shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for cat litter that produces as little dust

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do any PSers have recommendations for a cat litter that produces as little dust as possible?

We have been searching for a long time for a good cat litter that produces as little dust as possible because with 4 cats it seems there is always cat litter dust around our whole place. Gross I know. We thought we found a good cat litter a year ago and it has worked out well but in the last few months it has not been as good as when we first started using it.

My dh completely changes the cat litter out at least once a week and we clean/scoop the litter boxes every day. My dh called the cat litter company and they said they have not changed the formulation but well our observations are what they are so we are looking for another cat litter. The goal being as little dust created as possible.

We have been using The World's Best Cat Litter multiple cat formula in the red bag.
https://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/scoopable-multiple-cat-clumping-litter/

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

multi-cat-hero.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Recommendations for cat litter that produces as little d

We get our cat litter from Costco, it's really cheap, clumps well, not dusty, the only caveat is you have to be a member. I had four cats at one time myself and we tried all different kinds but like this the best.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I introduced my parents to the litter you currently used about a decade ago. I think it's gotten more dusty over time. And I couldn't deal with the line of ants that would carry the litter out of the house in the spring time :lol: (the litter box was kept in the kitchen a few feet away from the sliding doors to the deck :)

For my own cats, I :love: Dr. Elsey's precious cat litter. I see that they have a "respiratory" version and I'm wondering if that would be even less dusty, even though both the clay version I use and the respiratory version state 99.9% dust free.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like Target's house brand, Boots and Barkley. I especially like that it comes in an unscented formula. Oh, and no dust.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

We buy Blue Buffalo [Naturally Fresh] or occasionally, Swheat Scoop. We like the natural stuff. Both clump well, they're flushable, I think, and there's very little, if any, dust with both brands.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you guys!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So my dh had on his list of litter to try your suggestion PintoBean of Dr. Elsey's precious cat litter. Thanks Pinto! We will try that next after trying a last batch of the World's Best though I think using the World's Best will just be the same dusty results. But we just got another bag after talking with the manufacturer saying they never changed the formulation. Honestly it has been much more dusty over the course of a number of months so I know something had to change. I think we are wasting time trying it again but OK just one more chance and then onto PSers great suggestions!

Stephanie, Thanks for your input. Years ago we used to buy the Costco cat litter...do you know if the formulation has changed? I liked it but my dh felt that it was too dusty but maybe now it is a different litter...I will check that out as that would be the easiest solution. We go to Costco every single week and I love the ease and convenience (and cost!) of getting stuff there.

VRBeauty, thanks for your suggestion and next time I am at Costco I might pick up a bag. Cannot hurt and it would be great if it works well. Target is not convenient for us to get to in NY but easy enough in NJ plus I think they deliver.

Zoe, We haven't heard of these two and I am going to check it out. Thanks so much for your recommendation. I like all natural and flushable too though I don't flush it I like that it is less harsh for the environment.

I will update you guys with our results. Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've tried pine litter, newspaper litter, clay litter.. All were dusty. I've been using Japanese tofu "okara" litter for years and it is amazing. It smells vaguely sweet and malty like graham crackers, it clumps perfectly, is all natural, harmless to kitties (no silica or ink or dust) and does not leave dust. It's also relatively environmentally friendly as it's made from the leftover waste from making soy milk (ie the soybean husks and fiber). :wavey:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42|1457488180|4001843 said:
I've tried pine litter, newspaper litter, clay litter.. All were dusty. I've been using Japanese tofu "okara" litter for years and it is amazing. It smells vaguely sweet and malty like graham crackers, it clumps perfectly, is all natural, harmless to kitties (no silica or ink or dust) and does not leave dust. It's also relatively environmentally friendly as it's made from the leftover waste from making soy milk (ie the soybean husks and fiber). :wavey:

Sounds like the holy grail of litter. I did a quick Google search and can't it available in the US.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

I have 2 cats and use worlds best in the green bag. The original one. We haven't had dust problems at all.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata|1457488679|4001846 said:
mochiko42|1457488180|4001843 said:

Sounds like the holy grail of litter. I did a quick Google search and can't it available in the US.

Yes, I think Matata is correct. I will do a further search later and appreciate your rec Mochiko but unfortunately it doesn't look like it is available in the USA.

asscherisme said:
I have 2 cats and use worlds best in the green bag. The original one. We haven't had dust problems at all.

Thanks asscherisme. We have 4 cats so the one in the red bag is for multiple cats. I wonder if the green bag would be better or if as advertised the red bag is better for multiple cats. We are trying a new red bag now and so far it seems OK but will be trying these recs one at a time if possible.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know a few cat breeders that swear by wheat based litter, little dust and it is supposed to be better for cats health. I tried it ages ago and I am allergic to it, but I am allergic to both wheat and gluten in real life as well so I guess that is why. My cats liked it....

In Australia we have this;
http://www.wonderwheat.com.au/

I think in the US it would be something like this;

http://www.swheatscoop.com/products/

This site also recommends corn based and other natural cat litters, which I assume are something like your red bag you have listed above, maybe if you change the brand of corn based litter you can find something similar with less dust;

http://www.moneycrashers.com/best-natural-cat-litter-reviews/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1457533898|4002020 said:
I know a few cat breeders that swear by wheat based litter, little dust and it is supposed to be better for cats health. I tried it ages ago and I am allergic to it, but I am allergic to both wheat and gluten in real life as well so I guess that is why. My cats liked it....

In Australia we have this;
http://www.wonderwheat.com.au/

I think in the US it would be something like this;

http://www.swheatscoop.com/products/

This site also recommends corn based and other natural cat litters, which I assume are something like your red bag you have listed above, maybe if you change the brand of corn based litter you can find something similar with less dust;

http://www.moneycrashers.com/best-natural-cat-litter-reviews/

Thanks arkieb! I'm going to check this out.

I3radley

Rough_Rock
Hey!! I found this thread while looking for litter options for my new Litter Robot and ended up just getting a more finely ground version of what I have used for the past 3 or more years and since you use world's best you'll really benefit from this...

You maybe have read on his before and if not you can now. Chicken food!!! Identical to world's best and if you are concerned added proteins and stuff is bad for your cat you can get organic with nothing added. I recommend the NatureWise brand as I have within past few months tried it and it contains legit zero dust and other brands I tried (Dumor and Purina) have like clouds of dust fly out the bag and all throughout the corn. Best price per pound you get from world's best is 1.49+tax per pound (35.99 for 24lb) and the best price for the feed is 0.36 a pound (it's 18 roughly after tax and about 15.99 prior to tax). I created an account here just to tell you this. I hope this helps you save money !!

Do any PSers have recommendations for a cat litter that produces as little dust as possible?

We have been searching for a long time for a good cat litter that produces as little dust as possible because with 4 cats it seems there is always cat litter dust around our whole place. Gross I know. We thought we found a good cat litter a year ago and it has worked out well but in the last few months it has not been as good as when we first started using it.

My dh completely changes the cat litter out at least once a week and we clean/scoop the litter boxes every day. My dh called the cat litter company and they said they have not changed the formulation but well our observations are what they are so we are looking for another cat litter. The goal being as little dust created as possible.

We have been using The World's Best Cat Litter multiple cat formula in the red bag.
https://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/scoopable-multiple-cat-clumping-litter/

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

multi-cat-hero.png

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cats would probably eat the chicken food instead of doing their jobs there. :lol::lol-2:

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
We use the Breeze system. It has it's pluses and minuses. But one of the biggest positives is no dust.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I use the Tractor Supply Paws & Claws brand clumping litter. I think it's dustier than it used to be. But, what I do is fill the litter boxes outdoors. I hold the bag up a good 3 feet above the litterbox, and pour. Even on a calm day, there's enough breeze to snatch up the fines and blow them away. I have 1 18 year old cat who needs her litterbox changed every 3-4 days, and I just use cheap clay litter for her but do the same: Fill it outdoors and let the wind carry off the dust.

Some of my horsewomen friends use pellet bedding for their horses as substitute for cat litter. But I'm not sure that it can deodorize even the slightest amount.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results