shape
carat
color
clarity

Remembering 9-11...

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Sweet Jesus, this breaks my heart all over again. Is anybody else watching this?
ETA- It's actually called "Inside 9-11"

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
we have been/are DVRing all of those shows and today we watched 3 of them.... cried my eyes out for 3 hours. I think it's so upsetting to me/people where I grew up since we have friends and highschool peers who lost parents in the WTC. Makes me think- if my hubby was 10 years older he could have worked there...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope they are on later tonight so I can record them. I know I'll cry me eyes out watching them.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
On one hand, I want to see these specials because I think it's important to remember and to also pay tribute. But, it's just so hard to watch. I can't believe it's been 10 years.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
The National Geographic channel has a very long and detailed program, and that was what I was watching last night. My infant son was sitting on my lap "watching" tv too. I had to turn him away... Even though he has no idea what he's seeing, I don't want his soul to be burdened with such images quite yet.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Sept issues of a few magazines, Glamour and marie claire among them, had this section of letters to the victims from their families. It wasn't large but it was still very hard to read.

I was in Pittsburgh that day. I remember my ex and I were on the way to the bank and were listening to Howard Stern and we thought it was a comedy bit, then we got to the bank and that's when the Pentagon was hit, my dad's department, in fact. I remember calling him in a panic, and my mom in a panic, because he was supposed to be there that whole week for meetings. I had an epic meltdown in the middle of National City in Cranberry Twp in fact. I finally got hold of my mom, who told me that luckily he and his bosses were in St. Louis. Because he was the director of defense finance at the time, he and his superiors were shuttled like 10 floors underground to the "bunker" command center, because at the time they had no rael idea what these people were after. He lost a ton of coworkers, and two of his best friends ever. He and his superiors drove back to DC to do all they could, and he drove himself back home after the funeral services. He was kind of a zombie for a while. His little golf-ball collection in the basement hasn't grown a lot since, since he and these guys collected them from all over. Their little funeral prayer card things are propped up on top of the ball case.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'm afraid I"m down to 0 tv, as I just watch instant netflix b/c 80% of the time that I can settle down to watch anything, it's after my grandfather has gone to bed... in our sitting room. THUS no tv. Do you know if this is available online to watch/catch up on?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just happened to be watching the morning news that day, Bryant Gumbel in fact. I was going in a bit late so I could catch an earlybird sale (seems so frivolous in retrospect huh?) and watched the whole Twin Tower thing unfold in real-time. I went to the sale, (just a block or two from my house - I think I was just in a daze honestly), and saw all the happy people there, still as yet unaware of what had just happened moments before, and it was like a bad dream. Even more so, because I was only 8 blocks from the Murrah Building when it was bombed. While we didn't have it on that scale - which of course utterly dwarfed our own - there is no real comparison, but still, I think people in Oklahoma probably felt kinda PTSD-ish more than anyone not directly involved. The first thought through my mind after, "There is NO WAY a plane would be allowed that close to a building in NYC", was the though, "OMG, please NOT again!" And of course it just got worse to hear of the firefighters and rescue guys, because believe me when I say that Oklahomans will always hold the NYC Firefighters in THE highest regard possible.

They closed where I work that day, and my mom came over and we just sat on my front porch and leaned against one another and thought maybe the world was going mad or coming to an end...or something.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best, and last 9-11 documentary I watched was "102 Minutes That Changed America". It was done in "real time" with no narrator. It is shocking, but extremely well done. Having said that, I won't be watching any other tribute or show about 9-11 ever again. It was such a traumatic day in our family, and I don't want to rehash it all on every anniversary.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
ame|1314637533|3004576 said:
The Sept issues of a few magazines, Glamour and marie claire among them, had this section of letters to the victims from their families. It wasn't large but it was still very hard to read.

I was in Pittsburgh that day. I remember my ex and I were on the way to the bank and were listening to Howard Stern and we thought it was a comedy bit, then we got to the bank and that's when the Pentagon was hit, my dad's department, in fact. I remember calling him in a panic, and my mom in a panic, because he was supposed to be there that whole week for meetings. I had an epic meltdown in the middle of National City in Cranberry Twp in fact. I finally got hold of my mom, who told me that luckily he and his bosses were in St. Louis. Because he was the director of defense finance at the time, he and his superiors were shuttled like 10 floors underground to the "bunker" command center, because at the time they had no rael idea what these people were after. He lost a ton of coworkers, and two of his best friends ever. He and his superiors drove back to DC to do all they could, and he drove himself back home after the funeral services. He was kind of a zombie for a while. His little golf-ball collection in the basement hasn't grown a lot since, since he and these guys collected them from all over. Their little funeral prayer card things are propped up on top of the ball case.

I also listen to Stern- He replays the 9-11 tapes every year, and it still blows my mind to hear the chaos and confusion!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my other forums pulls up all posts from that day every year also. It's so unreal to reread that.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
ame|1314664534|3004955 said:
One of my other forums pulls up all posts from that day every year also. It's so unreal to reread that.

Wow - how powerful! Was PS around then?!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was in its infancy, most likely.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We watch shows/tributes every year they're on. It always feels like it just happened. We just watched George Bush's interview on...the National Geographic channel maybe...the other day, and we'll watch other shows as they're aired most likely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results