shape
carat
color
clarity

Rant

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Ladies,

I'm so furious I'm crying. I hate my university. I just got an e-mail from the director of nursing saying that I have to renew my CPR before school starts or I cannot attend class. I am CPR certified through the American Red Cross. My damn nursing school is now requiring we be certified through the American Heart Association and the American Heart Association only. They decide to tell me this FIVE DAYS before class begins. I'm pissed. Livid. There's no way I can take the course before school starts, and I'm going to miss at least the first week of class, because THEY are too stupid to give us enough notice. She said that we were notified last year. Well, I wasn't. Not to mention that I already AM certified for the next TWO YEARS! There is no one 'higher-up' to talk to. It's final. I don't know what to do. I hate this school. ;( :angryfire:

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
O, i am so sorry hon. Is there anyone to take/register for the class and go, but show them that you are going to attend the training with some sort of a recpiet or notice from the heart assoication. That sucks so close to class starting, i would ask for an extension.

mocha2204

Shiny_Rock
oh.. thats not good!!!

*hugss* to you Mashira.
hopefully things get better soon!

diamondbuggy

Shiny_Rock
I don't have any advice for you, Mashira, but I wanted to say I hope things work out for you soon!
So sorry you have to go through this. ***HUGS***

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock
Well I know that these two entities (AHA and RC) are two somewhat different forms of CPR so it's understandable why your nursing school would prefer the AHA, but it still sucks that you weren't really told about that. Do you know anyone who teaches CPR that could get you a card so you can start your classes and then take the class as soon as you can?

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock
It is also my understanding that the AHA is rolling out new regulations later this year/early next year so you'll probably just have to re-cert anyway. I think they should give you a grace period or something! Sheesh.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Don't you just hate college sometimes? I am dealing with an issue almost as aggravating as yours. Last semester when I went to register for classes I discovered that three of the four classes I have to take are only offered from 4:30-7 PM on Tues, Wed and Thurs. So, I was already pi**ed that I had to be at school, not working, three nights out of the week. At my job, I can only work between the hours of 2-6 PM Monday through Friday. So those night classes cut out three days of work for me. Then I got an email on Thursday (classes start this coming Monday) that the only morning class I had is now being switched to a night class!! A week before classes start they decide to do this and I now have absolutely no idea what I am going to do about work. I have now been frantically searching to find a job because I cannot live off of 4 hours a week!

I'm sorry you are dealing with stuff like this too. It aggravates me so much and I was really upset when I found all this out. So I really know how you feel. BF took me out to dinner though and that helped some :)

I would just call and see if there is anyway the school can grant you an extension. Or, call AHA and see if they can schedule a new class for you. If you have a few other people who would take it with you, they may go ahead and schedule a class just for you all. I am CPR certified through AHA for my job, but my boss always sets it up. Anytime we have the class, it is only for me and my co-workers. So, maybe they would do that for you too? It's worth a try.

Hope things work out!

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
At this point you have your answer from the administration, so I'd stop trying to appeal or explain to them. Just do what you have to do.

Seperately, talk to each professor or instructor individually and calmly explain the situation. Ask if you can at least sit in the class even if you are not allowed to participate or do labs. Most professors will try to be understanding if you show the initiative to learn and that you are doing everything in your power to rectify the situation. A lot of academics experience administrative blocks and get quite frustrated with the administrators, so I think if you try to spin it as "I will fulfill the requirements because I have to, but while i am, we should continue this learning process" and try to get the professor on your side, you'll get a lot further.

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
Zipzapgirl, I think you're right. I took that approach however, and was turned down.

I have to have the HLS/Health Care Provider training and it seems there aren't many of those classes readily available. The change in certification is due to the new AHA changes. I completely agree that our certifications should be up to date, however as yall have said, I expect to be given notice well in advance. I was able to get in contact with another school that does the training and they have been perfect sweethearts, they are allowing me to come into their classroom, during their Nursing School time, although I'm not enrolled, just to take the course. I'll be doing that tonight and I'll have my card in hand on the first day of classes.

Mayflowers, I'm so sorry to hear that =( Yes, school can most definitely be aggravating but luckily it doesn't last forever. I'll be finished this December, so this is the last semester I have to deal with these idiots, and I'm most certainly not going back to this school for my NP/PhD! I'll also be discouraging everyone else I know from attending their nursing program.

Thanks for all the comfort ladies, it's really helped! ((HUGS))

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to wish you luck. This is just a bump in the road!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:(sad

My university gave me the runaround with lots of stuff too, it's pretty unbelievable what they will sometimes do with straight faces :sick:

Are you just not able to register for these classes, or are you not able to attend at all? If it's just a registration issue I'd sit in, miss labwork/patient studies as needed, and kick up an almighty fuss with the dean later about any late registration fees..

Ugh, sorry Mashira, what a PITA!

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
Most certainly a PITA, but it's finished with now. I went in from 6pm-10pm and got re-certified. Tomorrow I just have to drop off the update to the dean and I'm all set for classes which begin on the 23rd.

The response I got infuriated me, "Call ------ to find CPR classes before school begins. You were given ample time to renew."
I wanted to... well, let's just suffice it to say I thought it best not to respond to that e-mail. I checked with a few other students and they agree that we were not "informed last year" as the director alleged. Bah! I just keep reminding myself it's only until December, then I'll never have to see them again.

It actually turned out that two girls in the CPR class that I talked to were considering my university because it has a very good reputation around these parts (I have no idea why). I dissuaded them from applying. I feel like it's my moral duty to help other unknowing innocents stay far, far away from this schools nursing program. It's the least I can do. The university is private, and so once you're in none of your credits transfer anywhere, and you're pretty much stuck or you have to re-do everything that you have already done. :angryfire:

luvshinyrocks

Rough_Rock
Higher education has become such a dirty business.

Name and shame!

dawnabee

Shiny_Rock
sorry you have to deal with this so close to your classes starting! ((( HUGSS to you)))

Keep your chin up this too will pass

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results