shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommend a hostel in paris or brussels

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone recommend a nice, (pleasant) clean hostel for youth in Paris. Have checked the internet, but would prefer if there was a personal experience attached to one....

Perhaps Brussels too if anyone has been to either place.....

Thanks!!!

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
I stayed in a hostel called Le FIAP Jean Monnet in Paris for four weeks, and it was so much nicer than I ever expected a hostel to be. The rooms are clean and updated, and even the double I shared with a friend offered a surprising amount of privacy. All of the rooms have private bathrooms, and the in-house restaurant is decent. I''d definitely recommend it.

Here''s the link:

http://www.fiap.asso.fr/uk/index.html

Hope that helps!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!

My son is traveling through Europe backpacking and doing the hostel thing.

They are only doing a couple of nights in Paris, and were unsure of the best place to have the most fun, as young backpacker.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whatever you do, dont stay at the yound and happy hostel in Paris-its anything but. It was dirty, insect ridden and just a horrible stay. The actual area is amazing and every year when we go to Paris we stay around that area. Lots of beautiful restaurants, a subway very close by, or you can just walk around from the area. Last time we stayed, it was at the holiday inn at the latin quater. It was very basic but didnt cost much.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll get my disclaimer in first, I don''t mean to offend anyone, but when I think of Paris, I don''t think of it being a ''fun'' city. Depends on what your idea of fun is I suppose. I''ve done the backpacking thing round Europe 3 times and Paris to me was always about the architecture, the food, the wine, art, shopping. Sure, I had fun in Paris, but not the kind of fun you can find in other cities. I recommend seeing Paris, I mean I do love Paris but for fun I''d recommend: Prague, Madrid, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Munich, Hamburg, Bordeaux, anywhere in the UK and Ireland, Krakow, Budapest......I could go on. Staying in student accommodation is a great way to meet people and make friends. Also, you will find that its cheaper and you can also pickup discounts for places to eat and stuff.

Rough Guide and Lonely Planet sites should be able to give you information on places to visit, eat, accommodation etc.

http://www.roughguides.com/ & http://www.lonelyplanet.com/

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2007 1:19:34 AM
Author: Po10472
I''ll get my disclaimer in first, I don''t mean to offend anyone, but when I think of Paris, I don''t think of it being a ''fun'' city. Depends on what your idea of fun is I suppose. I''ve done the backpacking thing round Europe 3 times and Paris to me was always about the architecture, the food, the wine, art, shopping. Sure, I had fun in Paris, but not the kind of fun you can find in other cities. I recommend seeing Paris, I mean I do love Paris but for fun I''d recommend: Prague, Madrid, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Munich, Hamburg, Bordeaux, anywhere in the UK and Ireland, Krakow, Budapest......I could go on. Staying in student accommodation is a great way to meet people and make friends. Also, you will find that its cheaper and you can also pickup discounts for places to eat and stuff.

Rough Guide and Lonely Planet sites should be able to give you information on places to visit, eat, accommodation etc.

http://www.roughguides.com/ & http://www.lonelyplanet.com/
Fully agree with everything in this post...especially the highlighted part since I met my husband that way. I also agree with bee...I have heard awful things about the Young and Happy Hostel. I started and ended my trip in Paris but chose not to stay at a hostel in Paris...nothing that came across as exciting at all.

Also, if your son can change his itinerary, Bruges is very pretty and has quite a few good hostels.

Some of my fav hostels in Europe (in case he is going to roam around) -

Prague - Sir Toby
Cesky Krumlov - Krumlov House (my favorite hostel because it''s low key...more like a house and easy to meet people. Met TGuy here).
Florence - Archi Rossi
Salzburg - Yo Ho

Also stayed at Charlie Rockets in Bruges and Wombats in Vienna. The rest I probably wouldn''t recommend.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! He left this week. He is off to Amsterdam, Berlin, Brussels, Paris, London, Manchester, and Edinburgh.

At the moment he is at the Flying Pig Uptown, he said it was pretty good. He decided he only wanted to spend two nights in paris because he felt there wasn''t much fun to be had if it wasn''t a romantic trip. And he heard that they don''t enjoy young Amercian''s very much.

So prayers for a safe trip and safe return for my first born. (i know, i sound like a crazy mom)

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
weird, i didn''t think there was such a thing as a clean & pleasant hostel in paris. good to know (not that i''ll stay in a hostel again, but it just makes the world seem like a better place)

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
When my son gets back, i will post an update on what he thought of the Paris hostel.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the young and happy hostel turned me off hostels forever! It really was disgusting!!

Your son will have a great time Eva-especially in Berin and Amsterdam. They''re great cities to visit with lots to do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results