different times or sell it second hand. What size is it?

blue dawn will do wonders on peanut butter, I assume.

He had a CAD with the wedding band on it when I got the original e-ring. He even included it in the molds with the ring. So I (stupidly) assumed that was the ring he would make. Learned my lesson abt assuming. It’s a size 6.75.

Blue dawn worked :) Thank you for the advice!!!

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Just popping in to say I love your set.

But I don’t think you are being too picky at all. He can replicate the band no problem

I’d ask if he can exchange it potentially

Thank you. I am working up the courage to ask him. I felt guilty doing so because it was partly my fault and the band is truly beautiful

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
It is pretty! But DK is amazing. He remade the head of a ring when it was me who wasn’t happy with my setting decision after living with it for several months. He’s a class act. Reach out. He wants you 100% happy!!

Oh wow! His reputation seems well deserved

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
When you have it remade (because this isn't even a question), ask them to use the same CADs as in your e-ring band, so they match exactly. Easy fix.

Thank you. Will ask him for this.
I have bookmarked several of your creations because you have such excellent taste. Hope you enjoy wearing them in good health

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
If there's one thing I know is that DK wants you happy!! I am sure he will not have a problem casting another ring. I love the rings though!! Is that his 18K yellow gold? Love the rich vibrant yellow!!

The ering is 18k antique gold and the band is 22k gold. I love the color of it so much!

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely talk to DK. He will definitely make it so that you love it. I also prefer domed and comfort fit. I have had a similar band to that and the engraving was done on a domed band.

The white gold band was made by DK and the yellow by schubachs. I prefer the domed because it feels better. Sorry these pictures are not great. I have since sold both.

618205-96b3e90a19cc3a19dc7fe81c28e988ef.jpg 618206-8111d9adcef0707b85291d7b61bce0b5.jpg 618207-6f9565fc49d89aaaa3e4ed6b232da43e.jpg

Those are some great bands. And the engraving looks beautiful even when domed. Makes me feel more willing to contact him knowing that he can make them just as beautiful when domed

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Definitely contact him! He’s so nice, and i wouldn’t feel like you’re taking advantage at all since you specified it to match. You can do it!!!

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Thank you ladies. I just emailed him (full of guilt). I will keep you updated on the response

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Love the look of the engraved band! Something similar happened to me. I had him make a slim platinum band to match my three-stone. CADs and everything. When it arrived the band was ever so slightly lower in height than the three-stone’s band. I sent him a pic and he immediately responded, oops, we over-polished it, send it back, we’ll recast it and get it right. And he did, within a week, and the second version was perfect.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
He just replied saying he will recast the ring but because the new ring will be domed he can’t add the milgrain edges. Shipping back the current band to him tomorrow. He was so gracious about the whole thing.
Thank you everyone for your advice. This is such a great community.
I will upload pictures of the new band when it arrives (can’t wait )

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@dhimer I am so glad it worked out for you :) For those of you who are sharing stories about him being so great about re-doing this or that, aren't you still paying for that service though? I can't really tell sometimes...also (and unrelated) - do you think DK's team lurks on PS??? :twirl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll tell you honestly, I personally wouldn't have it made of 22kt gold. I'll bet the engraving will wear off fairly easily. My daughter has a 14k rose gold engraved band from DK, and after two years the design has softened. So 22kt is even softer so I would recommend 18K instead.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
@dhimer I am so glad it worked out for you :) For those of you who are sharing stories about him being so great about re-doing this or that, aren't you still paying for that service though? I can't really tell sometimes...also (and unrelated) - do you think DK's team lurks on PS??? :twirl:
I assume there is some cost build into his pricing for these type of situations. Unless, he takes a loss on a piece and in return “gains a customer for life”. Those of you that have more experience with custom work, please chime in

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I'll tell you honestly, I personally wouldn't have it made of 22kt gold. I'll bet the engraving will wear off fairly easily. My daughter has a 14k rose gold engraved band from DK, and after two years the design has softened. So 22kt is even softer so I would recommend 18K instead.

I have been really into 22k gold lately and been exclusively wearing it. So I really wanted it in 22. My MIL has an engraved ring that is 40 yrs old, in 22k. The engraving has worn off but in a charming way (I think). So I’m ok with the worn look of it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any vendor needs to feed his family and make payroll. I guarantee no jeweller is routinely taking losses on pieces to gain loyal customers. Perhaps in extreme circumstances… And in those circumstances the vendor most likely never wants to see that client again :bigsmile:

Everything will be either charged in addition or built into the final quote. “Everything” includes design time (vendor ideation, vendor sketches, vendor CADs), crafting labour, and materials. Some vendors will skew more heavily toward some of those services than others, depending on specialty, expertise, and what they do in-house vs. outsourcing.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
He just replied saying he will recast the ring but because the new ring will be domed he can’t add the milgrain edges. Shipping back the current band to him tomorrow. He was so gracious about the whole thing.
Thank you everyone for your advice. This is such a great community.
I will upload pictures of the new band when it arrives (can’t wait )

It's great that he will recast, but are you okay with not having milgrain edges? I don't see why it could not be done? The yellow gold ring in HS4S_2 's pictures have milgrain.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Any vendor needs to feed his family and make payroll. I guarantee no jeweller is routinely taking losses on pieces to gain loyal customers. Perhaps in extreme circumstances… And in those circumstances the vendor most likely never wants to see that client again :bigsmile:

Everything will be either charged in addition or built into the final quote. “Everything” includes design time (vendor ideation, vendor sketches, vendor CADs), crafting labour, and materials. Some vendors will skew more heavily toward some of those services than others, depending on specialty, expertise, and what they do in-house vs. outsourcing.

Thank you for your response. It’s really helpful for us newbies

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
It's great that he will recast, but are you okay with not having milgrain edges? I don't see why it could not be done? The yellow gold ring in HS4S_2 's pictures have milgrain.

I assume that he could add milgrain to @HS4S_2 ring because it was wider that the one I’m having made ? I think I’m ok without the milgrain (at least with the way I visualize it in my head). But even if it doesn’t look nice I’m going to accept it as not to be cut off from him (as @ yssie said )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results