shape
carat
color
clarity

Registry Musts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
We will have a limited registry as frankly, we need the cash more and we also have a tiny apt. But we will have some essentials that we need and would really appreciate like everyday china, flatware, some wine glasses and essential cookware.

What other items do you consider registry musts for a nice functional home?

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
What do you have now? Do you need bed/bath linens?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
we have everything, but all of just semi-OK qualilty. we can make do with our towels and can probably buy that stuff, but linens is a good idea. I guess I''m looking at the registry as an opportunity to upgrade items that we probably would be too practical to buy ourselves, but could really use. (We can''t use cheap plates forever!)

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe kitchen appliances that you don''t have like mixers/crockpot, new pans, food processor, etc?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second the linens. And I would include one ''splurge'' item. Something that will last you and that you both want. Some people prefer giving gifts to money (and vice versa) and one really nice item on a registry, IMO, is nice. For us it was a very expensive vase... but for other''s it''s a kitchen aid mixer... etc. It''s not vital... but its a really nice treat you didn''t pay for yourselves.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
we had nearly everything we needed as well. so, we upgraded. we got dishes & stemware & linens & pots & cutlery. oh, and our dyson. yea! for an upgraded vacuum. the drawback for us was that linens, pots, cutlery, and the vacuum were on the expensive side. but, lots of people gave us giftcards so we used them on those items.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Register for a really good set of Knives and high thread count sheets.----oh yeah a skillet too
emlove.gif
(can''t live without it). Everything else if great to get, but those are the gifts i use the most.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, we basically upgraded. Definitely a good set of pots and pans (we got All Clad and threw out all of our old stuff!), nice knives, good wine glasses (Riedel), Kitchenaid mixer. Pick quality things that will last you a lifetime and get rid of all your "not top of the line" stuff. You don't have to go overboard but register for the things that you know you'll use.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 1:50:31 PM
Author: NYCsparkle
Register for a really good set of Knives and high thread count sheets.----oh yeah a skillet too
emlove.gif
(can''t live without it). Everything else if great to get, but those are the gifts i use the most.
I completely ditto this. These are the three items I use the most, hands down. Granted, two out of the three I bought myself!
1.gif

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Travelingal: i use my skillet almost every night....hands down the best item in my kitchen...i have all the "cool" stuff...stand mixers and such, but my big non stick skillet is my fav....everything is delishand juicy in that thing...clean-up is a breeze.

i''d also register for casual serving dishes and bowls--when my DH has his friends over i don''t have to worry about my nice stuff getting ruined by the football herd..lol
3.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
We went the upgrading route too. FI and I combined households, so while we did have almost everything, it was all "starting out" quality, and it was really fun to pick stuff together that we both liked. Our splurge item... FI put a Waterford crab on the registry since he''s from (and we live in) Maryland. It''s completely useless, just a sit-around, but we both giggled when we saw it so we added it. Everything else has a purpose. We''re having a Texas wedding so our registry is really large, but otherwise we wouldn''t get cash, we''d just get gifts we didn''t pick out. My aunt gave us a Waterford pillar candle holder for Christmas. The price tag on the box said $179. FI said "can we take it back?" I said "just think of it as practice for wedding gifts... ''it''s so pretty, thank you!''"And yeah, the check would have been more helpful to us, but it is a beautiful candle holder. Since you''re doing a Northeast weddng, I hope you''ll get checks!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our dyson was probably my favorite gift too. Also our kitchen aid (even though I used GCs) and china of course! Most useful, probably our new pots. I am really happy with them.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Janine, where are you registered? I know you''re thinking more in general terms, but it may be helpful to know in case someone has a specific "registry must" for you! For example, the Riedel wine glasses from Target are a MUST! DH and are are winos, and wanted 8 of every wine glass available.

But generally speaking, we LOVE the Ralph Lauren linens, Dyson, and Espresso machine we got!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
My personal registry musts are cookware and knives; FI''s is crystal.

This could be useful: Cook''s llustrated Guide to Essential Cookware

Another thing that really helped was choosing a store with very helpful staff when registering for cookware. The Crate and Barrel we registered at has a saleswoman who really knows cookware, and they had her work with us for a while. She asked us questions about what type of cooking we do, what kind of cleaning and maintenance we were willing to do, etc. I''ve heard that Williams Sonoma is also good at helping you choose what''s really the most useful for you. The salespeople at BBB kept pressuring me to add as much as possible to our registry there. I tried asking questions about whether a 5 qt saute pan or a 5 qt sauteuse pan would be better for us, and they just kept telling me to register for both despite my repeatedly telling them that we have limited storage space. (This could just be the local BBB, though.) I''d really recommend shopping around for helpful salespeople who are receptive to your needs and wants, especially if you want a limited registry.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 7:57:12 PM
Author: Blenheim
The salespeople at BBB kept pressuring me to add as much as possible to our registry there. I tried asking questions about whether a 5 qt saute pan or a 5 qt sauteuse pan would be better for us, and they just kept telling me to register for both despite my repeatedly telling them that we have limited storage space. (This could just be the local BBB, though.) I''d really recommend shopping around for helpful salespeople who are receptive to your needs and wants, especially if you want a limited registry.

They did the same to us. He actually told me to add towels of EVERY color because people would buy what they like regardless of what we picked. He kept saying that we could bring everything back for cash afterwards. I really don''t understand how this works for them but I guess they figure they''ll sell more to people who come in to buy wedding gifts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results