shape
carat
color
clarity

Resizing a Platinum Filagree so we don''t have to go custom mold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MCoupe

Rough_Rock
Looking at getting an engagement ring and found out that the girlfriend likes Filigree & antique style rings. We found a local jeweler that has a couple from Lucie Campbell in London. Only problem is that her ring size is between a 9-10 (we''re getting a fitting today to be sure). Lucie Campbell only stocks rings that go up to size 8, past that is a custom mold that adds quite a bit to the price (in some cases, almost $2k). Wondering if we might be able to save by getting a size 8, and getting it re-sized? And lastly, I plan on getting the diamond separately on BlueNile or WF.com and having it set.

Will re-sizing possibly two sizes distort the look of the ring?
What should I expect to pay for re-sizing platinum?
And any other concerns to worry about?

I haven''t spoken to the jeweler about this yet, figured I''d get opinions here and also see how it stacks up with what they say. I can imagine it would be in their best interest (financially) to sell me on a custom mold though.

Here are a couple of the rings we''re looking at:

408949622_97f9971ea3_o.jpg

408949604_2412687903_o.jpg

408949591_f23af1f660_o.jpg

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
With those designs you can resize them, even from a size 8 to a size 10.

Normally when sizing a ring like those they will not change the curvature at the top very much. First they cut it in half at the bottom, then they just expand the sides out slightly, reshape the curvature at the sides and bottom to be round again with a gap in the middle, then add a new section of metal in the gap for the correct size. This might make the proportions on the top of the ring to look a bit off (the side stones for example may not cover the entire top of the finger), and also the detail work on the sides may be hammered a bit in the sizing process and need to be re-engraved.

Going from a 8 to a 9 shouldn't be much of a big deal.

To resize that ring you'll need to add some platinum. I'd say a fair price would be about $80-200 including labor and everything depending on how much metal is added.

MCoupe

Rough_Rock
Just back from the jeweler and brought up the idea of the re-sizing. They were thinking that we should probably have L. Campbell do the re-sizing if we chose to go that route. They were not sure of the price but thought it might be close to what the custom ring would cost. They''ll let us know early next week.

Couldn''t quite get her size though. We went to a couple jewelers and no one had any actual rings in sizes 9-10 that she could try on. When being sized at two places, she came up a 8.75 at one and a 9.25 at the other.

I''m almost thinking we should get the ring in a 8, have it re-sized here by a reputable jeweler and save quite a bit of money and time in the process. The ring is amazing by itself, I would want to make sure the re-sizing wouldn''t loose any of its appeal just to save what would end up being $800. But then again, if she had a custom one made in her size, it''s not like she could try it on first anyway...

This is complicated
7.gif

But we did find out which ring she wants. It''s this with a round setting instead of the cushion as shown:

408949604_2412687903_o.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally I think there is about a 50/50 chance of trashing that setting when resizing it.
Have the maker do it if its done at all.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should be able to resize those larger with not too much of a problem. Going from an 8 to a 10 though would be 4 sizes, and I've had some places only be able to size up 3...ie from 8 to 9.5. But it should be possible...

ETA: Does the engraving go all the way around? I would have the maker resize, and you could have to pay more if you want the bottom re-engraved.

MCoupe

Rough_Rock
The jeweler mentioned it might be risky re-sizing it, especially with the small diamonds set in the side and the engraving that goes pretty much all the way around the ring - except for a few mm at the base. Not knowing anything about this business, I''d think they were right just on logic.

However we went next door to a more "upscale" place and they seemed to think re-sizing up to 2-3 full sizes should never be a problem.. But they seemed a LOT more concerned about getting us to buy from them than anything. I didn''t think much of them, but that''s another story.

So lets say we just have the new mold made. I''m kind of concerned about getting the right size given she doesn''t have a similar ring to try on and both places sized her differently...

krayzie

Rough_Rock
At whiteflash the following filagree requires a custom mold for a size 10 ring...

gi_WF-4039_f.jpg

The size 10 ring also costs an extra $434. A 7.5 ring would only be $1059 while a size 10 would cost $1493.
Unless these prices are unreasonable, it'll probably be a couple hundred to get it custom made.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
That WF ring would be very hard to size. Of the 3 rings the original poster put up, the first one is easy as pie... the second is pretty much just as easy to size, the third is challenging but can be done, the fourth (the WF one) would be hard to size, would probably get messed up.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
If one jeweler measured her size 8.75 and the other 9.25, then just get a size 9. There''s very little difference between +/- 1/4 a ring size, especially in larger finger sizes. And if the size 9 is too tight they can just shave off a little material on the inside of the ring to make it 9.25, a quarter size is like shaving off 0.20mm material out of the inside diamter (0.10mm off the entire surface all the way around the circumference) which is no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results