shape
carat
color
clarity

Repurposing clasp diamonds?

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! I am thinking about repurposing diamonds from an old pearl necklace clasp into either dangle earrings or cluster necklace. The stones (8 mini and 9 small) are not big. Any idea what cut these diamonds are? I am also curious if this is not worth the effort and I should just keep the clasp the way it is.. Would love to hear your ideas! 8C8C572B-512B-4DB5-ADEB-9C290E5FEEFF.jpeg
37071BF9-00CB-4544-9DCD-CBA2B4044CEB.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would leave it alone. I dont think its going to be cost effective. Some look like single cuts and I see a big culet on one that makes me think it
is old mine cut.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! The pearls look nearly too good to be natural, are they?

I'd be loath to destroy the clasp.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pendant, bracelet...ring?
Seems that pendant would be the easiest.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
labor costs would probably exceed the value of the stones + the high probabilty of damaging them in the process = not a good plan.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Besides the good advice above, it's really beautiful so I'd leave it as it ... especially if you can still wear it.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Besides the good advice above, it's really beautiful so I'd leave it as it ... especially if you can still wear it.

This!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the clasp is gorgeous! Would you wear it as-is as a pendant or bracelet or ring? It could easily be converted to any of those.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make it into a pendant!
Super easy, you could do it yourself.

However, I would then put a Sterling clasp back on the pearls, so they could still be worn.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Maybe have two additional loops added to each end, for a total of three loops, and wear it as a three-strand bracelet (of pearls, polished stones, whatever you like?)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG ! I love those pearls :appl:
They remind me of my grandmothers
Do you wear them ?
The clasp is beautiful, if you don't wear the pearls but would the flask if it was repurposed into a pendant then fire away.
But replace the clasp on the pearls just in case you want to take them out for a spin

When you have time do you mind measuring the pearls and telling me the size please

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make it into a pendant!
Super easy, you could do it yourself.

However, I would then put a Sterling clasp back on the pearls, so they could still be worn.

+1 :clap:

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, love that clasp. I find it so elegant, especially with those tiny pearls.

Before you break it, consider selling it or trading it. As for me, I would have traded you a pair of my earrings in a blink of an eye for this necklace, lol

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Trade is a great idea - someone started a thread on it - if people have bling without strong sentimental attachment, why not?

Q

Queenie60

Good advise from all. I would suggest you leave it as is and possibly convert it into a pendant.

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
4E736CDD-42A4-4434-A348-C3FABAB7A767.jpeg

OK I think you all convinced me to not do it. I do love the necklace! It is 18” long. It is an heirloom piece that is about 100 years old. I will get it restrung because the tension seems a bit off. I was told these are natural pearls but need to get it examined. Has anyone tried Pearl & Clasp in NYC? Seems like they do restringing and appraisals.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What an exquisite heirloom! I'm so glad you're keeping it together with its original clasp.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful! I've always loved the graduated look. I'm really glad you decided to leave it as is.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for not taking that heirloom apart. It’s lovely and has so much history. And this is coming from someone who is hunting for old jewelry with great stones to repurpose the stones. But I’m trying to find things that don’t deserve to live.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I was told these are natural pearls but need to get it examined.

They look the part to me [rough guess by the variations of shapes] & the strand is very nice, the clasp is simply appropriate for the quality of the pearls.

If they seem too small - and 'small' is something else for natural pearls, they could become the mother of all Pearls by the Yard necklaces, give or take a few small diamonds & keeping the clasp [thinking out loud.]

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is wonderful news !:appl:
Once its restrung you have to wear it !
Its a beautuful strand :kiss2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definately keep as is. Buy a white gold chain (Belcher style looks good) and set the clasp into the centre of the chain.
Minimal outlay for maximum impact.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results