shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommended Appraiser in NYC plus pic of new ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ineedadiamond

Rough_Rock
I am about to pick up our new engagement ring from our Jeweler and am looking to bring it within the next month to get it independently appraised. Anyone have any recommendations of people that they trust/have used before? I would prefer someone that can do it in front of me (is that a reasonable request?) as I would hate to have to leave the ring for a couple of days after just having gotten it. Should I show the GIA cert to the appraiser or is it better to have them judge the ring/stone without knowing the credentials?

Attached is a pic (everyone loves pictures!) - the setting is at the hand engraver now so it will have a lot of texture on the shank/band when the final product is ready. Very excited!

CushBrillUnfinHG1.JPG

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

ineedadiamond

Rough_Rock
Thanks Deelight!

Is there a way to see what actual customers have said about the appraisers on that list? I was hoping to get a recommendation from someone who has used an appraiser in Manhattan.

Thanks!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
They are all reputable appraisers you can most likely do a PS search and see if anything comes up but I would really just call around and see who you most gel with and is offering what you are after ;-).

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful ring! I can''t wait to see the finished product!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I recently worked with Mark Bunda and was pleased. He does do the appraisal in front of you and only when he's done looks at the GIA certificate.

ETA: I think your ring is beautiful. Come back with more pics of the finished product!

ineedadiamond

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I can''t wait to see the finished product either!

I will check out Mark Bunda - thanks for the recommendation!

ineedadiamond

Rough_Rock
What should I expect to pay for an appraisal?

Thanks again!

ineedadiamond

Rough_Rock
One more picture since i am so excited ;-)

CushBrillUnfinHG2.JPG

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/12/2009 11:01:27 AM
Author:ineedadiamond
I am about to pick up our new engagement ring from our Jeweler and am looking to bring it within the next month to get it independently appraised. Anyone have any recommendations of people that they trust/have used before? I would prefer someone that can do it in front of me (is that a reasonable request?) as I would hate to have to leave the ring for a couple of days after just having gotten it. Should I show the GIA cert to the appraiser or is it better to have them judge the ring/stone without knowing the credentials?
Congratulations.

Take your GIA, and any other paperwork the jewelers have given you and tell your appraiser you have them. The first thing your appraiser should do in your session is have a conversation with you about what you want to know and what sort of documentation you need at the end. Have this conversation before you present any of the documents. They'll ask if and when they need to see something. Often, for example, people want to know if the stone they’re looking at is the same one that’s described on the GIA report. Obviously the appraiser can’t answer this question without looking at the report. If you are looking for documentation that will become part of an insurance contract, you are probably going to want it to include a copy or at least a reference to that GIA and, again, this can’t be done if you don’t have it with you. The other paperwork can contain things like manufacturers model numbers or address for the mounting and it's often desirable to specify these things in an insurance replacement type of report so that the replacement, should the need ever arise, is exactly what you had.

Not all appraisers offer a while you wait service but a fair number of us do. Ask this along with your pricing question when you call them up and set the appointment.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

ejv207

Rough_Rock
I highly recommend David Wolf at Just Appraisers. He was very courteous and a pleasure to work with. David will evaluate the e-ring right in front of you and make his estimations of the 4Cs without viewing the certificate. David allowed me to be very hands on with the evaluation tools during the appraisal. He patiently explained the purpose of each tool used in the appraisal process and completely answered all questions raised.

I think you should expect to pay anywhere from $100-250 or more depending on total carat weight and how comprehensive of a report you desire. I paid more since I went twice; first for verification and valuation of a loose stone, then again a month later for insurance documentation and pictures of the completed e-ring.

Best way to get in touch is to call for a quote and to schedule an appointment. I was fully satisfied with the service I received from David. Good luck! The pictures of the ring are gorgeous!

35.gif

ineedadiamond

Rough_Rock
Thanks EJV and DenverAppraiser! Good info.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
What cut is this diamond? I can''t tell but I LOVE it! In the market for an ering (thinking cushion or radiant) so please advise :)

ineedadiamond

Rough_Rock
Megumic - it is an antique cushion - jeweler thinks it is probably from around the 1930s - but has been recut since. The GIA cert says Cushion Brilliant and shows an 8 facet plot. I know they cut them this way today so you wouldn''t need to necessarily find an old stone. Just look for the chunky facets.

ineedadiamond

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 10:27:32 AM
Author: ineedadiamond
Megumic - it is an antique cushion - jeweler thinks it is probably from around the 1930s - but has been recut since. The GIA cert says Cushion Brilliant and shows an 8 facet plot. I know they cut them this way today so you wouldn''t need to necessarily find an old stone. Just look for the chunky facets.

Oops - i mean 8 pavilion mains - not facets...still learning the lingo.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results