shape
carat
color
clarity

Refund? Layaway item on hold

PaulH78

Rough_Rock
About two weeks ago I stopped by a B&M jewelry store since I was on the market for an engagement ring. I knew very little about diamonds and just wanted to get educated. I've seen commercials for the store and they seemed trustworthy. Well I went in and got the short education and was shown diamonds/rings. I knew the shape, carat, and setting style I wanted so they showed me a few options. I found a 1.02 G SI2 with a clean table that I did like well in my price range. Long story short the sales lady puts on the car sales hat and says this diamond won't last long. I was very weak and she told me just put $500.00 down(normally $750.00) deposit on it to hold it on layaway. I didn't like the feeling after leaving and of course find pricescope.com after getting home. All the knowledge and different places to buy. My question is now the receipt says no refunds for layaway. I know they will put up a fight after reading reviews online of them. Am I screwed out this money(store credit) or could I do a chargeback with credit card? I'm in possession of nothing. Thanks.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd go in and speak with a manager and see if you can get anywhere. Worst case, you can use the $500 towards your wedding ring or something that is fairly innocuous. Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just be very, very thankful that you only paid $500!!! I am sure you have figured out by now that you should never buy from a jeweler that doesn't give you a reasonable return period with 100% money back.

I wouldn't go in angry, I would just ask for the manager and nicely say that you have decided that you aren't ready to make a ring purchase at this time and would like to ask for a refund. If they say their policy is no refunds, then ask for a store credit. As Yenny said, you can always use the credit for something else.

Just post a thread in Rocky Talky when you are ready to buy and we can help you find an excellent stone and setting!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Wouldn't a layaway constitute a contract to purchase? If so, don't consumers have 72 hours to change their minds legally? The store can state whatever they want, but it does not mean it is legal to do so. I am curious about this.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soocool|1353062667|3307751 said:
Wouldn't a layaway constitute a contract to purchase? If so, don't consumers have 72 hours to change their minds legally? The store can state whatever they want, but it does not mean it is legal to do so. I am curious about this.

Not necessarily. There are a couple of federal consumer protection laws, and state consumer protection laws vary. There is no blanket 72 hour rule applicable to all product or service purchases.

Generally, retailers can establish their own layaway rules as long as any terms and conditions are clearly and conspicuously disclosed at time of purchase. Some states require written disclosure and signature of purchaser acknowledging they've been informed of terms and conditions.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
You may want to look to see if your state or city on laws governing layaway. There is no federal law that specifically govern layaway. Did they provide you with the terms and policies on layaway? If not, then you may be protected by the Federal Trade Commission Act. Hopefully you are able to get the money back or work out something.

PaulH78

Rough_Rock
The manager said that they would give store credit for the amount I put down($500) or can charge a 25% re-stocking fee of $125 and put the rest back on my credit card.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PaulH78|1353373710|3310595 said:
The manager said that they would give store credit for the amount I put down($500) or can charge a 25% re-stocking fee of $125 and put the rest back on my credit card.

Did you see any WBs you might be interested in for yourself? If he doesn't overcharge his bands, to the amount of $125+ overcharge, you might just want to get your band there? :confused:

I'm very glad you found PS before paying for the whole thing, though! :bigsmile:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
How can they try to charge a re-stocking fee when nothing left stock to be re-stockable? I would find out the laws in your state and force the issue.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1353375531|3310618 said:
How can they try to charge a re-stocking fee when nothing left stock to be re-stockable? I would find out the laws in your state and force the issue.

Ditto. Or I'd try to do a charge back through your credit card company.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Praps you can use the store credit for your own wedder...or bridesmaids gifts...or a lovely little pre-wedding gift for the bride...special little gift for your own mother on such an important occasion...etc etc etc...

there's loads of excuses for jewellery buying when you are getting married heheh :D
for this reason, I wouldn't take the refund.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'd be happy to only loose $125 and take my credit back for the rest!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results