shape
carat
color
clarity

Registry help

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Hi all. DH and I will be doing our registry soon. My question is- What items were the most useful for the registry? What things and what quantity did you register for? Anything you thought you would use and didn't? Any advice is appreciated!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I didn't really want to read everyones favorite things, more just the most important things to get.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
My best suggestion is to get a copy of the most recent edition of Baby Bargains. It's a book that lists what is really useful, and then rates the different products in terms of safety and ease of use by brand/style and then differentiates for different price ranges. It wasn't written by any company, so it isn't swayed by brand name. I got it out of the library, but then I ended up filling it with sticky notes for when we went to register.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1295812793|2830632 said:
Hi all. DH and I will be doing our registry soon. My question is- What items were the most useful for the registry? What things and what quantity did you register for? Anything you thought you would use and didn't? Any advice is appreciated!

Tuckins, I'm assuming you will be having a shower. My suggestion is to put anything you would like at all price ranges. If you don't want to store things for later use, then don't register for things you'll use later (like high chair, feeding utensils, etc).

I used two resources when I registered: baby bargains book and the BRU registry guide. The guide was great because it separated things into categories (bed, bath, health, safety, feeding, gear, etc.). The BB book really added to the guide because it broke down what was worth the price and what wasn't. I was clueless going in but these 2 things made it easier.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all. I have a specific question- what size clothing did you register for? All newborn0-3/6 month? Bigger?

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't register for ANY clothing -- you'll get a lot regardless. If there is something you really, really want but don't want to buy yourself I'd recommend the 0-3 months size. The newborn size usually only lasts a very short time (with us only 2 weeks). The 0-3 month size was the only size for my LO where I could guarantee he'd be wearing it in the appropriate season (e.g. for a couple of months after birth). I had a kid who grew big fast ... but you may have a baby that stays small. I had a good deal of clothing gifted to me that I had to return because the season changed and he couldn't wear them.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
turtledazzle|1295874797|2831278 said:
I didn't register for ANY clothing -- you'll get a lot regardless. If there is something you really, really want but don't want to buy yourself I'd recommend the 0-3 months size. The newborn size usually only lasts a very short time (with us only 2 weeks). The 0-3 month size was the only size for my LO where I could guarantee he'd be wearing it in the appropriate season (e.g. for a couple of months after birth). I had a kid who grew big fast ... but you may have a baby that stays small. I had a good deal of clothing gifted to me that I had to return because the season changed and he couldn't wear them.

Thanks for the tip ::)

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats tuckins! Registry is so fun to do. I didn't register for clothes and got a ton, so ditto whoever said that. For perspective, my baby was 7 lbs 3pz at birth and is just now leaving NB clothes at 4 wks. So you will need some. Gerber sizing is small, Carter is pretty true to size, gap is pretty true to size. You will need lots of burp cloths. I got a million and didn't think I'd need that many but you do. And swaddle blankets are good...make sure you have at least 4. Don't get a lot of washcloths! I ended up with like 18 after my showers. People live to give them for some reason. You should only need 5 or so if you keep up with laundry. Also don't get too many little bottles. You won't use the little ones that long, and the big ones hold just fine but look a little awkward with a new baby! So I just have 2 five ounce bottles and wash them all the time. They are pricey!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Another ditto on the clothes! And G only had one or two newborn outfits (lasted maybe a week) and was fine with 0-3 from birth, so you never know. I did register for some clothes, though, because his sex was a surprise and we wanted people to know that animals and blue and red and brown and things other than just yellow and green onesies with ducks on them were okay! People still didn't really buy clothes off the registry, but it kept the green onesies with ducks to a minimum. :lol:

People will buy a ton of clothes and wash cloths and receiving blankets and burp cloths, and so I wouldn't register for any of that unless there is something special you want (like the AA receiving blankets).

It looks like my registry has been deleted because G was born a while ago now, but if memory serves me correctly this is the main stuff we had on it:

Car seat
Bouncer
Diapering things - cloth diapers, cloth wipes, changing pad, changing pad covers, wet bags
Pump (was going back to work full-time)
Bottles, nipples, and assundry
Mattress protector, sheets, mattress
Moby wrap
General baby care book
Clothes, to the extent that I mentioned before
First aid kit

Um. Um. I know there was more. We tried to keep it to the basics though, as we needed those things the most and we hoped that we could steer people in that direction. We still wound up with 30 blankets. :lol: There were certain things that we got as hand-me-downs - high chair, pack-and-play - and so we didn't register for those.

As far as things that we got that we didn't really use, I think this is pretty personal. I never used my wipe warmer, as they're fire hazards and I wasn't comfortable with it. G didn't like the swing. We went through a couple of strollers until we found one that we love, and sold the others on Craigslist to recoup costs.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me, people's favorite things ARE the most important/useful things to have. On the second to the last page a Mom specifically asked about things you could not live without... def important! I'd check it out.

Things we didn't use at all:
Bottle warmer
Swaddle blankets other than the Miracle Blanket or A&A wraps
Portable changing pad (once or twice only)
Baby shoes
Baby socks, almost everything he wore had footies

Things we loved and must have for newborns.. I'm going to list the basics like car seat etc because that is in the Must Have list.
Kimono onesies or tshirts with mittens. Loved not having to put things over his head. I bought these myself though another mom also gave us a pack.
Hand mitts, our kid was a champion clawer
Bouncy vibrating chair, he slept it in for the first week
Bassinet, the crib was just too big for him!
Newborn clothes, our kid was 8lb 2oz and he wore NB until almost 4weeks. So I would say you don't need a ton but def get a few or at least have someone available to return/exchange things for you if you need smaller sizes.
Miracle blanket
A&A swaddle wraps
MIcrowave sterilizer
Waterproof pads
Snuzzler car seat insert for infants

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the info! I am feeling a little better about putting together the things that he will need. I do want to register for the mattress/bedding/etc, but at the same time I really want to get his room finished so I can see how cute it will be! I am not good with prolonged gratification. Gimme instant!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results