shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this Jedi spinel ?

vik84

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

Came across this 2ct Burma spinel, certified by GIA for origin and no treatment. Dealer claims this to be a "Jedi spinel", wanted to get your opinion about the stone. Dealer is asking $5500 in total for the stone, I like the color and clarity. I don't mind the slightly higher depth if the material is truly "Jedi". What do you think ?

voce

Ideal_Rock
It does look like Jedi to me, but it's not as though I'm a gemologist. The saturation and cutting are both very much to my liking. Unable to speak to price, as I know the material is rare and getting rarer, so as long as you're not thinking of reselling and making a profit, I think you should go for it, since in my view it's a rare and unique beauty.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like a lovely stone at a fair price. Does it have a lab report? How does it look in sunlight?

vik84

Rough_Rock
Yeah, certified by GIA, report is below.

6321450679.jpg

These were the videos taken by the dealer at my request in natural daylight, here is a video originally posted by the dealer in studio lighting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Humm. I like the daylight ones much more than the studio light one. I think it's good that it comes w a GIA cert so you can be confident that its unheated. I would honestly feel better paying closer to 1500/ct, but obviously it depends on your comfort level

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With red spinel prices jumping like mad for any decent material (not the pyrope garnet looking stuff), I personally think $5500 is fair. These stones also go up exponentially at the two carat mark. However, it’s always best to thoroughly research prices before committing.

@VividRed recently opened a thread in this forum where he was trying to find that perfect red spinel for his collection. My eyeballs fell out and rolled on the floor for sub two carat gems when he mentioned some of the prices.

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinels can colour change quite a bit between inside and outside and depending upon the lighting source and red is a really difficult colour in stones to get to co-operate for photos...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results