shape
carat
color
clarity

Recut Advice needed

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am planning on recutting a family diamond. The net carat loss is estimated as .126 and diameter loss is .04.

diamond asset.JPG

diamond assett.JPG diamond idea.JPG IMG_3504.JPG

The cost is around 600.00 dollars and it is hoped to be an ideal cut if all goes well. Do you see any reason I should not go ahead?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
weight both before and after?
color?
clarity?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ok, so its keeping 1ct which is great.
F color has a high price per ct but keeping it over 1ct and the better cut may also raise the value.
An si1 has the potential to come back si2 as the re-cutting changes the visibility of the inclusions.
That is something you want to discuss with your cutter.

So 2 discussion points if you haven't discussed it already is the probability of staying over 1ct and the potential resulting clarity grade after the recut.
If your satisfied with those answers I dont see a reason not to do it if that is what you want.

Have you discussed the risks such as the slight possibility of exploding on the wheel etc?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for it!!

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
ok, so its keeping 1ct which is great.
F color has a high price per ct but keeping it over 1ct and the better cut may also raise the value.
An si1 has the potential to come back si2 as the re-cutting changes the visibility of the inclusions.
That is something you want to discuss with your cutter.

So 2 discussion points if you haven't discussed it already is the probability of staying over 1ct and the potential resulting clarity grade after the recut.
If your satisfied with those answers I dont see a reason not to do it if that is what you want.

Have you discussed the risks such as the slight possibility of exploding on the wheel etc?

Yes we discussed the risk of exploding, one in a million but could happen, was more concerned with the type of crystal structure that apparently is not revealed until the stone is on the wheel.

The inclusion apparently is "not so bad".

The goals are super ideal cut and over 1ct.

I am going ahead with the recut so we will see. I hope it works out, though an exploding diamond would be a good family story.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Yes we discussed the risk of exploding, one in a million but could happen, was more concerned with the type of crystal structure that apparently is not revealed until the stone is on the wheel.

The inclusion apparently is "not so bad".

The goals are super ideal cut and over 1ct.

I am going ahead with the recut so we will see. I hope it works out, though an exploding diamond would be a good family story.

...and you have adequate insurance coverage on it, I hope?

Do you have a current grading report? I'd love to see the before and after reports!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 - I know nothing about diamond images like what was posted nor recutting.
So asking those that know:
Starting off at 1.16ct
And expecting to get super ideal and staying above 1.0ct
Whips my mind.
Are the images posted not really far off from super ideal that this is typical?

Finger crossed for you @oceanblue !

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
...and you have adequate insurance coverage on it, I hope?

Do you have a current grading report? I'd love to see the before and after reports!

Ok it is in the queue to be cut and will take up to eight weeks. I do have the current SARIN report and the one for the hoped for results. For some reason I feel like it may be bad luck to post them now.

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
#1 - I know nothing about diamond images like what was posted nor recutting.
So asking those that know:
Starting off at 1.16ct
And expecting to get super ideal and staying above 1.0ct
Whips my mind.
Are the images posted not really far off from super ideal that this is typical?

Finger crossed for you @oceanblue !

I am no expert either but the stone has a thick girdle which helps in the recut. It currently has a SARIN proportion grade of 6, which is "medium".

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no expert either but the stone has a thick girdle which helps in the recut. It currently has a SARIN proportion grade of 6, which is "medium".
‘Fingersnap’ Ah!!!!
:)

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@oceanblue, what might be an additional fun thing to do, if your cutter is set up to do it, take a good video of the diamond before and after recutting.

Then you can truly compare and see the magic of the newly cut gem looking back at you as compared to your current diamond. I suspect you are going to be pleasantly amazed.

Wink

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow what a cool project! I’d be all for it, even if it goes below 1 carat.

id love to know who your cutter is! I have a stone I want to recut one day too!

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Inclusions that may create stability issues aside, is every stone a candidate to be cut into a super-ideal MRB and it's just a matter of how much ct weight needs to be lost to get there? Or can some stones just never be recut to super ideal standards?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Inclusions that may create stability issues aside, is every stone a candidate to be cut into a super-ideal MRB and it's just a matter of how much ct weight needs to be lost to get there? Or can some stones just never be recut to super ideal standards?
There are stones that can not be recut due to strain...they are the ones that explode.
Some stones have hard and soft spots causing the original cutter to get it so-so and bail.
Inclusions can become surface reaching forming knots and cavities which hurts salability and value..
Economic reasons are the biggest reason not to.
If the table has to be moved say go from a 60% table to a 56% table the loss goes up a lot..30% is not out of the question for weight loss in such stones.
Its always a case by case basis on both sides of the wheel.

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
As an FYI, It was made clear to me from cutter that this is a service, time consuming, risky and no money will be made.

I pretty much had to guarantee that I would also buy products offered, there was sales pressure. If you have an existing strong relationship with a vendor/cutter go for it!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an FYI, It was made clear to me from cutter that this is a service, time consuming, risky and no money will be made.

I pretty much had to guarantee that I would also buy products offered, there was sales pressure. If you have an existing strong relationship with a vendor/cutter go for it!
Pardon me if inappropriate
Are the prices publicly listed for the products offered you needed to promise to buy in the future? I mean how can you promise to want future items?

totally understand the existing strong relationship comment.
it’s really really weird and uncomfortable when a vendor you are very new to throws weird ‘pay me an inflated price from my original quote now, and I’ll cut you a deal on your next project and no my pricing isn’t public knowledge’

I get the choices being made.
best wishes and fingers crossed!

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
Pardon me if inappropriate
Are the prices publicly listed for the products offered you needed to promise to buy in the future? I mean how can you promise to want future items?

totally understand the existing strong relationship comment.
it’s really really weird and uncomfortable when a vendor you are very new to throws weird ‘pay me an inflated price from my original quote now, and I’ll cut you a deal on your next project and no my pricing isn’t public knowledge’

I get the choices being made.
best wishes and fingers crossed!

No inflated prices of products. I initially contacted them to buy a setting for the stone. Then decided to ask about cutting services. I don't want to go into how it all went down because they did nothing really wrong. I should have used the word "expected" rather than "guaranteed". I can not go back to edit now.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$600 for a 1ct recut with “no money will be made” sounds odd to me based on this published price list for recuts:
Of course, prices vary by region and your vendor might be providing additional services.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
$600 for a 1ct recut with “no money will be made” sounds odd to me based on this published price list for recuts:

Southwest is a fine company. I use them personally. They charge $275/ct for XXX's. That's based on initial weight. $346.50. Add $75 shipping and insurance, twice. That's up to $500 before anyone gets paid to deal with emails, packaging, discussing 'what if' scenarios, or explaining the results, etc. $600 is a bargain.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@denverappraiser hits it out of the park. Southwest is a fine company, and when you add in the cost of shipping, etc. your retailer is giving you a great price for the recut, assuming you are not working directly with Southwest. Most retailers would want to mark up their costs.

Wink

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Go for it! can't wait to see the results, please post all the ASET images and everything after it's recut :) Those before pictures are.... UFFDA. Tough. it's gonna be great! I also think that's a stellar price for not much loss of carat weight

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Go for it! can't wait to see the results, please post all the ASET images and everything after it's recut :) Those before pictures are.... UFFDA. Tough. it's gonna be great! I also think that's a stellar price for not much loss of carat weight

LOL, you got me. What is UFFDA? I am going to presume it is not complimentary...

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did I miss something? I don’t see where @oceanblue mentions Southwest. The link to them was posted my @kgizo. But again I may have missed something.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
LOL, you got me. What is UFFDA? I am going to presume it is not complimentary...

A Minnesotan / Scandinavian saying meaning "oooooh boy...", my family says it all the time and my grandma had a embroidered towel with UFFDA on it, hahahah!

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sigh! I have used that term many times with my Scandinavian friends. It has been so long since I have been with them that I had forgotten it. I also am now so used to seeing LOL, ROFLMA, and other abbreviated phrases that I was trying so figure out this new acronym...

Thank you for the translation and the reminder of my moved away Scandinavian friends. I had forgotten how much I miss them.

Wink

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Sigh! I have used that term many times with my Scandinavian friends. It has been so long since I have been with them that I had forgotten it. I also am now so used to seeing LOL, ROFLMA, and other abbreviated phrases that I was trying so figure out this new acronym...

Thank you for the translation and the reminder of my moved away Scandinavian friends. I had forgotten how much I miss them.

Wink

This reminds me of seeing discussions about how midwesterners always say, “op” when they make a mistake. The whole concept seemed totally foreign to me, until I realized that is how one spells the sound I always make.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results