shape
carat
color
clarity

Remember those tank-like IBM keyboards of the 1980s?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many folks miss them.
They dislike today's cheaply-made, mushy keyboards with inferior tactile feel, and little audible feedback.

8.png

Originals had that satisfying click and tactile feel, which was painstakingly designed to emulate the experience of typing on an IBM Selectric, the typewriter with that ball of letters that moved fast.

LFigmf.gif

The original IBM PC keyboards model F was made to last decades, not years.
It was solid and contained five pounds of metal.
IBM stopped making them, but keyboard aficionados today hunt for the vintage ones to restore them.

Now they're back, sort of ... if you can afford one ... not from IBM, but from these folks:

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss the sound of keyboard bashing when one typing in anger.

The new keyboards don't make such a sound.

DK :lol-2:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a couple of different mechanical keyboard choices at work. They’re great! Not the big heavy IBM ones but their feedback and tactile feeling is really good.
The wired ones are hella noisy tho.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't watch this unless you a super duper hopeless geek.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I still use a model M and have a bunch of them around just not on my main computer anymore.
I think I may have a model F someplace unless it got lost.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still have the Adler J5 manual typewriter that was my h.s. graduation present! :mrgreen2:
It has a lovely feel.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved my clicky old keyboard :kiss2:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Many folks miss them.
They dislike today's cheaply-made, mushy keyboards with inferior tactile feel, and little audible feedback.

Eh.

Today's market is flooded with mechanical keyboards with blue switches which are sifficiently tactile and definitely very loud.

Trying to find a low profile silent keyboard on the other hand... now that's a challenge. I finally found one which was supposed to be quieter than other standard keyboards and... well, it could be worse, but it could be better as well. Right now, I miss my laptop.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 in service, 2 in backup.

Gamers love the old clicky boards because they're very tactile. They also have fantastic feedback and are pretty hard to kill. currently the prices are through the roof on the old IBM Model M's. it didn't used to be that way.

I love them because I kill everything else! The loudness doesn't bother me. I learned on a much louder keyboard manual typewriter:lol:

However, connecting to windows can be a big PITA (I manage to get around it with a mini din to USB connector so I don't have to rewire anything)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Eh.

Today's market is flooded with mechanical keyboards with blue switches which are sifficiently tactile and definitely very loud.

Trying to find a low profile silent keyboard on the other hand... now that's a challenge. I finally found one which was supposed to be quieter than other standard keyboards and... well, it could be worse, but it could be better as well. Right now, I miss my laptop.
Search amazon for a chiclet keyboard and ignore the sponsered items and you will find dozens of models of low profile quiet keyboards.

Last edited:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
“Computer says ‘no’.”

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The advantage of the model M and F is that if needed they make good self defense weapons.
You smack someone on the head with one they are not getting up soon.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my favorite ASMR sounds is keyboard tapping. :kiss2: I never could remain alert in an office job because the entire setup with clicking and tapping and paper rifling just put me to sleep. No joke.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results