shape
carat
color
clarity

Request the honour or pleasure?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brightstone

Shiny_Rock
I just received the proofs for my invitations and I had originally written "request the honour of your presence" but Crane changed it to "request the pleasure of your company" because we are having a garden wedding. Supposedly, (I just found this out) if you have your ceremony in a church it is supposed to read "request the honour of your presence" and if you have your ceremony NOT in a place of worship it is supposed to read "Request the pleasure of your company". My mom, my fiance and I all like the sound of "request the honour of your presence" better but we now feel we now have to use "request the pleasure of your company" because of this rule I just mentioned. Has anyone here used "request the honour of your presence" for an outdoor wedding? Help! Need your advice because I have to call back and order them today.

Thank youuuu!!
Bright

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crane changed it because it is inappropriate to use "honour of your presence" if you are not marrying in a house of worship.

I''ve seen many people use it incorrectly, but I assume it is because they didn''t know any better. I would not use it for a garden ceremony, if I were you.

brightstone

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!!!!!! :) I''ll go with "pleasure of your company" and keep things as they should be.

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
I personally have not seen an invitation with the "honour of your presence" wording when the ceremony took place outside a house of worship (even when the officiant was affiliated with a house of worship, and the ceremony was religious).

This doesn''t make it the "wrong thing to do" or whatever. If you prefer a certain wording over any other, I say go for it...I''m not sure how many people (besides brides or print professionals) will really notice.

That said, the Crane''s etiquette helper is technically correct: it''s proper form to use "pleasure of your company" in this instance.

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
for what its worth, i didn''t know that rule, but i just feel the first wording is just so, so formal sounding for a garden wedding. i prefer the revised wording. :)

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 3:46:14 PM
Author: MMM
for what its worth, i didn''t know that rule, but i just feel the first wording is just so, so formal sounding for a garden wedding. i prefer the revised wording. :)
I was just going to say this same thing.

I''ve heard of that rule, but like Medit. said, lots of people probably wouldn''t notice.

brightstone

Shiny_Rock
Hmmmmmm. That leads me to another question then. If I am using "request the pleasure of your company" should I change "the favour of a reply is requested.." to "favor of a reply is requested" on the rsvp to make that less formal too or does it really not matter when it comes to that. Originally, I had put favour on the rsvp to match honour on the invite but now that I am not using honour on the invite, what should I do about "favor/favour"? Eeeegads!!! This IS a minefield!

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely change it to "favor". I would notice the different spellings in a heartbeat!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 3:46:14 PM
Author: MMM
for what its worth, i didn't know that rule, but i just feel the first wording is just so, so formal sounding for a garden wedding. i prefer the revised wording. :)
Ditto! And favor!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Totally "favor" for a garden wedding!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results