shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel input

hjbvet

Rough_Rock
I am new to these boards and looking for some initial impressions for these two Spinels. I very much love the deepest red stone, but I have concerns that once set the larger, darker stone will be too dark. Are the any guidelines for how to estimate how dark a stone will feel once set? Thank you for helping us new folks through this.
Larger, darker Red Spinel
Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 3.46.19 PM.png

Smaller lighter Red Spinel
Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 3.46.55 PM.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with your initial thoughts on the stones. Unfortunately, I suspect the second (also lighter stone) to have cut issues. Do you have better close up pictures?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most gemstones will darken when set. The first stone you can see how it has half/half extinction in which half the stone appears darker where the light hits it. I would judge the darkness of the stone by looking at that portion when deciding to purchase or not. The second stone looks windowed which will make the stone appear lighter but less lively.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What about considering this one

She'll sun a 20% off sale sometime this month that may bring the prices in line with what your currently looking at.

Alternatively have you checked gemfix?

voce

Ideal_Rock
This one is only 1.1 ct, but I have had good experience with this vendor before, and the price is more in line with what I'd want to pay. Wen of YunfanGems readily agreed to give me a return if AGL did not test my gems purchased as natural spinel.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What budget are you hoping to stay under?

hjbvet

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everyone! I did pass on the two initial so I am still looking for all your insights. I also have a local jeweler looking for me at a show next weekend (but will suffer the mark up I'm sure)
As far as budget I think I need to keep it around $2000 for the stone, and size wise I am hoping for something around 8mmx6mm.
My love for a true pigeon blood red ruby started this (which I know is not the market standard for Spinel but hoping that will work in my budget's favor!), but my budget is making me branch out. I am also not opposed to Garnets, but do not have the eye to see which lean to orange/brown in person.

voce

Ideal_Rock
For $2000, you'll be hard pressed to find a red spinel in your desired size, unless you compromise on the color. Maybe you'll have to go for a garnet, but it's worthwhile to try Aurelia Gems on Etsy.

There may be IG vendors like thegemcollector, but I'm a wary person by nature and would not recommend conducting doing business over IG in case I would want to return something.

hjbvet

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much. After looking at several stones with my local jeweler, I realize that I love the Spinel (I tried hard to like the garnets... HARD!) and one of my parameters will need to change... probably my budget. :doh:

voce

Ideal_Rock
@hjbvet
I don't think it looks better with more views. There is a window, where it looks dark in the center without returning the color of red in the center of the gem.

This is the type of red spinel I would recommend you to buy. It's been on my favorites list, but I don't want to hog all the beautiful red spinels. I'm not in the financial situation to buy yet, as I am considering other purchases, so if this is what you are after, it can go to you.

hjbvet

Rough_Rock
Thank you @voce
That is beautiful and it helps me see the different color tones and brightness. So generous to share, but I don’t know how I feel about a pear, but thank you so much. I we’ll definitely use the colors as a reference to help narrow my search.

hjbvet

Rough_Rock
If anyone is still reading this, what is meant when the spinels are described as “open” color. Such as this description:
intense vivid open rich red, excellent clarity”

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone is still reading this, what is meant when the spinels are described as “open” color. Such as this description:
intense vivid open rich red, excellent clarity”

Open color usually means that it isn’t overly dark.

By the way, the first two spinels you originally posted look like dark spessartite garnet. I would avoid shelling out lots of $$$ for spinels that look like red or orange family garnets, as you can have the latter for much less.

A red spinel should also be able to have noticeable fluorescence in the sun.

hjbvet

Rough_Rock
Thank you @T L
The jeweler ordered several garnets for me to view but they all fell flat in when we took them out side. There was just no fire or sparkle in them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @T L
The jeweler ordered several garnets for me to view but they all fell flat in when we took them out side. There was just no fire or sparkle in them.

They’re probably poorly cut then and/or have very dark tone. I would look at garnets from a vendor that sells precision cut gems. I would also try to avoid overly dark garnets. Even spinels will go dead if overly dark.

hjbvet

Rough_Rock
Thank you again for the expertise and time. I searched for precision cut garnets. These are dazzling in the controlled setting of the photograph- what do I ask to see to know how they will look in the real world? (I like several on his site/Etsy)

(since this convo has shifted to garnets please let me know if proper etiquette is to start a new thread)

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you again for the expertise and time. I searched for precision cut garnets. These are dazzling in the controlled setting of the photograph- what do I ask to see to know how they will look in the real world? (I like several on his site/Etsy)

(since this convo has shifted to garnets please let me know if proper etiquette is to start a new thread)

I would go through the vendor vs PS photo thread. It is really helpful. I ordered an amethyst as a gift and it is lovely but I can't get the color to look like the glamour shot. It is still a beautiful stone but much darker in most light.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results