shape
carat
color
clarity

Rap Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

carbon lover

Rough_Rock
I''ve heard that the Rap Sheet shows retail prices. Can anyone tell me what percentage under retail I can expect to pay if I go to the following:

1. A diamond retailer

2. A diamond wholesaler

10.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings K

In answer to your question (from a retailer) we can sell you stones off of Rap for as far back as 50% or as high as full list or even a little over.

Rap says nothing to cut quality and cut quality will usually be the determining factor to how the stone is priced in relation to Rap.

You want a 1ct G VS2 for 25% off rap? We can get it. You want one that's around rap? I can get that too and I could also demonstrate to you why one cost what it does as well and why. If you'd like to read more about the various cut qualities and how they affect value feel free to browse our site by clicking on the link at the bottom.

A diamond wholesaler will not sell to you. If you find a wholesaler who is retailing then they are a fraud and they are truly not wholesalers. The places where I purchase my stones from only sell to the trade and do not deal with the public. If they do then they are BY DEFINITION NOT wholesalers.

Peace,
Rhino

----------------
On 1/23/2003 12:41
6.gif
7 AM k pouch wrote:

I've heard that the Rap Sheet shows retail prices. Can anyone tell me what percentage under retail I can expect to pay if I go to the following:

1. A diamond retailer

2. A diamond wholesaler

10.gif

----------------

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi K pouch,
Rapaport Is guide for wholesalers ,.. Rhino is right, there are different levels of wholesale,... but True wholesaler does not sell to the public.
However there are wholesalers who sell to public but at resonable retail prices. Why? They like to make the extra money and it's true for them to say they are wholesaler, from their position as Importer, Cutter, whatever,... the sale is much easier to the public since the person buying the item feels like is avoiding the huge overhead of a jewelry store,...True, the price is still fair but think about it, if you are not buying the same volume as the true wholesaler needs to make a profit, how can you expect the same price when buying just one stone? There are dealers who are retail/wholesale and if you can find one, you will save money,...

Since the diamonds industry is very competitive, don't expect too much of a difference between on line prices and the wholesale you are talking about.
If I was in your shoes, I would be concentrating on finding a honest dealer/broker. Honest, meaning a person who knows the business and is willing to help you, not him self. Honest meaning person with good reputation of representing diamonds to the retail customer. And believe me there are very few of them around!,... Certifficates in this business often means nothing,... Some dealers have relationship with the labs that are helping them upgrade the diamond on the paper.
People who are looking for a true wholesaler often look for a great price and they often THINK they got one,...
Go to Cosco, they are kind of "wholesaler" sure they sell at 10% above the prices they buy,.. Can a retailer do that? I don't think so,...
Costco sells at 50% off Rap sure they sell only low color diamonds and only VS2 clarity and average cut, but they have a 30 day 100% money back no questions asked!
This works for most people because the end result is (A) money saved and (B)she is happy with her new I/VS2 sparkler, Because she has received it from someone she trully cares about,..
Best,
George
GLE Gem Imports

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Certifficates in this business often means nothing,... Some dealers have relationship with the labs that are helping them upgrade the diamond on the paper.
-----------

George, in the interest of "clearing" the labs that would never even begin to think of doing this, would you list the labs which you believe do this?

Or alternatively, would you list the labs which you think would never do this?

GIA, for example. Do you think they would do this? AGS? EGL? HRD?

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
I agree with richard , no legitamte lab that is really concerned about their future business, would sacrifice their livelyhood by misgrading.
My advise is that you should buy a stone that has any of the well known labs. throughout the world such as:G.I.A, E.G.L, OR I.G.I.
Also your best bet is to purchase over the net,you would not believe the low mark up that most of them work on,it is really almost at wholesale!! (They also offer return policies.)
Your best bet is to "shop and compare"

good luck
diamondsman
1.gif

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi Rich,
I would not disclose the labs I had in mind but I still reccommend each buyer take his/her purchase to independent GG like your self to verify the issued grades,... You and I both know there are buyers and sellers labs and there is nothing any of us can do to change it.
Diamondsman,
There are MANY legitimate labs, but only a handfull is reputable. Sorry to say that,...
And Yes, Even the most trusted labs would have a slight variations in grading. My business is mostly colored diamonds where one shade of color makes a HUGE difference in price . I trust GIA and rarely deal with anybody else. Not saying that HRD or AGS Is as good or even better,..
Best
George
GLE Gem Imports

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results