shape
carat
color
clarity

Reseller who bought my piece from LT using my description to sell on Etsy

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was up late last night running some searches on Ebay and Etsy and came across a listing for a ring I sold a few months ago (definitely the same, unique design same size and same name and location of person who bought it.)

The pictures she is using are hers but the description is a nearly word for word copy from the original listing I put on LT. I messaged her on Etsy asking her to revise it since it is a copy of mine.

I'm not sure if I had a right to ask her to revise but it was a nicely worded request. Thoughts?

In the grand scheme of things I don't care that she is reselling the ring but IMO she should put her own effort in to write a description.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would be more bothered if someone reused my pictures - a seller should show an accurate representation of an item as it is now, not some time ago!

To reuse pictures is akin to someone posting a picture of themselves looking 'buff' in their swimming club kit in their mid-20s on a dating site, only for prospective 'buyers' to potentially be disappointed when a somewhat more rotund, somewhat more hirsute, mid-40s office dweller turns up at the restaurant... :lol:

(With no offence or derogatory tone intended towards those of us who tend towards the rotund and hirsute look, of course - it was the misrepresentation I was focusing on! lol)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh @OoohShiny you are too funny.

I actually just heard back from her and she said she though she had edited it enough :whistle:

Mind you if she wanted to use my description she could have just asked and that would have been totally cool. She probably should have asked to use my pics because they were better lol!

I'm on a heavy dose of steroids this week for poison ivy and oh my they are making me crazy :eek2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idk... unless something had changed, I don't think I'd be bothered in the least to have someone use my description. At least I know that it would be an honest, correct description.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grrr! This would make me mad.
But I don't know what can be done about it. Some people just don't have the 'gift of gab' that you do Steph, and she probably realized that your description is much better than anything she could come up with.
BTW, I was worried because you hadn't posted for many days. Poison ivy----ouch! I mean itch!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all who weighed in.....sigh I just don't think I'm myself this week and probably overreacted a bit.

@stracci2000 yup I have it no lie from head to foot, like I rolled around in it! Have to take 12 steroid pills, 3 antibiotic pills and prescription antihistamine a day :wall: The antibiotic is because apparently I scratched my ear at it got infected. Just a damn mess!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not going to ask why you were rolling around in the woods... ;-) :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn, sorry about the poison ivy and infection, hope you're feeling better soon.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all who weighed in.....sigh I just don't think I'm myself this week and probably overreacted a bit.

@stracci2000 yup I have it no lie from head to foot, like I rolled around in it! Have to take 12 steroid pills, 3 antibiotic pills and prescription antihistamine a day :wall: The antibiotic is because apparently I scratched my ear at it got infected. Just a damn mess!
Gee, so sorry! I remember having poison ivy as a kid, but it wasn't too bad. All us kids got it and we were covered with calamine lotion.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny :lol: I wish I had at least a good story, that would make this slightly more worthwhile!

Thank you so much @junebug17!

@stracci2000, I'm just the opposite never had it until I became an adult! Obviously doing everything a** backwards lol!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not going to ask why you were rolling around in the woods... ;-) :lol:

I rolled in poison ivy once :whistle: True story... :oops:

@StephanieLynn I also got it from the smoke of my neighbor burning it! Perhaps that’s how you got it? Feel better!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1 that is so dangerous for people to burn it because it can get into your lungs. Look at you though with your scandalous poison ivy story:twisted2:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1 that is so dangerous for people to burn it because it can get into your lungs. Look at you though with your scandalous poison ivy story:twisted2:
:lol:

:evil2::angel: I’ll never tell! :silenced:

ETA I am on painkillers from surgery last night. Please forgive and kindly forget what comes out of this brain today. I should be sleeping!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry you’re covered in poison ivy! Been there done that!

As for that seller copying your copy, it’s an interesting topic.

I think in the past, I have used pictures from original sellers when reselling (not out of laziness but rather out of frustration with my lack of photo skills). I didn’t realize there was anything insensitive about doing that but you’re right. I’m learning!

I hope your skin feels better soon!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wouldn’t bother me one bit. There is a very limited amount of ways to describe a piece of jewelry.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PreRaphaelite, thanks for the well wishes. TBH I was up in the air about how I felt about this whole Etsy thing but I can see now that it really is a positive and not a negative so not something to worry about, with pictures I think maybe people might have stronger opinions perhaps.

@whitewave so true, there are only so many adjectives in the world :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re aiming to make money off reselling a piece you bought from me... for god’s sake learn to take your own d*mn photos and have the courtesy of using your own d*mn words to make the sale. Photos and effective listings take time and effort, and I expect professionals to put that time and effort into their professions.

If you’re a private individual selling a preloved piece you bought from me with no plan to profit - feel free to use anything I’ve ever said or posted about it, verbiage or pictures.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie, at first I thought she was indeed buying and reselling but she could also just be fickle and tires of pieces quickly, it's hard to tell. One thing is for sure though she believes she can get over $600 for a ring that I sold her for $200 and that was after she negotiated a discount. Well more power to her I guess.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This happened to me on eBay. She even used my hand shots. I messaged her about taking new photos, but she ignored me. o_O

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wouldn’t bother me in the least. I hope your poison ivy is better!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you can tell a seller not to use the same words you used to sell a piece, or even your photos. It's not like you have a copyright on them or anything. I think that is the chance you take. Really, it is kind of flattering. Your words were so perfect she wanted to buy it, so now she is hoping it will do the same for her.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Starfacet maybe she thought your hands looked better!

@Bonfire thank you, it's getting there thank God the steroids work quickly.

@luv2sparkle everythig thing you said make a lot of sense, normal me probably wouldn't have been fazed but grumpy on all kinds of meds me can be a monster!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm an emotional and physical wreck on steroids, so whatever works for you is great. People can be so lazy and rude these days. Really no consideration whatsoever for other people. But I'm an old lady, so my opinion is probably not even worth 2cents. :P2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra, well I already echo your sentiment and I'm 40 so by the time I'm old...watch out world! :lol-2:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wouldn't bother me and I have had buyers ask to reuse my pics too.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood66, see but that's the key is that they did ask you, she didn't use my pictures but I would have said yes if she had asked. The wording thing is less offensive because as someone else pointed out there are only so many ways to describe something.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think that would bother me at all honestly. So sorry about your Poison Ivy!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood66, see but that's the key is that they did ask you, she didn't use my pictures but I would have said yes if she had asked. The wording thing is less offensive because as someone else pointed out there are only so many ways to describe something.
Pics might bother me without asking but the description wouldn't. In fact, on ebay you can make your own listing using someone else's as a template which makes the process much faster.

Edit - so sorry about the poison ivy! Yuck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results