shape
carat
color
clarity

RE recommendation in NYC/ hair loss help

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good reproductive endocrinologist in NYC? Bonus points if it's a woman who takes Oxford insurance. 

A little background on me. I'm 36 & have been ttc for over 9 months. I have also been losing my hair rapidly since I went off birth control, though looking back, I guess I've been shedding a lot for a long time, but I always had thick hair & lots of it, so I thought it was part of the territory. It's just now getting to the point where it is visibly thin/receding. (I can see my scalp in the front.) Needless to say, I'm freaking out. 

I have some, but not all symptoms of pcos & just had an ultrasound on Monday & was diagnosed with a mild case after my RE found cysts on my ovaries. I have only seen my current RE twice, but I find I feel rushed in our appointments. I don't feel he's compassionate or sensitive to my needs & his treatment plan (clomid & iui) seems to address only the desire for a pg, & not the pcos problems. 

I would love to have a child, but I'm not sure I'm willing to go bald to do it.

If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.  I'm not in a good place right now. 

RMFA

Rough_Rock
Brightspot -

I too have PCOS and went to an amazing RE here in NYC. While they do definately focus on getting you pg....mine also was concerned about managing my symptoms and quality of life as well.

While we did end up doing metformin, synthroid, clomid and and IUI together -- it was successful in the end (combined with accupuncture!). I am now pregnant with my son and due in January.

Throughout my pregnancy I have stayed on metformin (for the first 12 weeks) and have been on synthroid through out.

My RE worked with my OB when I graduated to mantain my (and my baby) health and then I will go to a regular endocrinologist once this little guy is born.

I saw Dr. Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University Center for Women's Reproductive Health. Their office is right near Columbus Circle.

I also found their whole practice to be caring and compassionate throughout the months that I was there for treatments and then monitoring in early pregnancy.

Good luck!

gongjoo143

Shiny_Rock
You can check out Center for Reproductive Medicine and Infertility and NYU Fertility Center. I have referred many patients and they are supposed to be fantastic and have high success rates.

Best of luck to you!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
While we're on the topic...I'm in NYC too...anyone know a good RE preferably associated with St Lukes and who takes Aetna? :bigsmile: I have a referral to a very well respected RE but have read some not so great reviews about their rushed bedside manner and one-size-fits all treatment. I LOVE my OBGYN but am not really thrilled with this RE recommendation, so I am looking for some other options...

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Bella and Bright, check this thread - there are a few names of NYC REs - http://www.urbanbaby.com/talk/posts/50571534

Owen Davis at Cornell - gets great reviews on vitals.com
Licciardi at NYU
Spandorfer

You will have to check on insurance though.

Good luck - I used to live in NYC and I'm in the DC area now. Going to see an RE tomorrow for my first visit. Wish I was still in NYC for this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results