carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for anti wrinkle and lifting skincare

• Thread starter Deactivated member 42515
  • Start date
D

Deactivated member 42515

I'm trying to find my mom a Christmas present and she is the worst person to shop for. She returns almost everything we've ever gotten for her or shoves it in the back of her closet. The only thing she is interested in is skincare.

Do you have any anti wrinkle or lifting creams, serums, concentrates that you swear by? Or any other skincare that made your skin better? I wanna add that my mom has awesome awesome skin so just something to hydrate, and reduce lines and wrinkles. She is over 50.

Budget is about $250. Thanks!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I swear by this stuff:

http://www.rocskincare.com/deep-wrinkle-night-cream

I've used it for about 2 years now, and I don't have crow's feet anymore, and the age spots have faded away. I also use it on the back of my hands and they look great!

There was a NYTimes article that said that retinol is the only thing clinically proven to boost collagen production. This has the highest amount that I've been able to find.

Pretty cheap, though, about $15 a tube at the drugstore.

The other Roc items don't have as much retinol, and don't do a lot.

Yes, I am very close to your mom's age. . . :nono:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Ilander, is the roc cream the same as the serum? I'm in my thirties now so would like to try and establish some anti ageing regimen. No crows feet but years of wearing glasses have left wrinkles under my eyes. :wacko:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Olay regenerist products consistently rate high as excellent anti aging products ahead of many expensive ones. I honestly get compliments ALL the time on my skin and I have been using them for years. Now I use renova Rx from the Derm at night and Olay in the morning.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom swears by Murad and I can tell you from her complexion, it's great stuff. Make sure you get the real stuff and not knock offs.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1354309472|3319532 said:
I swear by this stuff:

I've used it for about 2 years now, and I don't have crow's feet anymore, and the age spots have faded away. I also use it on the back of my hands and they look great!

There was a NYTimes article that said that retinol is the only thing clinically proven to boost collagen production. This has the highest amount that I've been able to find.

I use Roc as well, but the multicorrection night cream. I tried this about 6 months ago and swear by this now. I am 56 and just got complimented on my great complexion a few days ago by a complete stranger in the store and I was not wearingbany makeup.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1354311199|3319556 said:
Olay regenerist products consistently rate high as excellent anti aging products ahead of many expensive ones. I honestly get compliments ALL the time on my skin and I have been using them for years. Now I use renova Rx from the Derm at night and Olay in the morning.

Ditto to Olay. Not only does it work great but its affordable and I love that they have many formulas in fragerance free. I love the regeerist syrum. I get complements on my skin and all I use is purpose face cleaners that I buy at target and olay products. In my late 20's and early 30's I tried the pricier brands, clinique, etc. But around 33 or 34 I switched to Olay products and never looked back. Its been about 10 years and my skin looks great. People are surprised when I tell them I have a 16 year old and thats awesome!

I will say thought that staying out of the sun is a huge huge help. I had a dermatolgist tell me in my 20's that the best wrinkle preventer is avoiding the sun and when you are out, sunscreen and hats.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair and Resilience Lift. They too make your skin look awesome and the smell is just heavenly to take to bed with you!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1354310369|3319542 said:
Ilander, is the roc cream the same as the serum? I'm in my thirties now so would like to try and establish some anti ageing regimen. No crows feet but years of wearing glasses have left wrinkles under my eyes. :wacko:

Hi Rosetta! :wavey: I haven't tried the serum, mostly because things named "serum" seem kinda scary. :D That's just me. If it has more retinin-A (or retinol) then I think it would be even better. All the products posted on this thread so far have retinol as their active ingredient. ;-) It does work really well, even for those with acne (if you have young friends) which is what it was invented for.

All that Alpha-hydroxy and maderma stuff is actually onion extract, BTW. Thought I'd throw that in there.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Thanks iLander I'll give it a shot. Unfortunately I've got oily skin. Keeps the wrinkles at bay but I still get spots on occasion. :knockout:

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I've bought my mother moisturizer from De La Mer and she loved it. If your mother has dry skin, it does not hurt to try :)

D

Deactivated member 42515

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna go check out Roc and Olay Regenerist. I've heard good things about Murad too. La Mer was on the top of my list since I have used it before but was wanting some other opinions in case there was something better. My mom loves Estee Lauder so can't go wrong there either.

My mom has the skin of a 20 something year old. Everyone is always commenting on her skin everywhere we go. Most people think she is 30 something.

Maybe I will get her everything. I mean, I can't go wrong if I get her some Roc, Olay, Murad, La mer and Estee. :naughty:

D

Deactivated member 42515

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to check some of these out. I don't yet have a lot of wrinkles, but guess it never hurts to start using the creams to prevent the/ more wrinkes from forming. I do have a few dark spots however (not as bad as before though, since I started being more fastidious with my sun-screen) so I am looking fwd to having them erased.

Thanks for starting this thread, YayTacori, and thanks to the other ladies for your recommendations. I'd love to see pics of your lovely skin, ladies.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I swear by this stuff:

iLander, does the retinol peel off the upper epidermis of your skin, do you know? And do you also happen to know if you'd be required to stay away from the sun as a result of this? I am scared of "acquiring' any more dark spots!

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix,

I don't know if it's available in your country, but Haku from Shiseido literally erased dark spots from my mother's skin! She started using it when she was in her 50s and her skin still looks amazing today (she's 63 now).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sakuracherry|1354427016|3320323 said:
Phoenix,

I don't know if it's available in your country, but Haku from Shiseido literally erased dark spots from my mother's skin! She started using it when she was in her 50s and her skin still looks amazing today (she's 63 now).

Ooohh, Shiseido is def available here. I will ask them if they stock Haku. Thank you! :bigsmile:

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I remember a couple of ladies posted about the Obagi C skincare line, and would like to second that as well. It was recommended by my mother's dermatologist, and when she was using it her skin was glowing. I am about to finish with my line of skincare products (Philosophy, like it but don't love it) and will switch to Obagi I am done!

For fine lines and wrinkles around the eye area, I love Estee Lauder's Advanced Night repair eye cream. I have been using this for about 10 years now (I used to have pretty bad dark circles and lines) and it has been a staple in my skincare routine. Over the years I have also tried other brands because I got bored :oops: (La Prairie, Clinique, Philosophy) but have always come back to Advanced Night Repair because it works so well.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1354425844|3320313 said:
I swear by this stuff:

iLander, does the retinol peel off the upper epidermis of your skin, do you know? And do you also happen to know if you'd be required to stay away from the sun as a result of this? I am scared of "acquiring' any more dark spots!

Yes, I think it does. And I would use with sunscreen. They have a day cream that has the retinol and a sunscreen together, some people use that. But the reason I use it over other products is that it penetrates the layers and knits together the support collagen under your skin. And it encourages collage regrowth. Plus you get to "keep" the new collagen instead of it being only a temporary "plumping" like you get from moisturizers.

Here's the NYTimes article, which talks about the clinical trials
SKIN DEEP
The Thing About Retin-A: It Works
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/fashion/30skin.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
EXCERPT:
“There is so much historical evidence that this ingredient works better than anything else,” said Dr. Joel L. Cohen, clinical assistant professor of dermatology at the University of Colorado and a consultant for OrthoNeutrogena, the maker of Retin-A Micro. And the effects are more than superficial. “It actually works to remodel skin on a cellular level,” Dr. Cohen said.

Retin-A can improve skin texture and fade dark spots and freckles because it causes skin cells to turn over more rapidly. It shrinks dilated pores and improves cell turnover within the pores so they are less likely to clog and become blackheads and whiteheads. But what has earned Retin-A its long-held reputation is its ability to affect the retention of collagen.

Collagen is what gives skin its structure, firmness and elasticity. Repeated sun exposure breaks down collagen and, with age, cells produce less and less collagen to repair the damage. Skin wrinkles, sags and loses fullness.

Retin-A does double duty in helping to boost collagen. According to research at Michigan, it has the potential to stop photoaging before it starts. “The retinoids prevent the rise of collagenase after UV exposure,” Dr. Voorhees said. Collagenase is what breaks down collagen.

But regular use of a retinoid product also increases the amount of new collagen formed, research has found, and that new collagen will last for years.

The rest of the article addresses skin peeling and sensitivity, so it's worth a click-through.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1354539876|3321207 said:
Phoenix|1354425844|3320313 said:
I swear by this stuff:

Yes, I think it does. And I would use with sunscreen. They have a day cream that has the retinol and a sunscreen together, some people use that. But the reason I use it over other products is that it penetrates the layers and knits together the support collagen under your skin. And it encourages collage regrowth. Plus you get to "keep" the new collagen instead of it being only a temporary "plumping" like you get from moisturizers.

Here's the NYTimes article, which talks about the clinical trials
SKIN DEEP
The Thing About Retin-A: It Works
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/fashion/30skin.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
EXCERPT:
“There is so much historical evidence that this ingredient works better than anything else,” said Dr. Joel L. Cohen, clinical assistant professor of dermatology at the University of Colorado and a consultant for OrthoNeutrogena, the maker of Retin-A Micro. And the effects are more than superficial. “It actually works to remodel skin on a cellular level,” Dr. Cohen said.

Retin-A can improve skin texture and fade dark spots and freckles because it causes skin cells to turn over more rapidly. It shrinks dilated pores and improves cell turnover within the pores so they are less likely to clog and become blackheads and whiteheads. But what has earned Retin-A its long-held reputation is its ability to affect the retention of collagen.

Collagen is what gives skin its structure, firmness and elasticity. Repeated sun exposure breaks down collagen and, with age, cells produce less and less collagen to repair the damage. Skin wrinkles, sags and loses fullness.

Retin-A does double duty in helping to boost collagen. According to research at Michigan, it has the potential to stop photoaging before it starts. “The retinoids prevent the rise of collagenase after UV exposure,” Dr. Voorhees said. Collagenase is what breaks down collagen.

But regular use of a retinoid product also increases the amount of new collagen formed, research has found, and that new collagen will last for years.

The rest of the article addresses skin peeling and sensitivity, so it's worth a click-through.

Wow, thank you sooo much, iLander. Really appreciate all the infor.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
So based on this thread I went out and got the ROC eye cream (the sensitive version) and the Estee Lauder ANR eye cream. I have used the ANR serum stuff but my face and serums don't get along. So we'll see if that combo works on my eye area. The one I had been using is giving me an eczema outbreak and that's weird because it's one I have used a while and this tube maybe is just a different batch I guess, bec I did not get any weirdness from my last two tubes. So I set that aside. I use retinoids off and on for my skin anyway so my face should be used to it for the ROC but I decided not to risk it with the eye cream even if I do bring that stuff under my eyes usually.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some strange reason, retinol and my skin do not get along. My skin burns, peels, breaks out and I end up with minor scarring and dark spots from it. :(sad Tried almost every brand out there too from drug stores (Roc) to fancy names like Philosophy's miracle worker. I am better off using nothing at all. I have decent skin and teenagers always mistake me for being a peer. I thought to take preventive action now but instead it caused skin problems that I've never had.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
PLEASE NOTE :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

From the NYTimes article;

The problem with Retin-A is that it may actually make skin look worse — with redness, flakiness and peeling — for up to eight weeks. “But by 24 weeks, patients will see dramatic, marked improvements,” Dr. Lee said.

Ms. Hobbs said when she first started using Retin A, she broke out with severe acne. “I remember I called the doctor and told him I was going to stop using it because my face had never looked worse,” she said. But her doctor advised her not to give up. “And he was right,” Ms. Hobbs said. “In another couple of weeks, my skin cleared up.”

But in every case, patience and common sense are required. “You need to take six weeks to ramp up very slowly, but people will glob it on every night from the start and then call their doctor in a panic that their skin is red and peeling,” Dr. Beer said.

Doctors generally recommend using no more than a pea-size dab for the entire face. They advise using the product once every three nights (or once a week if skin feels irritated) for a couple of weeks, then every other night, eventually working up to every night if the skin can handle it.

Please click through to the link and read the whole article. The ROC product (Deep Wrinkle has the highest concentration of retinol, I'm not sure all Roc product have it, check their ingredients) is not pure Retin-A, it is a derivative, so the initial skin reaction won't be as bad, but you still might get something. I didn't have a problem at all, because I'm older and don't have oily skin, but I do occasionally get a flaky patch now and then. I forgot to mention, I use it on the corners of my eyes every night, but I do my whole face and neck only twice a week. My hands, I do about once a month, and soooo many spots are just gone. I've just started to use it just above my eyelids, because they're getting that droopy, old lady look, I'll let you know how that goes. I'm thinking about a month before I see a big difference, but it beats surgery!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander,
I only dabbed a tiny amount once a week for 6 months with no improvement. I really wanted it to work. It was so bad I could never progress beyond once a week.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1354940445|3326019 said:
iLander,
I only dabbed a tiny amount once a week for 6 months with no improvement. I really wanted it to work. It was so bad I could never progress beyond once a week.

Oh, not just directed at you, Chrono, I noticed others had trouble with it. I think it really isn't for everybody. If teens think you are one of them, then heck, why mess with something that is obviously working already?

I had so much sun damage, I think my skin was just desperate. :bigsmile:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I call the "breaking it in" stage molting. And I look like hell on toast during it. You really will walk around looking like a chemical burn. I started with every third day, then every other then every night. But when I stick with it and get past it..much better. The biggest find for me to speed it up was to use a cleansing oil (I use DHC) to take my makeup off first thing before getting into the shower, then at the end of my shower, use a regular gentle foaming cleanser (purpose, simple, dove sens skin bar) really quick to get conditioners and stuff off my face. Then I blot my face with a paper towel and put moisturizer on immediately. I originally used Avon 24 hour moisture? and they discontinued it. It was THE BEST and didn't burn. Then I used to use Olay Complete for Sens skin in the jar, but they changed it and it's doing something weird to me now, giving me rashes. So now I am alternating some weird "Chagrin Valley" Face Mousse with no actives, and Malin+Goetz Face Cream. That has made a huge difference. After that soaks in, then I put the retinoids on. The barrier the moisturizer makes takes some of the burn out but during the worst of the molting...there's no real prevention for burning.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results