shape
carat
color
clarity

Reception Questions....

ac719

Shiny_Rock
I need to make a print out to put along with the invitations and Im not sure how to word things.... a little background first:
Our ceremony is taking place in a wooded area in a national park at the opening of a humongous cave. ( sounds ugly but its beautiful; post pics when i can! ) and the reception is in a huge Victorian home built on the top of the cave that has been there since 1800. The house still has the original glass in the windows and glass in the doors inside the home. The city now owns the home and rents it out for special occasions. They told me that they had an event there last fall and someone accidentally broke two of the windows in the doors leading to the living room and a hallway. the glass in the windows are valued over $1500 a piece!
My thing is the entire place isnt very kid friendly. It would be dangerous for a child running around outside the home since the cave drop off is next to it, the house has very expensive features and antiques. I just dont want someones kid running around and slam a door and break the glass out. etc.... I also dont want to deal with a screaming kid during the ceremony (my BIGGEST pet peeve) ever!!!!!!!!
The Park offers all my guest who attend a free cave tour (30 mins long) Im not sure if i should have them take the tour before or after the ceremony..... I was thinking after, that way we have time to set the food up for the reception........kind of make it the "cocktail hour" most people have haha. Eitherway i wasnt sure if it would be super mean of me to put in the handout that the area isnt kid friendly.... so constant supervision would be a must. anyway im rambling..... what would you say or do?

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
What else are you putting on the "handout"? (Would this be like an extra card you print with the stationery, or would it just be a printed piece of paper?)

If the kid-friendly thing is the only thing you'd put on it, I'd put it on your wedding website instead (assuming you have one) and call the people with small kids to give them a friendly heads up about the area not being safe for unsupervised children.

ETA: Your venue sounds gorgeous!

ac719

Shiny_Rock
I dont have a wedding website since this is a vow renewal for my husband and I. I just wanted to make a print out on the same design as the invitations letting people know about the cave tour they are welcome to take free of charge. Parking information. where to go incase of rain that day, etc.... and not being kid friendly. I guess i could just call the guest with kids so its not included in the handout for everyone! thanks for the quick reply!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I'd either have a "no kid" policy or plan to have a separate (safe with no $$$$ items) area with someone to keep them entertained during the ceremony & reception. I remember one of the ladies on here did little personalized activity kits for all of the kids to have. I think they'd have a lot more fun in a room with other kids (especially the younger ones) doing kid-friendly games/art/etc and having "kid foods" than having to sit still/quiet for an evening with their parents nervously watching them.

I wouldn't be able to afford some unknown additional $$$$$$ for potential damage (imagine a toddler with a sippy cup of grape juice near the antique furniture...) and I wouldn't want to have to send friends/family bills after the wedding to cover damage they cause. If you are able to pay $$$$$$ if something happens, then maybe that isn't as big of a consideration.

Also, it is a national forest and cave. It is NOT a safe place to have little kids crawling/walking around. Even older kids who might want to run around and play wouldn't be safe in that environment. (Imagine a group of 8-12 year olds running around chasing each other....)
Other than the potential for damage, they could be seriously hurt.

Whatever you decide, I'd suggest using an insert with the invitation AND adding the info to your website if you have one. You might also call (or have you mom or MOH call) just to remind and explain a bit more if needed.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
From what you've posted, it sounds like you really just don't want kids at the event. I mean, even a well-supervised toddler might make noise before the parent can usher them out of the ceremony.

Which is fine if you don't want children there -- the only kids we've invited are family -- but that seems like a better solution than to make your guests feel like they need to put their kids on a leash.

And if you are inviting kids, you know best whether the parents and kids invited are generally well-behaved and wouldn't need to be told to actually pay attention to their kids. A quick phone call seems most appropriate.

ac719

Shiny_Rock
thanks for all the replies ladies :)

Its not so much that I dont want kids there.... but im just worried about damages caused to the house or one of the kids getting hurt from running around outside next to a 200ft drop off beside a cave entrance (granted there is a fence) but still. Between DH and I we have 15 nieces and nephews!!! ranging from 6months to 15years old!!! The kids in general are pretty well behaved but everyone knows how children can be when they all get together. WILD!!! I just think im gonna call everyone with kids and ask them to please remember this is not a child friendly area. they are more than welcome to come but if so will require constant supervision from the parent.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results