shape
carat
color
clarity

Reputable On-Line Dealers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

heel2005

Rough_Rock
Is there a source for comparison information on on-line diamond dealers? I am interested in purchasing a diamond ring for my wife and only want to consider reputable vendors.

heel2005

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the responses.Do most of the on-line dealers mentioned also do the setting in a ring?As I understand the process, this is the way it will go (please correct me if wrong).I will select a diamond from a dealer.
I will ask them to mail to to an appraiser.
I will pay the appraiser for the appraisal and he will let me know the value.
I will have the dealer set the stone in a ring.
The dealer will ship me the ring as I wire the funds.I have not investigated insurance yet. Does the dealer provide it or is that another 3rd party? What are some good sources?Since I want this for Christmas day, when should I start?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
Originally posted by heel2005:
Do most of the on-line dealers mentioned also do the setting in a ring?
Usually all diamond vendors make settings either themselves or can arrange easily it for you. Alternatively, you can arrange it also yourself with your local jeweler.
As I understand the process, this is the way it will go (please correct me if wrong).I will select a diamond from a dealer.
I will ask them to mail to to an appraiser.
I will pay the appraiser for the appraisal and he will let me know the value.
I will have the dealer set the stone in a ring.
The dealer will ship me the ring as I wire the funds.I have not investigated insurance yet. Does the dealer provide it or is that another 3rd party? What are some good sources?Since I want this for Christmas day, when should I start?
I'd recommend to contact Dave Atlas, Accredited Gem Appraisers www.gemappraisers.com or Bill Lieberum (consumers gem laboratory), www.diamondclearinghouse.com so they will advise you on the procedure details including insurance. You might want to consider to make a Gemprint for your diamond - it helps to low an insurance $ up to 10%.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are many. Are you looking for a online broker, or a full service store that also does web business?The broker type store may save you another few hudred dollars, but then the real brick and mortar stores can offer services that brokers can't.I think a few consumers will offer you more unbiased advice in here. Just wait for a few more replies.Good Luck!------------------

pavilions.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi heel2005,The vendor table on pricescope can give you some ideas about the services offered by the various online dealers listed on pricescope. There are lots of good dealers on the net.I see you are in NJ. I don't know if you're north or south, but a great store on Long Island is goodoldgold. Jonathan's website is www.goodoldgold.com Jonathan gives a great education, has cutting-edge diamond grading equipment and lots of variety for you to compare.We can also recommend the following dealers with whom consumers have also noted very positive experiences:StevL is an excellent jeweler/diamond dealer and offers top notch customer service. He is in South Carolina but works with customers from all over the US and even has some international customers. www.demsjewelers.com Martin Sheffield at www.usagiacerteddiamonds.com is a very reliable online diamond dealer and an experienced gemologist (as are Jonathan and Steve L).They all carry branded and unbranded hearts and arrows diamonds. Jonathan and Steve carry EightStar diamonds.Other reputable dealers include Joe Bacon www.intellex.com/~bacon/ who makes beautiful custom jewelry and is a knowledgable appraiser.Many have had good experience with Blue Nile and many of the other online dealers.It is also a great idea to have your diamond checked out by an independent appraiser. Based on positive customer feedback, we happily recommend Dave Atlas, www.gemappraisers.com and Bill Lieberum (consumers gem laboratory), www.diamondclearinghouse.com A number of dealers will send their diamonds to one of these fine appraisers before you even pay for the diamond. With other dealers, you will have to pay for the diamond before it is shipped to Dave or Bill and have them evaluate your purchase before the return date stated in the dealer's return policy.
There may be other great appraisers around. Dave and Bill are excellent because they do not sell diamonds to consumers, and so they are truly independent. Unfortunately, some jewelers who offer to do appraisals will say negative things about the stone you purchased in order to try to sell you a diamond.I hope this helps and good luck!
smile.gif
lawmax

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think most on line diamond sellers, those in the jewelry business, not independent sellers on some auction sites, are legitimate. Simply by comparing the grades, documnetation, shapes and weights of the diamonds offered you can go a long way in determining the fairness of their individual pricing strategies.Really, on the 'net, it isn't the seller, its the stone. Very little personality comes into the equation. If someone has had a real problem with an internet jeweler, please begin a new topic that can be archived, reviewed and added to by all concerned. Fortunately, I believe the list would be short.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
heel2005,You may want to contact Dave or Bill prior to your purchase for guidance on which available diamonds would best suit your taste/needs. The appraiser will not only appraise the value of your diamond, he can tell you how well the diamond performs, if it matches the lab certificate, if there are any problems with the diamond like dangerous cleavages, etc. This is a good reason to contact the appraiser before making your purchase. He will guide you in your choice.It would probably be best to start shopping right away-prices are going up and there is high demand for diamonds this time of year. You will have more selection if you shop earlier. You need time for the appraiser to do his job. If it turns out that there is a problem with your first choice, you will want time to choose another diamond.If you choose to have your diamond set locally, the appraiser can probably send the diamond directly to you upon word from the dealer that he has received your payment. Remember, not all of the dealers will agree to send the diamond to the appraiser before you pay. I believe Bill has a list of dealers on his site who have agreed to send diamonds to him. You can call Dave to check with him. Most of those we have recommended are probably on that list. Try to find a dealer who will set your diamond while you watch. I'm sure that most all jewelers are reputable, but some people do worry about jewelers switching diamonds. Gemprint will help and you may get an insurance discount for it, but you'll need a local jeweler with a gemprint machine. See Bill's site for information on this. You can get to know your own diamond's inclusions with a loupe/microscope and always make sure the diamond you get back from the jeweler matches the plot on your lab certificate. Also, many diamonds sold these days come with their certificate number/brand number engraved on the girdle.The nice thing about having a diamond set locally is that you will have a local jeweler to go to for cleanings, maintenance, etc. Insurance-Chubb has a great Agreed Value policy it offers. Although some of the insurance agents for Chubb don't realize it, Chubb will now insure jewelry without a minimum amount of coverage needed and without the customer having other policies with them. Chubb is easy to deal with and, if you have a claim, they give you the cash value of your policy. They can be somewhat more expensive than going with a rider on your homeowner's policy or jeweler's mutual, but actually, where I live, they were cheaper.Your homeowner's (or renter's) insurance company (you'll need a rider or your jewelry is probably only insured up to $1000) and jeweler's mutual insurance (through a local jeweler) offer replacement value insurance. In other words, in the event of a loss, they will most likely replace your diamond/ring with what they believe is a comparable one. Not your choice.Good luck!
smile.gif
lawmax

heel2005

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. This is very helpful. I have a lot to learn before making this large purchase. I was skeptical before but knowing there are independent appraisers and reputable dealers on-line makes me consider this more seriously.I am interested in purchasing a diamond for around $10K. I would like 1.5 carats and am interested in knowing which of the "C's" drive up the price the most with the least impact in terms of how it looks to the naked eye.Any help is appreciated.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Heel2005,
I would like 1.5 carats and am interested in knowing which of the "C's" drive up the price the most with the least impact in terms of how it looks to the naked eye.
You can find a some answers on this site: https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_summary.asp and https://www.pricescope.com/repscope.asp Cut has the most impact on the visual appearance - heavier (and more expensive) diamond can look worse and smaller if cut badly. However it is not neccessary must be an AGS-ideal or *Hearts and Arrows* cut for diamond to look great.You won't see effect of clarity with the naked eye from SI1-2 and high. Color - depends on the setting (metal color). Some people might prefer a bit warmer colors like I-J.The best thing though is to try to see as many diamonds of different grades as possible and find out what are your preferences.

heel2005

Rough_Rock
Wow. This is fantastic information.Thank you!

heel2005

Rough_Rock
I have sent emails with questions to most of the vendors mentioned. Most have responded but others have not. Is it due to volume this time of year or they do not like questions?Thanks!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,It is a busy time of year, but I can't speak for the dealers. Sorry...lawmax

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
StevL, no problem. Of course we know you. Thank you for understanding

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Heel2005,
I have a 1.57 carat coming that may be of interest to you. This diamond is priced lower than any matching diamond on pricescope. If your interested, please give me a call at (803) 772-2095.To all users on this board,
My email server is down again or I would contact him VIA email. I do not like advertising product on forum threads (and those that know me, know I don't), and do not wish for this one post to be a problem.
Thanks,
Steve

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
jgcampbell,I don't have any first hand experience with Mervis. A friend of mine shopped there and thought their prices were very high, probably due to all of their advertising.Apparently, they pulled out a Rap sheet and showed her that they sell for the Rap price. Most diamonds cost dealers a lot less than the Rap price (except for some superideal cuts); each dealer, based on choice, overhead, etc. adds his/her own markup. You have to decide what is worth it to you. The services of a local jeweler are nice-you have to determine how you want to spend your money.Diamondmanbob who posts here said that Mr. Root of Root Jewelers is an excellent gemologist in your area.lawmax

jgcampbell

Rough_Rock
Has anyone had experience with Mervis Diamond Importers in the Washington D.C. area? I would appreciate any comments on value, reputability, and service. Also, are there any recommendations for dealers on this area?
Thanks much.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ideal Cut
smile.gif
Thanks, nice site. Difficult to say about diamond prices - they don't sell loose and their engagement ring prices not higher than $500.I checked watches though - definitely cheaper than Ashford or Diamond.com!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results