shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommend your comforter/duvet!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I aplogize for the flurry of posts on house furnishing items--but figured someone here might be an expert in the area.
emsmile.gif

I''m looking for a comforter--down or down alternative. Hoping to not spend a fortune, but my main requirement is that it be 1)fluffy and 2) not shift! Macy''s has great sales ("Hotel", "Charter Club"), but not sure about the quality long term. I''ve bought bargain duvets in the past--and ended up with a flat sheet with all the feathers at the bottom!

Anyway, just thought someone here might have an awesome comforter they''d like to brag about--we all know how important a comfy bed is!!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Hi JG
The best comforter I ever found was from Costco.
I think it was their Kirkland brand. The pillows are great too.
We don''t live near a Costco anymore
39.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOVE The Company Store. Always get comforters from them. They have several different weights.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I have a down alternative comforter from Amazon.com - it''s actually called Pinzon Primaloft or something like that....and I absolutely love it! I''d compare the feel and fluff to a high end brand from a department store or BB&B!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Janinegirly,

Oooh, a great bed is so important, isn''t it?

1. Look for "Baffle Box" construction; it keeps the down within each square, but the squares are three-dimensional so you don''t have cold patches where the comforter is thin/stitched together.

2. Avoid laying atop any down comforter for any length of time, if ever; it flattens the down over time.

3. Higher "fill power" (e.g. 650 vs. 550) is better. It will stay lofted for longer.

4. Fill weight (e.g. 20 oz., 46 oz., 70 oz.) basically is a measure of how warm you need it to be. We use a lightweight (20 oz., "down blanket") in summer and mid-weight (46 oz., "down comforter, Level 2") in winter here in our primary SoCal residence, but have kept super-heavy-duty ones at ski cabins, back east, and other wintry, cold places.

I went to a specialty store (Scandia Down, I think?) for the heavy-duty ones, but truth be told they''re TOO warm for normal, 60-something degree environments. (If $$ is a concern, I should warn that the custom route is a budget-buster.) Our mid-weight down comforter was an impromptu off-the-rack purchase from Bloomingdales, and we''ve been very pleased with it. It''s the Level 2, which is a 600 fill power, 38 oz., baffle box in Queen, but if you live in a colder environ you''d choose a higher "level" in the Bloomingdales system. It looks and feels as it did when new, which was perhaps 3 years ago. You can get them on sale for around $200. Hope this helps-- if you have any Qs, feel free to ask!

f-d-l

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My comforter is a Ralph Lauren one. Very good quality.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock

I''ve seen alot of Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, etc ones at places like Ross and Marshall''s. I have one that has the box type stitching only not really... its weird... so all of the feathers fall to the edges and its annoying. I just bought a new down alternative one at Target and so far so good. Its not super fluffy though because we get hot really fast but it has the full box stitching so no shifting!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 1:19:02 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
LOVE The Company Store. Always get comforters from them. They have several different weights.

Ditto. I love my down comforter from The Company Store.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my duvet at Costco and I LOVE it! It wasn''t super expensive like other places and it is so comfy and warm, especially for these CCCCOOOOOLD Canadian winters.
23.gif

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I have bought the Hotel brand twice first for my queen size bed and then again for the king. I LOVE IT !

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t believe how inexpensive this duvet is! I can''t sleep without the weight of a good blanket on me even in summer. We keep our house a chilly 58 at night and even when out heater stopped working for three days in Dec. We warm under this duvet. I''ve had it for about 4 years, looks brand new. My mother has always bought hers from Domestications, and so I can say they hold up great...I think hers is about 10 years old at this point. The company''s shipping is fast. Domestications

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 4:27:28 PM
Author: Kismet
Date: 2/5/2009 1:19:02 PM

Author: Tacori E-ring

Ditto. I love my down comforter from The Company Store.

And they are having a sale!
2.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Definitely go with company store--we have the alberta comforter and it''s great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results