shape
carat
color
clarity

Regretting dress decision. Should I buy a second one as insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CarrieAubrey

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone! I am having major dress anxiety. I purchased a slip/sheath type dress at the end of January and it is currently being made and will be at the dress shop at the end of May.

The past couple months though, I have been regretting my dress choice. (See attachment.) When I chose that dress I liked it because it wasn''t too pouffy or princessy. I still don''t want a dress that is too over the top, but I do want something "fancier" now. The dress I bought is a destination label dress - Winnie Couture Destination (style Vienna). My wedding is an evening wedding at the Space Needle and I feel like my dress should be more than what it is.

I started looking at trying to buy a second "cheap" dress as a back up a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I found this mermaid illusion tulle halter gown at David''s Bridal http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49995498&currentIdx=31&subCategory=-49999486%7C-49995498&catentryId=6092778 It is on sale for $500, but that is still a lot of money.

Any thoughts or advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. What dress do you prefer? I am embarassed that this is causing me so much stress, but it really is!

small pic of dress.JPG

tlh

Ideal_Rock
OMG I see what you mean, that linky dress is PHENOM! I like them both in different ways.. but the detail on the linky dress is really AWESOME. The dress you have is beautiful but MUCH simpler with smooth lines. So it really depends on what you are thinking about. It is natural to doubt your dress choice as you get closer to the date.
I know I did., and that is natural.

Think back to before the craziness... what kind of dress did you envision... pick the one that is closer to that image.

Best wishes!
35.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Carrie!! The dress from David''s is gorgeous!!
30.gif

First off, I used to be a manager for one of the Winnie Couture flagship stores... Did you order it at a flagship store, and are they "custom" making it to your measurements? How much did you pay for the Vienna? If you don''t mind me asking, did you get a good deal on the Vienna, or would you be out alot of money if you decided not to wear it?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Simple doesn''t mean not fancy enough. It just means less embellished.

For what its worth, I like your dress better.

Its also a negative that you can''t try the dress on because its only available online...

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 2:33:42 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Simple doesn''t mean not fancy enough. It just means less embellished.

Its also a negative that you can''t try the dress on because its only available online...
That is what I was meaning to say, and as always freke says it better!

CarrieAubrey

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the responses!

tlh: I did always envision a simpler dress. My inspiration was the dress Caroline Bissette Kennedy wore when she married JFK Jr. It has only been the past few months (basically after I purchased the dress) that I have grown to like the mermaid dresses with more details.

meresal: I ordered it at a bridal salon that carries many different designer gowns. I ordered a size 10, and I will need to take it in on certain areas, so it is not "custom." I paid $1,300 for the dress, so it is not super expensive, but definitely not cheap!

Thank for the compliment FrekeChild. Yes, that is a negative, but returns are an option with the online ordering.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I like the second dress. It''s more formal and fun. Maybe I''ve seen too many prom dresses lately but your sheath dress has that look to it although it''s very becoming on you. Just depends on the "look" you are going for.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you didn't get it from a flagship store.
36.gif
I won't get into my reasoning... The wholesale business that they run thru other private salons is completely different than their personal retail business.

However, what does $500 for another dress mean to YOUR overall budget. $500 to you, may bot be as big of a deal as $500 to someone else. If it isn't a huge deal to you, and returning the David's dress is an option, then I would just order it, to at least appease your mind if you decide you don't like it.

Have you gone back to the salon at all to see yourself in the WC dress again? If you have, and you're still having these feelings, then I think you should at least order the one online to see yourself in it.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
I like your dress MUCH BETTER! If you originally envisioned Caroline Bissett Kennedy''s wedding dress, you''ve come pretty darn close. Very elegant!

The David''s Bridal dress is pretty, but honestly, the applique is doing nothing for me (that''s just me though).

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Girl, I feel your pain. I''m in the EXACT predicament. Both dresses are lovely. When''s your wedding? Would you have enough time to get something else after your current dress comes in?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I also prefer a simpler style, and I think your dress is fab! The one from David's is pretty too, but yours is just classic goddess-like beauty to me. If you're looking for embellishment, you could bling it up with some accessories, like a sparkly necklace, bracelet, perhaps a headpiece (like a headband or Swarovski crytal embellished veil), and of course some fabulous shoes. Could you put a brooch on the sash-y thing at the waist?

If you've found that you just don't like your dress anymore, by all means get the one you feel would be more "you." But if it's embellishments you're looking for, you may not have to go for a whole new dress.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I like your dress better. :)

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
CarrieAubrey:

I think yours is beautiful. You came really close to your inspiration (pic below for reference!). This photo is one of my all time faves.

I can see, however, how you might like the embellishment of dress #2. How about, leave Dress #1 as is. And have a seamstress make up an overlay type thing out of some fancy sheer fabric. Maybe almost like a flowy bolero or even a full length overlay? (sorry, I think like a clothing designer because I sew!).

LS

ETA: now that I look at the Caroline Bissett pic, I see she has a very flowy veil.....maybe something with the veil would make you feel 'embellished' enough.And don't forget, you don't have your flowers or your jewellry on!

Foo194.jpg

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer your current gown (the Winnie Couture) but that''s because my tastes tend towards the less embellished. The Caroline Bisset Kennedy dress is so classic, and you can''t possibly go wrong with a similar gown, as the Winnie is.

Here''s one question for you as you contemplate getting the David''s gown. Are you someone who is a stickler for nice fabric? I ask because it says the David''s dress is polyester where your Winnie gown is a silk charmeuse. I''d prefer to wear silk charmeuse (and I think it would just look like a higher quality dress), but if nicer fabric doesn''t matter to you, then just ignore me!
4.gif

PrincessMiaPuff

Shiny_Rock
I love your current dress. I am currently going through the same thing but I have come to the conclusion that you add always add fabulous jewelry, shoes & a nicer veil. These will bring your total look up to par. But the dress itself is very beautiful and looks like couture.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I also prefer the dress you already bought. They are both beautiful, but I think I''m drawn more to the simplicity of the original dress.

No matter which you choose, you''re going to look gorgeous.
1.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Your first dress is beautiful... But that one from David''s is G
30.gif
RGEOUS!!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Is there a return policy on the David's dress? If so, I would order it and compare the two. Otherwise you'll always be wondering!

FWIW, I love both, but the david's a teensy bit more as I love lace and sparkles!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think that you should stick with the original dress and see what you can do with embellishments and/or accessories. It is pretty and elegant and simple, and it looks beautiful on you, and I think if you first impulse was to go simple and elegant, you should stick with that
1.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 2:36:36 PM
Author: CarrieAubrey

tlh: I did always envision a simpler dress. My inspiration was the dress Caroline Bissette Kennedy wore when she married JFK Jr. It has only been the past few months (basically after I purchased the dress) that I have grown to like the mermaid dresses with more details.

meresal: I ordered it at a bridal salon that carries many different designer gowns. I ordered a size 10, and I will need to take it in on certain areas, so it is not 'custom.' I paid $1,300 for the dress, so it is not super expensive, but definitely not cheap!

Thank for the compliment FrekeChild. Yes, that is a negative, but returns are an option with the online ordering.
The dress you HAVE is definately in line w/ Caroline's.... and I WOULD NOT CHANGE YOUR DRESS... I think you'll be unhappy if you do. The only thing that could make it more like Caroline's is shortening your train... but the body of the dress is amazing (ie doesn't need any embellisments etc.), and you look fantastic in it. You are going through the freakout stage. This is common. I went through it too.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 2:33:42 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Simple doesn't mean not fancy enough. It just means less embellished.

Its also a negative that you can't try the dress on because its only available online...
ditto! I like the first one better too!
eta as thl has said, you are already so close with your current dress!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 6:09:33 PM
Author: tlh

Date: 4/3/2009 2:36:36 PM
Author: CarrieAubrey

meresal: I ordered it at a bridal salon that carries many different designer gowns. I ordered a size 10, and I will need to take it in on certain areas, so it is not ''custom.'' I paid $1,300 for the dress, so it is not super expensive, but definitely not cheap!

The dress you HAVE is definately in line w/ Caroline''s.... and I WOULD NOT CHANGE YOUR DRESS... I think you''ll be unhappy if you do. The only thing that could make it more like Caroline''s is shortening your train... but the body of the dress is amazing (ie doesn''t need any embellisments etc.), and you look fantastic in it. You are going through the freakout stage. This is common. I went through it too.
Ditto this and Freke, your current dress is what you imagined. I would go with that. The second dress may just be a passing phase. I honestly love your dress, it''s classy and sexy and elegant, you look fabulous.

Only you can make this decision. You will know in your heart.

akroller

Rough_Rock
I also like both of them... It is hard to tell with the David''s bridal one what the fit would be like.. I also think that while it is lovely, it looks somewhat nightgown-y. Your dress is da bomb! I think it is totally 1940''s looking. Maybe a wow factor crystal pin in your hair or a broach somewhere on the dress will bring out the old hollywood vibe a bit more and make you feel more glam in it! I think the fit is lovely on you...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You looks absolutely GORGEOUS in the 1st dress you choose!

dboatsupreme

Rough_Rock
I agree with akroller on that David''s bridal dress being a little nightgown-y. Both are beautiful gowns, but I think I prefer your dress for the simple and elegant look. You look gorgeous in it!! :)

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 3:26:00 PM
Author: LostSapphire
I can see, however, how you might like the embellishment of dress #2. How about, leave Dress #1 as is. And have a seamstress make up an overlay type thing out of some fancy sheer fabric. Maybe almost like a flowy bolero or even a full length overlay? (sorry, I think like a clothing designer because I sew!).

I think LostSapphire has a fantastic idea, and it would probably cost less than the David''s Bridal dress. I tend to like lace and sparkles, but I actually think simple dresses are often more formal than embellished ones. The David''s dress is certainly glitzier and has a more "fun" vibe, but the dress you have is elegant and plenty formal. If you embellish elsewhere (whether it''s with an overlay/bolero, jewelry, veil, etc) you have the best of both worlds -- the beautiful fabric and classic style of your dress, and the ability to embellish (or not) as much as you like.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like them both a lot. There are ways to "fancy" it up, like mentioned before, w/an embroidered veil etc. I think a long flowy veil w/that pretty embroidery would be really lovely! That being said, I don''t think there''s any harm in ordering the other dress, to see what it looks like on you! You don''t want to be walking down the aisle wishing you were wearing something different. At least if you get the other and try it on, you''ll know one way or t''other! I ended up w/2 dresses as well, b/c the alterations on my first dress were not working out, and I ended up w/a very simple dress as opposed to the more fancy embroidered dress I''d originally chosen.

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
i too like your current dress more.
if you want more of a statement, i think you should spend a few hundred on really special accessories (maybe a blingy cuff bracelet or a beautiful hair clip?).

:)

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I wound up buying four gowns because I kept changing my mind...until I found THE one! It is very different from what I first fell in love with.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I like your current dress. It''s perfectly classy and I agree with the point about the material being better. Your figure is TDF in it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results