shape
carat
color
clarity

Recut small original ering stone?

ellekay

Rough_Rock
I upgraded my ering a year ago, and I'd like to do something with the stone in my old ring. Only problem is, now I know what good cuts look like! While I love my old stone, it's not cut well at all. It's a .69 princess cut with basically no crown, E color, probably VVS. Is it possible and worth it to have it recut, either into a more brilliant princess or a MRB or OEC? I just googled Ashley at southwest diamond cutters, and the prices look to be pretty reasonable. Has anyone ever recut a small stone with good results? I'm not overly concerned about saving as much ct wt as possible; I just want it to be sparkly and brilliant.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Short answer: no
Long answer......
A princess cut cant be cut to another shape without massive loss in weight.
A princess cut is a real pain to recut.
I dont know of anyone offering a recut service for them at any size but there is likely someone but it wont be cheap.
That said it would be cost prohibitive to do so on a under 1ct stone.
Do you have pics of the stone? Princess cuts can work well with little to no crown as the pavilion does all the work.

ellekay

Rough_Rock
Short answer: no
Long answer......
A princess cut cant be cut to another shape without massive loss in weight.
A princess cut is a real pain to recut.
I dont know of anyone offering a recut service for them at any size but there is likely someone but it wont be cheap.
That said it would be cost prohibitive to do so on a under 1ct stone.
Do you have pics of the stone? Princess cuts can work well with little to no crown as the pavilion does all the work.

Thanks so much for the info, @Karl_K. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I upgraded my ering a year ago, and I'd like to do something with the stone in my old ring. Only problem is, now I know what good cuts look like! While I love my old stone, it's not cut well at all. It's a .69 princess cut with basically no crown, E color, probably VVS. Is it possible and worth it to have it recut, either into a more brilliant princess or a MRB or OEC? I just googled Ashley at southwest diamond cutters, and the prices look to be pretty reasonable. Has anyone ever recut a small stone with good results? I'm not overly concerned about saving as much ct wt as possible; I just want it to be sparkly and brilliant.

I doubt a recut will be feasible given the size, especially if you want it to be a different shape. I would set the original stone into a necklace so you can still wear it for sentimental reasons :)

ellekay

Rough_Rock
I doubt a recut will be feasible given the size, especially if you want it to be a different shape. I would set the original stone into a necklace so you can still wear it for sentimental reasons :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm sure you're right.

ellekay

Rough_Rock
@Karl_K here's some shots of the old ring (and one with the new ring, just for fun). Any orange reflections are from my phone case.

Thanks for looking! I'm sure you're right that it's not possible or worth it; I just got my hopes briefly raised when I saw the prices on Ashley's website ("starting at $250").

PXL_20210119_194408699.MP.jpg PXL_20210119_192816159.jpg PXL_20210119_192745688.jpg PXL_20210119_192725865.jpg

PXL_20210119_191348183.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
From your description I was expecting worse. It looks average or better to me.
Put it in a pendant and keep it very clean and enjoy it.
A steam clean will be its best friend.

ellekay

Rough_Rock
From your description I was expecting worse. It looks average or better to me.
Put it in a pendant and keep it very clean and enjoy it.
A steam clean will be its best friend.

Thanks so much. I actually cleaned it before taking these photos. It was verrrrry dirty, and it did shine up a bit nicer than I remembered! The center has good light return, but it's pretty leaky around the edges. I think you're right, though: it would probably be just fine in a pendant.

Thank you so much for your time and input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results