shape
carat
color
clarity

Real random question.....How old is your Baking Powder?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LittleRock

Shiny_Rock
O.K., so I was cleaning out my cupboards trying to get more organized. And I was going through all my spices and baking stuff throwing out all the things that were expired AND by far the worst date was on my baking powder that expired in 95! I didn''t realize that stuff really expired
9.gif
I''m pretty sure I used it recently for my Christmas cooking
38.gif

I know I''m not the only one with expired goods in my cupboard
20.gif

FYI-In case anyone''s interested

Ground spices last 2-3 years
Whole spices last 3-4 years
Dried Herbs last 1-3 years
Seasoning blends last 1-2 years
Vanilla extract lasts indefinitely
All other extracts last about 4 years

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
And I thought I was the queen of random thoughts!
9.gif
Seriously though, thanks for the tip. It''s making me want to inspect my cabinets too.
19.gif

LittleRock

Shiny_Rock
LOL! And I have alot more where that came from!

I thought after-the-fact that it might have been to "dorky" of a question for PS.......
3.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Too funny. I toss mine about once every 6 months and replace with new. I store it in the pantry in a zip lock bag so it doesn''t take on the smell/flavor of the items around it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol i have so many spices and spice baggies and things i HOARD (excesses thread?)...i am sure a lot of it is expired, darn!!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 7:15:46 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Too funny. I toss mine about once every 6 months and replace with new. I store it in the pantry in a zip lock bag so it doesn''t take on the smell/flavor of the items around it.
I do this, too! I''m the gallon size baggie queen.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
that's funny. I literally just went though my spices last week and pitched everything that was expired. Although I didn't have anything from the 90's there were some early 2000 things in there. I don't think cooking with them can hurt you they just don't have much if any flavor. I don't know if baking powder would go bad for a time after the exp. date but I'd say you're definitely due for a new box
3.gif
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you thinking baking soda instead of baking powder? Because any baking powder I''ve ever bought comes in a container with an open metal top and plastic lid that doesn''t need secondary containment.

I''m sure most of my stuff has expired recently...some really old stuff I tossed but I''m sure some of it is past due! I actually used my baking powder to completion and I''m SURE that was old! But it worked...
3.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well this is timely. I just cleaned out my spice cabinet last week, and tossed a bunch of stuff. It felt great to throw it all out and buy brand new spices, powders etc...

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Haha. That''s funny...I was just wondering about baking soda the other day and if it expires. I was too lazy to check mine. I better go check. I haven''t bought one in years so I''m probably due for a new box as well!

LittleRock

Shiny_Rock
See, I knew it wasn''t just me.

And I must add that it sure feels good to have an organized kitchen again. I think the last time a was truly organized was...... 95!
9.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Random fact: Did you know honey never expires? There were pots of honey found in Egyptian tombs which was still edible... yes, the scientists tested it. Crazy, I know.

*M*

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I was just thinking of this today when I was baking and I had to use some baking soda that we keep in the freezer. Now, I know that stuff I have had in there for a little over a year... and I keep it opened. Maybe I will go and check the expiration date on it!
23.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always rotate new with old so the older gets used and I have a periodic cupboard clean out. I have found ten year old things, ugh. Some things have no dates at all so if I am not certain when I got them I toss them...no ptomaine in my house, or botulism either!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 10:32:15 PM
Author: Rosebud8506
I was just thinking of this today when I was baking and I had to use some baking soda that we keep in the freezer. Now, I know that stuff I have had in there for a little over a year... and I keep it opened. Maybe I will go and check the expiration date on it!
23.gif

That is to keep the smells in check. I have never heard of anyone using their fridge/freezer boxes to actually cook with. I think you are suppose to change those every 6 months.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2007 10:35:29 PM
Author: diamondfan
I always rotate new with old so the older gets used and I have a periodic cupboard clean out. I have found ten year old things, ugh. Some things have no dates at all so if I am not certain when I got them I toss them...no ptomaine in my house, or botulism either!
I''m on this side of the fence, better safe than sorry...I am always tossing things! My DH is always like, "honey where is that chicken you made the other night?" and I''ll say "I threw it out--it was from last WEEK!" etc. We also have a tiny kitchen with limited cabinet space, so every time I go to the grocery store I have to do some purging to make sure there is room for everything I buy!

I was also aware that honey supposedly never expires, but I throw it out anyway. Who really wants to eat honey that''s been sitting in a cabinet forever? Something about that just grosses me out, even though I know it doesn''t go bad.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I take my spices very seriously. I toss them after 1 year for sure. After 6 months they''re losing flavor, even if you store them in air tight bags... so after a year, toss them. I buy smaller quantities from an online spice company so that I can rotate them often -- no huge jars that stay around for years. Your taste buds will thank you!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 8:09:03 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Are you thinking baking soda instead of baking powder? Because any baking powder I''ve ever bought comes in a container with an open metal top and plastic lid that doesn''t need secondary containment.

I''m sure most of my stuff has expired recently...some really old stuff I tossed but I''m sure some of it is past due! I actually used my baking powder to completion and I''m SURE that was old! But it worked...
3.gif
I sure am, DUH!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 10:48:27 PM
Author: monarch64
Date: 2/6/2007 10:35:29 PM

Author: diamondfan

I''m on this side of the fence, better safe than sorry...I am always tossing things! My DH is always like, ''honey where is that chicken you made the other night?'' and I''ll say ''I threw it out--it was from last WEEK!'' etc. We also have a tiny kitchen with limited cabinet space, so every time I go to the grocery store I have to do some purging to make sure there is room for everything I buy!

I was also aware that honey supposedly never expires, but I throw it out anyway. Who really wants to eat honey that''s been sitting in a cabinet forever? Something about that just grosses me out, even though I know it doesn''t go bad.

My hubby has an iron stomach and would eat things that are fuzzy and talk back to him. I have no desire to. Once my son ate a mini bagel, I then noticed a bit of mold and freaked but realized that is where penicillin comes from so it could not be too bad. I am ALWAYS tossing things, will not take a chance. I have also recently starting using a permanent marker and little food labels so I can at least date certain things, and know what is what, I tell you I have things in my freezer that are older than my youngest who is 5. I buy stuff, do not eat it, put it in the freezer, never use it and toss it when it has freezer burn! What a system!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I went thru my stuff in November before Thanksgiving. I made sure I had new powder and soda so my baking would turn out.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
some people say the freezer is the best place for some spices...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results