shape
carat
color
clarity

Retinoids: Do we love or hate them?

Retinoids: Do we love or hate them?

• Total voters
I am VERY conservative with botox. Like below minimal dose. I started getting it for migraines, and it eventually wasn't as effective as I'd hoped. Plus a neurologist injecting it makes your face look weird.

I rotate sunscreens but really don't even use them once a week and I need to. I was using some Lancome one for awhile, then sometimes I'll use Babyganics, or regular summer brands.

They call it "baby botox," I believe. You wouldn't even know people have add it, except their faces look "refreshed."

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AprilBaby What's the highest level of retin-a? About a year ago I asked my doc if I could go up and she said she thought
it would be too much for me. I'm at 0.05 percent and use it almost every night. I'm thinking 0.5% is pretty low.

I never got into botox because I heard you had to have it done every 3-4 months. Just seems like it would add up fast over the
years and be a lot of maintenance.

I did do some filler (1 tube worth) about 15 years ago. It was painful...I think if I did it these days it would be multiple tubes.

I also read that lasers can melt the fat in your face and I dont have any fat to lose there so that is my concern with lasers.

I think between the cost and pain level I'm pretty much just going to have to accept that I won't look young forever!

So how many pokes is baby botox? I might be able to handle that!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
@AprilBaby What's the highest level of retin-a? About a year ago I asked my doc if I could go up and she said she thought
it would be too much for me. I'm at 0.05 percent and use it almost every night. I'm thinking 0.5% is pretty low.

I never got into botox because I heard you had to have it done every 3-4 months. Just seems like it would add up fast over the

I did do some filler (1 tube worth) about 15 years ago. It was painful...I think if I did it these days it would be multiple tubes.

I also read that lasers can melt the fat in your face and I dont have any fat to lose there so that is my concern with lasers.

I think between the cost and pain level I'm pretty much just going to have to accept that I won't look young forever!

I have never had fillers, but I have had many, many botox injections. I did it for years for migraines, and now having it done by an RN who specializes in this it is nearly painless.

Especially compared to the neurologist who injected more units, in more places, and with a rough touch.

I'd guess that botox hurts wayyy less than fillers, I have heard this from people I know who have had both too.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your comment reminded me of this clip (watch until the 1:24 minute mark). lol

First, I love Martin Short. Have you seen his special with Steve Martin? The best.

Second, I had forgotten about that movie (if I ever knew about it), but it is probably the most perverse thing I have ever set eyes on and I need to wash my eyes out with soap now. So of course I love it.

First, I love Martin Short. Have you seen his special with Steve Martin? The best.

Second, I had forgotten about that movie (if I ever knew about it), but it is probably the most perverse thing I have ever set eyes on and I need to wash my eyes out with soap now. So of course I love it.

Roger Ebert described that movie as follows:

"There is something extraterrestrial about it, as if it's based on the sense of humor of an alien race with a completely different relationship to the physical universe."

God, I miss Ebert. That is the greatest line ever written, including Shakespeare. If that were my movie, I would wear Ebert's review like a badge of honor. :lol:

Yes! We just saw the show in November!! I like Steve Martin, of course, but I too went for Martin Short. I utterly adore him. Do you watch "Only Murders in the Building?" Lurrrve.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@Autumn in New England I am a skincare freak!
Have tried bakuchiol? https://www.byrdie.com/what-is-bakuchiol

Here is a more technical, systematic review that integrates the research on bakuchiol,

I use Skinceuticals CE Ferulic but that is about as much as I can tolerate. My other skincare is mostly Sulwhasoo and NIOD. I recently added Bakuchiol. It hasn’t irritated my skin at all!=)2

@Autumn in New England I am a skincare freak!
Have tried bakuchiol? https://www.byrdie.com/what-is-bakuchiol

Here is a more technical, systematic review that integrates the research on bakuchiol,

I use Skinceuticals CE Ferulic but that is about as much as I can tolerate. My other skincare is mostly Sulwhasoo and NIOD. I recently added Bakuchiol. It hasn’t irritated my skin at all!=)2

Korean skincare is all the rage for a reason... it works! I try to avoid the latest trends, but this one is solid. Yes, I used to use the Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum, which has bakuchiol! I also really miss Vitamin C (I had to stop using LAA in the morning, because after the nighttime retinoid, my skin needs total nourishment). But I always loved it and the results are immediate. I tried derivatives (SAP, MAP, THDC, etc.), which are far more gentle, but they just don't seem to do much. Anyway, that Skinceuticals formula is supposed to be the best!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

.10 I think
I get Botox for migraine so I have. A smooth forehead but I have bangs so I don’t see them.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
That spot sounds like it could be perioral dermatitis and won't respond to much you're throwing at it unfortunately. But I would back off the retinoids to like every other day, and maybe not near that area and see how it goes.

Since losing weight I am less conservative with botox simply bec I need more now. I've done filler also which I dont think looks too liberally injected.

That spot sounds like it could be perioral dermatitis and won't respond to much you're throwing at it unfortunately. But I would back off the retinoids to like every other day, and maybe not near that area and see how it goes.

Since losing weight I am less conservative with botox simply bec I need more now. I've done filler also which I dont think looks too liberally injected.

I looked that up... the patch did have a somewhat bumpy, scaly texture. It wasn't quite as red or raw as what they're showing, but I definitely think you could be right. It's been a week now since I stopped the vitamin c, and as of this morning, the area is almost completely normal. So I'm guessing using the retinoid at night with another irritant in the morning was not allowing my skin to recover. Thank you!

Are you going in with the retanoid immediately after cleansing? You really need your skin to be bone-freaking-dry when you apply it — any dampness and it will absorb more deeply, causing irritation.**

My first several months (months!) on Retin-A, I had a whole BEARD of skin flakes. Maddening. Grotesque. Only thing that turned it around was waiting 45-60 min post-cleanse to apply the tret, and then waiting another 30+ min before applying moisturizer. Total and immediate 180 from crusty piece of toast to bodacious slip ‘n slide.

**IANADBIPOOTV (I am not a derm, but I play one on TV)

So... this was in fact the culprit. I'm so grateful you mentioned it! I had read about letting your face dry fully prior to applying the retinoid, and then giving that time to absorb before using moisturizer (although I thought that had more to do with efficacy than irritation... not so!). I assumed my face would dehydrate by waiting and that my issues would be exacerbated, but it's quite the opposite. I now wait a half hour after cleansing to apply the trifarotene and then another half hour after that to moisturize. My face is SO much more hydrated, bouncy, and supple. I no longer have that uncomfortably tight feeling, which had been going on since first starting 8 months ago. I have zero irritation for the first time, and just the tiniest bit of flakes remaining on my chin. But it's a 180* difference in just a week. I'm hoping to see even more improvement in the coming months. THANK YOU!!
slider_yourock.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought two tubes of generic retin-A at a pharmacy in Mexico, but of course I haven’t tried it yet due to being in the sun pretty much always down here. In fact, it’ll probably be a few months before I’ll feel comfortable trying it - LOL!

My mothere’s face was pretty craggy by the time she passed away at age 85. I figure those deep fissures are part of my future too, and if I get them, I’ll do my best to wear them with pride. But if I can find a way to hold them off a bit I will, and I won’t feel bad about it - after all, my mother was still looking for a way to lessen her wrinkles well into the last year of her life!

I just bought two tubes of generic retin-A at a pharmacy in Mexico, but of course I haven’t tried it yet due to being in the sun pretty much always down here. In fact, it’ll probably be a few months before I’ll feel comfortable trying it - LOL!

My mothere’s face was pretty craggy by the time she passed away at age 85. I figure those deep fissures are part of my future too, and if I get them, I’ll do my best to wear them with pride. But if I can find a way to hold them off a bit I will, and I won’t feel bad about it - after all, my mother was still looking for a way to lessen her wrinkles well into the last year of her life!

As they say, the very best anti-aging treatment is sunscreen, sunscreen, and more sunscreen. We all hate it, but it's the very best thing you can do for your face. Good luck with your skincare journey!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started using The Inky List collagen peptide serum in the morning now. I like how it plumps the skin reducing crepeness (?) retin a at night, inky for day and sunscreen!
Btw, my tretinoin is .1%, 1 oz tube from Derm and I pay out of pocket $38

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Fillers & botox. I've heard great things about Teoxane and will be giving it a try at the end of April when I'm finished with my rosacea treatment.

What treatment did you get for your rosacea? I’m on my first round of IPL and I’m loving the results so far.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock

I do the baby Botox and love it! From what I understand, the time in between injections should widen a little as your muscles get accustomed to the Botox. I’m on my third round of Botox and get just enough to make me look refreshed - I can still emote and don’t look frozen. I want to say I get maybe 8 pokes for my crows feet, eyebrow lift, and in between my brows? To me, the pain is very minimal but I also get a lip flip which gently adds the illusion of volume to the upper lip and that HURTS! But the other stuff is only mildly painful, if at all.

I started using The Inky List collagen peptide serum in the morning now. I like how it plumps the skin reducing crepeness (?) retin a at night, inky for day and sunscreen!
Btw, my tretinoin is .1%, 1 oz tube from Derm and I pay out of pocket $38

That's a great idea... maybe I can do peptides (instead of vitamin c) in the morning and then my retinoid at night. :appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The highest level is .10 and it’s tough but I was using your dose for thirty years so I can handle it but not every day. Btw, you cannot mix peptides with vit c. I didn’t read the label and put a hole in my cheek mixing them.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What treatment did you get for your rosacea? I’m on my first round of IPL and I’m loving the results so far.

VBeam Prima laser. Second treatment in 2 weeks. Noticeable improvement the day of treatment with increasing improvement over the past 8 weeks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results