shape
carat
color
clarity

Reputable vendor for icy jadeite?

discobanana

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi all. A few weeks ago my 82 year old grandfather passed away after an agonizing battle with cancer. My relationship with him was complicated, as it was with most of us in the family, as he was a difficult guy to get close to. However, I loved him and credit him with instilling certain values and traits in my dad, who passed them on to me (hard work, perseverance, independence, etc). He was tough--really tough. At the tail end of his life he seemed to realize everything that he missed out on and relationships that he neglected to build with alarming clarity, and did what he could to let me and the rest of his loved ones know that he regretted that. Since his passing I've been trying to figure out something to kind of remember him by, and recently decided that an icy jadeite piece would be the perfect way to remember him because of its inherent toughness as well as how translucent it is.

That all being said, I'm completely out of my element looking for an icy jadeite cabochon, and am hoping some of you wise ones can help me. I want something that really glows, but other than that shape and size don't much matter. It will probably need to be on the smaller side because I'm on a budget for this project. A former GIA instructor suggested looking at Mason Kay to find quality jadeite but it doesn't seem like he sells loose cabs, or even finished jewelry online. I'd prefer to find a cab that I will then send to Sally at Heart of Water to set for me (I had her make a moonstone lotus ring for me and she and the finished ring were fabulous). I found this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Certified-A-100-Natural-Perfect-Icy-Green-Jadeite-JADE-Oval-Cabochon-C014-/141938159345?hash=item210c2c6ef1:g:EgIAAOSwoudW8tYX but I'm nervous to try buying on Etsy or eBay because I don't want to wind up with something that's been heavily treated and/or isn't actually jadeite. Any suggestions for vendors? Any ideas on what I should expect to pay for good quality, glowy icy jadeite? If I know what the going rate is for good material I feel like that would help in my search. I appreciate any help you guys can give me!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't know how much they'd go for in the US, but I'm currently working in Burma and can only find tiny pieces that are truly icy jadeite. The good stuff all get smuggled over the border to China still.

I have a pair of 10mm "glassy" jadeite, not as transparent as "icy". They were sold to me for US$250 and are now being set for me in Hong Kong. I've attached photos of them. There was a matching cabochon which is a nice size but was quoted to me at US$800, as the jade rough bought by the jeweller didn't yield much fine material hence he couldn't go down on the price so I passed on that.

A smaller (maybe 7mm?) pair of really icy clean jadeite rounds that I saw today but with a rather flat dome at another shop was asking for US$500. As I didn't intend to get it, I didn't try bargaining.

Hope the reference helps.

fb_img_1477844068006.jpg

img_20160825_130647.jpg

fb_img_1477844008074-1.jpg

discobanana

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for your reply, Burmese daze! You have some beautiful cabs, for sure. They really glow :love: The pricing info is helpful as well. I didn't realize how sparse information would be on this stone, nor how seemingly impossible it would be to find pieces for sale. I'd prefer smaller pieces because now I'm thinking of doing a dbty style bracelet or necklace if I could find a few well matched pieces. I really appreciate the time you took to respond to me and post pictures!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another possible suggestion would be Hon Ngai jewelry. They are a small local family business based in Hong Kong. I don't know if they sell the jade loose, but they do have some nice jade jewelry which you can get assessed at one of the top jade labs in Hong Kong. I've purchased a couple of items (eternity band and a platinum ring setting) from Terence Li, the owner and I've visited their showroom in Hong Kong before. I ended up not liking their jewelry style but I found Terence and his dad (the craftsman) to be very honest and helpful people. I think it's worth asking them if you are having difficulty finding other sources of icy jade. (Although, the good quality jade will not be cheap, I regularly see $10-30k jade jewelry in the major jewelry stores here in Hong Kong.)

http://www.hnjewelry.com/collections/jade-jewelry/products/diamond-ring-with-icy-jade
https://www.etsy.com/shop/honngaijewelry

Have you considered asking Sally if she can source icy jade? It seems she can get lavender jade easily.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Burmadaze,

The icy jadeite prices you have are friendlier than outside of Myanmar. I get my Jade in HK and Thailand where a nice icy would be at least a thousand dollars for a good sized cab. Off the topic, how much are the transluscent type a imperial greens in your area if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi discobanana - smaller pieces would indeed be more affordable and easier to find. The middle tier of the market is struggling to find buyers so you should be in a good position to negotiate on the price. My regular jeweller and I have established rapport and understanding so they quote me a reasonable price to begin with that I don't bargain much from. Can't say the same from other shops.

Seaglow, that little triangle you see next to the fish is probably the best imperial jade for texture, colour and translucency here so far I've seen. It really glows with a life of its own. Not for sale, kept by my jeweller's cousin for his young son :)

Here are a few pieces of imperial jadeite I've seen and a piece that belongs to my jeweller's friend's mine that got set in HK. Smaller pieces have better translucency and fairly easy to find. Larger ring size high dome cabochons I've seen are still looking at a good us4k upwards and are often included or a bit opaque. Good stuff can be found but won't be that much cheaper than in HK, maybe 10-20% less? At wholesale prices by the lot.

My jeweller tells me to be patient and bide my time for good value for money and quality pieces to come by.

fb_img_1477893374389.jpg

fb_img_1477893353484.jpg

fb_img_1477893427931.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My jeweller also impresses upon me to always buy loose stones and jadeite. There are ways to hide flaws or make the colour appear better in a setting. So the amount paid might not be a fair deal for the stones. With loose stones at least you see and know what you are getting with eyes wide open.

discobanana

Rough_Rock
Trade
Oh my goodness, you guys are so wonderful trying to help me on this quest! Thank you x 1,000,000 :wavey:

Burmesedaze: Your jeweler sounds fantastic. The pieces in your photos are beautiful and I'm so happy for you that you're able to work with such helpful people. Would it be too much to ask if you would pass along their contact info to me, or could I give you mine to give to them in an effort to find something? I completely understand if you'd rather not--just thought I'd ask!

Mochiko42: Thank you so much for the link! I'm going to contact Hon Ngal to inquire about loose pieces. If nothing else, I think the ring you linked is gorgeous and maybe it's something that I'll have to work toward if I can't find anything loose. I'll email Sally as well--I didn't think of asking her if she could source stuff like this. She's so pleasant to work with, so I'd love to as much business with her as I can.

Seaglow: What do you consider a good sized cab? Just curious!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seaglow|1477883389|4092176 said:
Hi Burmadaze,

The icy jadeite prices you have are friendlier than outside of Myanmar. I get my Jade in HK and Thailand where a nice icy would be at least a thousand dollars for a good sized cab. Off the topic, how much are the transluscent type a imperial greens in your area if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

I agree, based on the prices I've seen, I would budget at least a thousand dollars for the loose cab. Burmesedaze, I want to go shopping with you! :lol:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Burmadaze,

Thank you for the price reference! It's very helpful. The last time I was in Yangon, I found the government-controlled stores not a bargain still but there pieces were beautiful for varied types of stones. I also love your light green stones!

A lot of good colored imperials are thin because they come as thin veins in a boulder , thus, thicker cabs costs so much more.

Does your jeweller come with a certificate or lab report for type a jade?

Discobanana,

A good-sized cab is at least 8mm x 6mm with a decent dome but my preference is a 10mm x 8mm for an everyday ring.
I get my Jade from the Orchid Jade Factory in Thailand where I can do my selection from thousands of pieces. They select their own boulders but I think they are able to sell worldwide so you can make an inquiry. The quality is good and they guarantee type a jade, but their prices won't be as friendly as where Burmadaze gets her jade.

Here's their shop for icy jades:
http://www.orchidjade.com/shoppingwj1.html

Mochiko,

Even at the factory, the top icy whites (the one that glows) are still at least a thousand!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seaglow|1477967652|4092523 said:
Burmadaze,

Thank you for the price reference! It's very helpful. The last time I was in Yangon, I found the government-controlled stores not a bargain still but there pieces were beautiful for varied types of stones. I also love your light green stones!

A lot of good colored imperials are thin because they come as thin veins in a boulder , thus, thicker cabs costs so much more.

Does your jeweller come with a certificate or lab report for type a jade?

Discobanana,

A good-sized cab is at least 8mm x 6mm with a decent dome but my preference is a 10mm x 8mm for an everyday ring.
I get my Jade from the Orchid Jade Factory in Thailand where I can do my selection from thousands of pieces. They select their own boulders but I think they are able to sell worldwide so you can make an inquiry. The quality is good and they guarantee type a jade, but their prices won't be as friendly as where Burmadaze gets her jade.

Here's their shop for icy jades:
http://www.orchidjade.com/shoppingwj1.html

Mochiko,

Even at the factory, the top icy whites (the one that glows) are still at least a thousand!

In Hong Kong they would easily be several times that :shifty:

Discobanana, I noticed that the Orchid Jade vendor recommended by Seaglow is in Chiang Mai. Sally's also in Chiang Mai too as you know, so maybe she can check them out for you if she doesn't have another icy jade supplier already? (Just a suggestion, you would have to check with Sally if she is willing to do so)

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can pass you their viber contact, they communicate via that :) but i don't know how to use the messaging system in Pricescope. Is there one?

There are govt shops and there are govt shops. Most are really just individuals trying to eke a living or have been asked to take on a shop because of their family businesses. No one I've met here has ever said they like the old government :) if i never found this particular family of jewellers I would never bring myself to spend on these.

There are a number of local labs hrre, AGGL being most respected and the owner has collaborated with GIA. I had a couple of personal friends who bought from my jeweller and got the stones tested back in Singapore at Nanyang Lab. No duds so far. You should always have a 2nd test at a non Myanmar lab for pricier stuff as the local labs here lack the equipment. They serve as a guide and first level check on whether the stones are of Burmese origin (many African and Ceylon stuff are passed off here, Brazilian ones too) and if common treatments are applied.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Seaglow

Yes you are right about the thin veins. Still biding my time for a perfect pair of imperial greens that aren't too flat with a nice glow from within. If I'm only ever going to get 1 pair, it has to count!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Today I went to the factory to look at the icy jades. Here are price ranges from the factory. There are budget friendly cabs and some top quality easily above a thousand dollars. A pair of earrings of top quality is around USD5000. They work in carats and total of two cabs are 9.42carats. The budget friendly cabs are also nice but you can see the sharpness in the top quality. Many cabs are below a thousand dollars....those with a hint of green, lavender or gray (when I say hint, you won't even notice it in most lighting and the quality is good, only when you place it beside the top quality that you see the difference). The top quality is sharp, a pure white, and may have a nice bluish glow. In the photo, the top quality is in the middle.

image_1212.jpg

In this photo, the top quality earrings are on the left. The price range of the rings are from nearly USD5000 for a 7+ carat (the one with diamond melees on the sides) to USD400 for a 2+ carat ring in silver which is at the far right.

image_1213.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got the ring 2nd to the right with a good dome, a 7.77carat ring from an old stock so it was budget friendly. It's about 13mm x 11mm. It is nicely priced because it was from an old stock (one of the remaining 2) and it had a hint of green and the texture isn't perfect but the transluscency and carat weight is good.

Burmesedaze,
I also would like to have a good-sized imperial!

Discobanana,
Hope the photo helps as reference on quality vs. price.

Here is a photo to showing how it looks if it is not beside the top quality.

image_1214.jpg

Here it is beside my imperial jade ring 8mm x 6mm 1.19 carats and a yellowish green band:

image_1215.jpg

Here is a photo showing the "hint of color":

image_1216.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Seaglow, look at that inner glow of the top notch cabs! Thanks so much for sharing. I also shared the photos with my jeweller :)

I like the size of the cab ring you picked up, I'd probably get it too if the price is right. Been looking for a nice cab for a statement bangle set in silver.

See, most of the good rough is still smuggled through border trade, not legitimately sold (and taxed) at the gem emporiums.

Let me know if any of you ladies swing by Yangon, we can go shopping together! My organisation has decent corporate rates with the 5* hotels too.

I'm currently on a work trip and brought this jadeite bead necklace and cab earrings with me. Not icy but my jeweller has been hoarding the necklace for 5 years and hasn't found
anything locally that comes close to the texture. US$650.

The cabs are from her but I had them set in supposed 18k yellow gold and plated with platinum at another shop, also at Gem Museum. Learnt my lesson, they used less than 18k for the pieces I set there as they feel lighter than similar pieces and the metal is harder as well. Gotta choose your goldsmiths carefully here too.

20161102_004059.jpg

20161102_004030.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Mason Kay is an excellent source of certified type A jadeite. I would be extremely careful buying jadeite that has not been certified. Most people, even experienced jewelers are not very familiar with jadeite.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results