shape
carat
color
clarity

Reception Venue Dramas ... Advice or Opinions needed urgently

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
I just got the quote back for our April 4, 2010 wedding after paying the deposit and the quote is 5 - 7K more than what I have budgeted for for our 130 guests.

Do you girls have any idea how to manage this tactfully with the event manager.

I understand and accept that for a public holiday that there would be a surcharge but 30% seems very expensive to me.

My problems as succintlly as possible

1. In their policy they state that for sundays or public holidays (wedding is on easter sunday) that it is a 20% surcharge. But she has quoted my 30% ?????

2. I have been quoted on 30% on top of the entire bill. I would expect that there would be a charge for labour, food etc. But she wants to charge me 30% on top of the entire bill. In my opinion things like cake tables, dancefloor etc should not be charged at 30% since it makes no difference what day they are used. And if it is essembly etc that should be included in the labour fee.

Should I question this, stating the reasons i have listed above, or should i just leave it and understand that by choosing to have my wedding on easter sunday that this is just the way that things are.

I was in tears reading over the quote. Our parents are helping out but we would still have to contribute a signifigant amount of money to make it work.

My mum and I looked over it on the weekend and looked at cutting the guest list by 30 or so to try and help with cost.

Any advice appreciated ....

Miya03

Shiny_Rock
If in the contract it states 20%, then it should be 20%. Read the contract over carefully. Make sure you understand what it says, and be able to point it out to the event manager if necessary.

I would contact the manager as soon as you can and ask for a meeting to discuss this. I would start by asking questions to clarify their policies, and then explain to them your situation and see if there is anything that they can do to help. Maybe you can substitute less expensive entrees, cut out the full bar and serve only wine and beer, whatever it is you need to do. The event manager should be able to help you stay within your budget. And if that fails, you may have to cut guests, but really try to get the manager on your side and see what you can do.

Also, is the date fixed? Could you move it to a different (not holiday) Sunday since you''ve paid the deposit? Obviously that is only a last resort, but it may be something you could consider.

I''m really sorry you are having to deal with this--but try to stay positive and not freak out too much until you talk with the event manager.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Oh I am sorry supergirl!

I agree that you should talk with your event manager on how you can cut down the costs to make it morelike your original budget.
The only reason why I can see that they are charging you 30% instead of the 20% (and I think it is silly) is because your date is both a Sunday and falls in a public holiday weekend. Maybe you could ask to change the dates to another Sunday but keep in mind that you will still be slogged the 20%.

Sorry I don''t have any other advice for you, I hope you get it sorted, if you were willing to find another venue maybe you would be able to get out of the contract with your deposit intact since it is not stated that there is a double charge for the Sunday falling on a LWE?

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Is it just me, or should they have given you the full quote (in writing) BEFORE you paid the deposit? It seems they now have you caught and can basically ask for whatever they want.

I''m so sorry you''re in this position. Is there a particular reason you wanted Easter Sunday, or could you change the date? If not, highlighting their stated terms (ie 20% surcharge) would be the best way forward. If there was a 30% surcharge for Sundays AND public holidays, this should have been written in their terms, or at least told to you, before they took the deposit.

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
Just be assertive but nice about it. Call the manager up and tell him/her that there seems to be a discrepancy in what was originally agreed upon. Ask them to explain why it is being charged that way and ask them to specifically point out in the contract how that works. If it can be read two ways or the text is ambiguous, tell them that. Make your point calmly (not panicked) but firmly and listen to what they have to say. Don''t fill up the silence with jabber.
40.gif
If you aren''t satisfied with the answer, then ask to schedule an appointment with the supervisor to talk through it or say you need to think through it and call them back. Don''t give up your position easily or agree that you were wrong right off the bat. Just seek to come off as someone who is fair, wants to clarify and correct the situation and will not be rolled over.

Personally, I''d leave out the part about how this will put you in financial straights, because, really, it''s not their problem and it makes your motives seem more selfish. Remember, they are a business and this is a business contract. there''s nothing wrong with negotiating and requiring them to live up to their end of the bargain. Keep the relationship calm and professional and see what they can do. Always give them the opportunity to back down and seem like the big guy
2.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2009 3:58:58 AM
Author: LilyKat
Is it just me, or should they have given you the full quote (in writing) BEFORE you paid the deposit?
Exactly. How did you pay the deposit without getting the full cost in writing??? Something to keep in mind for the future, never pay a deposit unless you have looked over and signed the entire invoice. It protects you from things like this.

I would definitely talk with her, firm but politely. Let her know you were told the extra surcharge would be 20% and were charged 30%, which is not acceptable. As for the % being on the entire bill, unfortunately, you don''t have much to stand on for that unless you saw it mentioned on their website or something of that sort. Even that doesn''t do much, it literally comes down to what you signed for.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Supergirl, just to add, make sure you keep the documentation of the 20% surcharge (ie, print it off if it''s on their website), BEFORE you call them. Not to imply they''re totally shady, but you don''t want that detail taken down, as you won''t have anything to go on then. As it is, if there is no mention of 30% anywhere or a double charge for Sunday public holidays, I''d say you have a very good case for keeping it to 20% given that that was the understanding on which the contract (deposit) was made.

Zipzapgirl gave great advice about how to approach it with them. Good luck!

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with all of the above posters that the 30%/20% discrepancy is not acceptable (unless it elsewhere states that it will be 30% if on a Sunday AND a holiday). I would just question calmly and nicely, as maybe the coordinator simply made a typo inputting the figures on the estimate.

As for whether tables/materials should be included in the markup, this is probably something that should have been inquired about when you initially signed, so I do not think they probably have to budge on that issue unfortunately.

Sorry to hear this, but I''m sure there are some ways you can cut down on other things if needed!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/24/2009 1:13:42 PM
Author: MagsyMay
I agree with all of the above posters that the 30%/20% discrepancy is not acceptable (unless it elsewhere states that it will be 30% if on a Sunday AND a holiday). I would just question calmly and nicely, as maybe the coordinator simply made a typo inputting the figures on the estimate.

As for whether tables/materials should be included in the markup, this is probably something that should have been inquired about when you initially signed, so I do not think they probably have to budge on that issue unfortunately.

Sorry to hear this, but I''m sure there are some ways you can cut down on other things if needed!
I completely agree with all previous posters. There is no way you can let this go, if in fact the 30% is nowhere in your signed contract.

As for the highlighted portion above, I also agree. You should never assume things like that, that was your responsibility to clarify with them before signing anything (which kind of brings us back around to how/why you put down a deposit before having the actual total).

Good luck, keep us posted!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
It still couldn''t hurt to assertively point out that there shouldn''t be an additional charge on non-service things like tables and chairs. Theoretically you are paying (20%) more to compensate the workers who are working a holiday. Also, if you proceed in the right order, and they ARE charging 30% without advance notice, this will make your entire contract re-negotiable. Basically, as long as you do not make any more payments, since being notified, a change to the contract has occurred that makes the original one void. ALSO requiring them to give back the contract. Good luck. Hope it isn''t as bad as it looks.

blackbetty

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely contact her back!

Everything is negotiable & I''m certain their door isn''t getting banged down for Easter Sunday. Quetsion anything that doesn''t make sense to you. IOt''s your money & you have a right to so that. Explore other options & don''t be afraid to let them know you are.

blackbetty

Shiny_Rock
Wait! AFTET the deposit?

Did they give you anything in writign before you put money down?

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
thanks so much everyone for your replies. I will try and answer everyones questions.

I have corresponded with the event manager no less than 20 times throughout the 12+ months I have been planning. I was upfront right at the begining and throughout that the wedding was a sunday and in fact easter sunday and relating this into the theme ie. favours with easter eggs. This was so I had an accurate idea of prices to compare vendors.

I also explain to her we were doing this for religious reasons (sunday) and that we had picked easter sunday because of the friday and monday making it an extra long weekend which would help our many out of town guests.

My mother and I met with her about a fornight ago to pretty much finalise things and make some more decisions in regards to timetables for the night etc. We were to pay the deposit on that day as planned and then she would give me a formal and itemised quote. I'm embarrased so say that I didn't realised/think to ask or insist get the fully itemised quote beforehand. I honestly didn't even realise that was the way things were done. Like i mentioned, i had added up what the cost would be myself beforehand and it came in just under budget which was perfect and the reason we choose these cateres/venue.

The deposit is really not a huge issue, its a few hundred dollars. She told us verbally on the day of the meeting that we could cancel up to a month before and still get deposit back. If we have to loose a few hundred dollars I would be annoyed but it would not be the end of the world.

Although it is not technically wrong of her, but the fact is that we have discussed that the day is easter sunday several times (and i have this in writing via eamil). Then in her last email containing the quote she has stated she "didn't realise it was easter sunday and it would be 30% not 20%". seems a little bit below belt to me either way.

On the quote I have recieved labour is charged separetly and will incur the 30% surcharge. So that is why i'm questioning whether the tables chairs etc should occur a surcharge also. Probably a minor issue really.

I emailed her back yesterday and polietly told her that the quote was well above what I had calculated excluding the 30% surcharge. I told her that I would be making some signifigant cuts to the guest list etc and would forgo some extras in an effort to try and bring down cost to make it more manageable. I also polietly told her that I would be seeking alternative quotes from other vendors to see if they could offer a price which fitted better with our budget.

She had some suggestions about how to decrease cost but they weren't particularly suitable ie. change from buffet to alternative plate drop. We have a reasonable number coeliacs, vegans, vegatarians so the buffet menu was formulated specifically so that there would be plenty of dishes for everyone and they would not be "singled out as such".

I have contacted two other vendors. One had a 10% surcharge for easter sunday and the other had no surcharge and for not booking the wedding on a saturday they would offer us 10 hotel rooms free of charge.

I am calling another 8 or so venues other venues (ones I contacted initally) to get comprehensive quotes again and make a decision.
15.gif
Lots of work to have to go through again especially this close to the day but what to do. Sunday is extremely unpopular in my region and every venue I have contacted so far has this date available.

Miya03

Shiny_Rock
If in the contract it says 20%, then regardless of what she put in her emailed quote, you are only obligated to pay 20%, end of story. If she wants to charge you 30% she needs to return your deposit and draw up another contract.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/24/2009 7:53:22 PM
Author: supergirl10
thanks so much everyone for your replies. I will try and answer everyones questions.

I emailed her back yesterday and polietly told her that the quote was well above what I had calculated excluding the 30% surcharge. I told her that I would be making some signifigant cuts to the guest list etc and would forgo some extras in an effort to try and bring down cost to make it more manageable. I also polietly told her that I would be seeking alternative quotes from other vendors to see if they could offer a price which fitted better with our budget.
I''m sorry you are having such a problem with this venue. However, just something to consider for future venue negotiations- don''t make consessions when they try to rip you off!! This woman isn''t up front with you about the extra cost, and instead of pressing her to keep her word, you offer to cut friends and family from your own wedding?!? Honey, you shouldn''t be trying to make the venue happy- they should be trying to make YOU happy. You need to get tougher in these negotiations!! If you have trouble being firm with people (I know I do sometimes) have your FI or someone else in your family who is more comfortable being firm call/email her to do the negotiating.

I hope you either find another venue you like better or that you stick up for yourself and hold this venue to the contract terms!! Don''t give in so easily!!

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
She "didn''t realise it was Easter Sunday"? Her problem, not yours. If she made a mistake she ought to honour her word and just make sure she checks her calendar next time! Keep that email - she has basically admitted outright that the terms have changed since the initial contract, and you are therefore entitled to your deposit back.

I''m glad you''re looking at alternative venues. Personally, I have no patience for people who try to pull fast ones. In your position, I would lose trust in their integrity and would therefore be moving swiftly on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results