shape
carat
color
clarity

Really weird getting-knocked-up question...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
is there any way, besides the inclination genetically, to get yourself pregnant with twins? Taking more hormones or something?

momothree

Shiny_Rock
Clomid, which is the "training wheels" of infertility treatments (basically it helps regulate ovulation) results in a higher than average rate of twin pregnancies. I think it is around 20% but don''t quote me. However, of all the people I know who took Clomid -- and there are a lot -- I am the only one that ended up with twins. And, guess what, my twins are identical which means the Clomid had nothing to do with it. Go figure!
Other things that you can do to increase your odds of having twins are 1) being old 2) being a twin 3) doing hardcore infertility treatments such as in vitro. Of course you can''t do anything about #2 and the other ones are obviously ridiculous strategies for "twin procurement" alone....

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have twins in our family, both sides. Im pretty sure that ups the chances. When we get around to trying I might inquire about it. Id really like to have twins, first crack out, and then get "fixed" so I don''t have anymore kids. I know that''s kind of odd but Id like my two to be the same age...Im sure when Ihave them as newborns Ill kick myself...

Thanks!

momothree

Shiny_Rock
Well, having twins in the family thing certainly does help. I forgot that one...
Having twins is interesting to say the least. In some ways, it is much much much harder than having one (I did that, too). However, in other ways it is really cool and an amazing gift -- both for them and for me.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much! Lucky lady, with twins and a spare ;-)

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Actually with Clomid the chance of twins is 5-8%. If you have no fertility problems though I would NOT suggest trying clomid. It can really mess your cycle up (mainly your uterine lining) and can have some icky side effects. When I was on clomid, I had sweats and the worst headaches of my life. It also did not work for me.

If you do IVF, your chances of multiples are around 20-25%. Even that didn''t get me multiples.......I had three embryos implanted and started with triplets and lost 2 of them. I still ended up with one baby. Twins would have been nice because I would have been done too but I think I''m done anyway. I have a daughter and a son.

Good luck with TTC.

Jaime
brand new mom to Robert James 7/17/05

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jaime,
Congratulations on the birth of your new son Robert James!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW! That sounds like pure hell, you''re right probably not worth the hell tht comes with it.

Congrats on the little boy!

momothree

Shiny_Rock
Mariahhlyn: Congrats on your new son!!! And thanks for the clarification about the Clomid twin stats. Given my persoanl experience, the 5-8% you mention sounds much more accurate.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with Clomid. I know you were not alone; I had read somewhere about a woman who felt the need to sit in the closet a lot while taking Clomid because she was afraid that if she was anywhere near her husband, she''d be yelling at him. I guess I was one of the lucky ones: I ovulated right on target without mood swings (or at least no worse than normal
9.gif
, head aches, sweats or any other side effect large or small. Nonetheless, I completely agree that it wouldn''t be wise to take Clomid in the absence of any fertility issues....

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Marriahlyn and Robert James!
emotion-19.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Marriahlyn!!!

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Marriahlyn! I was thinking about you b/c I knew you were due soon!
9.gif

Twins run on both sides of our families. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 16 month old and sometimes I think it would have been easier if they were twins. The 2 1/2 year old doesn''t want her brother playing with any of "her" toys (and to her, they are ALL her toys!). I have heard twins share a lot more.

I''m a pharmacist and we dispense quite a bit of Clomid where I work. I have never taken it but I have had some patients tell me about the nasty side effects - especially the headaches. There are injectible fertility drugs that increase ovulation, and thus increasing the chance of having twins. But you may wind up with having triplets or even more too!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Jaime! Can we see pics of little JR?

I did the Clomid thing too for quite a long time. Even with artificial insemination in addition to the Clomid, nothing happened. I had hot flashes and put on 15 pounds and had some serious mood swings. Of course, given the situation, every month was an emotional rollercoaster ride. We would be so optimistic that this time it would work only to be disappointed again and again.

We moved on to Pergonal which did the trick. With my second pregnancy (my daughter), I started out with twins, but very, very early on one of them did not make it. We were actually a little relieved since we already had one child, and for some reason three kids seemed like a much bigger number than two.

2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date
Jaime
brand new mom to Robert James 7/17/05
HI:

Wow! Congrats!

Ame: I seem to recall something about the increased propensity to conceiving multiples after JUST coming off oral contraception--although it is recommended to wait at least two full menstral cycles before trying, theoretically I believe it can occur. Yet maybe this was more true of the older higher dose BCP''s....certainly consult your MD, they might have the most recent medical research on this subject and "tricks" of the trade???????

cheers--Sharon

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, that''s interesting...I am on BCP. Same BCP Ive been on for years...maybe....Ill have to check that out. Mind you, we aren''t in a rush, won''t be for a while but I got to thinking about it the other day when I was asked for the millionth time since my wedding a month ago when Id be having kiddies.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results