shape
carat
color
clarity

Relocating your collection

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So in the spirit of Xrisus's thread, who will be leaving apart of their collection, there's some of us that have to do the unthinkable and actually relocate, and leaving it behind isn't an option.

Its not just for me, but for anyone doing this. Please chime in!

Anyone thats done it, your experience is GOLD! Even better with a semi large collection. I don't have a large collection, just 3 boxes. Even if you haven't yet done it yourself but want to add in any info or services that people have used with success, share that too.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've never done it and I don't even begin to have a semi large collection but if I ever did, I think I'd have the cases in a big weekend bag that would double up as my handbag. If anyone asked about them I'd call them 'mineral specimens'.

OR maybe I'd split them all up. Put the cheaper ones in the suitcase and every other bag. Just divide them all between the bags and keep the most precious/most expensive ones in my hand bag.

I don't know :confused:

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
In moving from California to Washington, I made the choice to keep them on my person at all times. Anywhere I went, they went too. In the event that they were not with me physically, they were locked in the trunk of my car in a discreet boring brown cardboard moving box, and the car was within my line of sight. Stressful, but not horrible.

When I moved from New Mexico to California they went with my husband in the same manner, as I was flying with my (at the time) infant daughter and couldn't lug her, her stuff and a cardboard box. I was reunited with them 14 hours after leaving them in his hands.

Not for the faint at heart, that's for sure!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I moved, the stones came with me, in the car. I put them in a normal sports bag, nothing showy. It was a two day drive. It went up to the hotel room with me, along with my over night things. At other times, it stayed with the car, along with the other suitcases and bags, and we kept an eye constantly on the car during stops (pretty easy, we would alternate going to the restroom or by the door or outside). Carrying it constantly by your side screams "valuables" to anyone with bad intentions, so we made sure to treat it just like everything else.

In the international moves, same thing. Valuables in my large handbag, placed at my feet in the airplane. Not so valuables, in the carry-on in the bin, in an inaccessible pocket. If airport security had asked to open my bags, I would ask for a private room but it wasn't necessary.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We moved across the country twice, and both times I put my jewelry box in a carry-on suitcase so it could be with me at all times. I just couldn't handle the thought of everything (even though my collection is much smaller than most) potentially being lost or stolen, etc. It was a huge pain and my DH was irritated that it means checking more bags since the carryon was mostly used,but he understood in the end :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Elle. :errrr: :errrr: I already have precious cargo (the work machine) which goes where I go. I can't even imagine adding a child to that mix. Kudos to parents, I'd be bonkers!

The issue I'm having is that I'll be driving, for 3 days. I'll have the dog with me (she's a sweet girl and not a bother at all, she loves rides!!) But I will have the dreaded work machine with me which both have to go into the hotel every night.

The only place I can think of is using the floorboard hidey holes in my car. I have 2 of them I'll have to do a dry run to see how much stuff fits. That way I pile all the rest of the crap (including the dog...lol) on top. Let s hope I don't forget about them and they're in there for the next 2-3 months...lol

I just wish there were easier options.

The other thing is insurance. Would home insurance cover this type of move? we've got so much damn home insurance at this point its not even funny. Maybe I should contact them to find out.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Arcadian|1464123724|4035900 said:
OMG Elle. :errrr: :errrr: I already have precious cargo (the work machine) which goes where I go. I can't even imagine adding a child to that mix. Kudos to parents, I'd be bonkers!

The issue I'm having is that I'll be driving, for 3 days. I'll have the dog with me (she's a sweet girl and not a bother at all, she loves rides!!) But I will have the dreaded work machine with me which both have to go into the hotel every night.

The only place I can think of is using the floorboard hidey holes in my car. I have 2 of them I'll have to do a dry run to see how much stuff fits. That way I pile all the rest of the crap (including the dog...lol) on top. Let s hope I don't forget about them and they're in there for the next 2-3 months...lol

I just wish there were easier options.

The other thing is insurance. Would home insurance cover this type of move? we've got so much damn home insurance at this point its not even funny. Maybe I should contact them to find out.
Ah, it was not a lot of fun.

The drive from Cali to WA was interesting - drove one day to NorCal, stayed 2 nights with family (who live on a farm, with lots of animals, and it's gated with guard/herding dogs), drove to Southern Oregon, stayed 2 nights with more family (also live on a farm, this one being less secure, but more remote) and then the last night we went to Portland, and EVERYTHING came into the hotel room with us. Which was horrible.

I think Beatriz has the right idea - make sure whatever you put it in doesn't attract any attention for being special in any sort of way. Luckily gems and jewelry are small, so they are easy to stash in smaller places. You could buy a bunch of small plastic baggies and then they really wouldn't take up any room, and just carry a larger purse?

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure everyone knows to do this, but here is a reminder: When you pass your gems through the various security checkpoints at the airport, don't let yourself get distracted even for a second. I lost a parcel of emeralds leaving Colombia. I won't travel with gems like that again unless my husband or other flight companion is helping with the vigilance. Funny I forgot all about that story until I saw this thread. Now I'm mourning for those emeralds :(

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have transported small quantities of gems. They are nestled in cotton, then placed into the little plastic baggies. All the little baggies are put together into a larger plastic baggie for security and they take up less space than all those boxes. This bag (which all you see now is white cotton, so people cannot see what's inside) is always on my person at all times. I usually carry a messenger bag, so it goes into one of the inner most zipped compartments.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You might want to think about using Gem Papers, rather than the typical round or square gem jars. The papers take up way less space.
A small box like this will hold 100 stones. Pretty much everyone in the trade uses gem papers.

_3813.jpeg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sungura OMG! I would be sick! I feel so terrible for you! :( I am so scared of losing anything. Its so easy when you have all these moving pieces happening all at once.

Gene, where can I find something like that? I honestly hate to think how much time it would take to remove everything from its little box to paper but hmmm maybe worth it?

How about using itty bitty baggies? I'm getting up there in age where I'd slip up and forget what the heck was what...lol with the baggies I can write on them.

BTW I did a dry run of the cubbies and well.... it was a bit laughable.

On another note, the other half wants to figure out how to take at least one of the giant aloes (both are in 54 inch pots, so ridiculously big!!) and asked me if it would survive in a moving truck...like I know this stuff... :rolleyes:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the gem papers. Though I imagine it doesn't work as well for the jewelry aspect.
I feel like I'd be tempted to carry all the things I could on my person. Or at least the most expensive or impossible to replace portions.

My mom back in the communist revolution days literally sowed money and valuables into her clothes! I don't think the TsA would approve though lol.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can note down the content of the gem paper by writing on the outside.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I love that gem papers and case idea!!! Please let us know where we can get something like that from, I'd happily store my loose stones at home like that. I only have a handful now but... you know..One day I'll have 100 loose gemstones :o :D :appl:

Can you use any type of softish paper (maybe tissue paper)? From the 1 pic it looks like the craft paper my toddler plays with :eh:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As the post above pointed out, you can get them any number of places. I think I bought mine from Riogrande. They are very inexpensive. The papers come already folded and creased. Simply write on them what the stone is, weight etc. I think they are the most compact organized way to store gems.
I never liked those round plastic gem jars, as the tops tend to fall off easily once they have been used a bit, and they scratch up. The plastic square jars with glass are a better, but more expensive option. But these will take up much more space than gem papers.
With gem papers, you will look like a pro too!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently learned the hard way to add little piece of tape because of lids coming off the plastic gem jars but I also like having my gems in plain view as I often take them out to try out different combinations when contemplating my next project. I have a few with glass lids..I'm always afraid they might scratch the stone when screwing the lid on (I guess that's not an issue?).

Not good for relocation but I keep my jewelry stuff in plastic photo boxes. I have one for ring settings (in little baggies), one for larger stones and one with melee. The stones are in gem jars or plastic baggies. Obviously, I don't have a collection large enough where space is an issue. When I go visit my jeweler or a gem show, I put what I want to work with in one of these boxes which can fit in my pocket book. (I also use these types of boxes to store my beading projects because they are the perfect size to hold most of them.)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91PGFFDoX2L._SL1500_.jpg

Sorry - off topic from relocation - my only advice is to keep your jewelry out of extreme heat. I remember driving from Arizona to Texas as a kid and all of my mom's higher karat pieces had lost their shape...of course, that may have been the days when you drove with luggage on a roof rack (yes, I am old :lol: )

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
My service was good ol' Mom and Dad.
I've found tackle boxes to be great for moving and hiding jewelry. They come in all shapes and sizes and blend in with all the other junk in a closet or basement.
When my ex-husband and I built our second house we had to spend about eight months in a cramped apartment. I just didn't have the energy to try to keep track of my jewelry or worry about having it stolen. I only kept items that had no sentimental value or could easily be replaced. My parents visited us about three months before we moved and took the tackle boxes back home with them. When they came back a year later to see the new house, viola, all my stuff back.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have never thought about a tackle box! thats pretty cool!

And Lady_Distain, thanks for the links to that stuff. :wavey: :appl:

I have lots of stuff in round and square boxes, some of its melee sized gems when I a bit scared of removing from those boxes!! :shock:

This is why I love this community because these are suggestions anyone can use! Please keep them coming! :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used a tackle box to keep my small electronic parts like fuses, chips, resistors, and etc. :cheeky:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lilmosun|1464214516|4036270 said:
Sorry - off topic from relocation - my only advice is to keep your jewelry out of extreme heat. I remember driving from Arizona to Texas as a kid and all of my mom's higher karat pieces had lost their shape...of course, that may have been the days when you drove with luggage on a roof rack (yes, I am old :lol: )

That couldn't have been the heat. Most likely, someone placed something big and heavy on top of it.

24k gold melts at over 1000C and it would only slump quite near that. The clothes and papers would have combusted long before.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results